mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Solo -air Lyrik and Avalanche cartridge - any thoughts?

Hi all,
    I recently installed a 2012 Lyrik RC2L (solo-air) on my 5Spot...and I hate it. I took off a Revelation RLT-Ti (dual-air) that was butter smooth, just not very stout.

The Lyrik feels like garbage in comparison. It's stiff, but requires a ton of sag for small bump compliance and will never get more than 130mm of travel. The Lyrik feels like it has about 100mm of travel since it ramps so hard, so fast into it's travel. Things I've already tried: pulling the floodgate, and lowering the oil volume on the damper side. It was a little high from the factory so I went just a hair low of the recommended oil volume. Still no better than before.

I'm looking to either throw in the towel on the Lyrik and go to a Wotan (not really into Fox's offerings or 15mm faux standard axles), or throw more money into this thing with an Avy cartridge.

I have the Avy in my Boxxer and it works fantastic. But I'm not sure how much of that is related to the coil in the Boxxer. I'm mostly looking for before/after thoughts on those who are running the Avy on a solo-air Lyrik, because I think the problem with this fork is the over simplified design of the solo-air mechanism. I don't know if even a wave of the magic Avy wand can fix that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry, I cant offer experience with the Avy cart, but Ive got a 2012 Solo Air RC2 DH Lyrik. Ive been thinking about the Avy cart myself. I dont think there is anything bad about the air spring. If you want over-simplified take a look at the Fox. They have no negative spring, whic causes a ton of ramp up there.

The issue with the Lyriks seems to be in the compression damping. Im going to start out with tuning the shim stack in the compression damper. The MiCo damper is really easy to pull out, and the new MiCo dampers have 7 shimss in the stack, so you can simply remove a couple to see a big difference in feel. According to Avy shim tuning is just a "band-aid fix on a horrible design", which may or may not be true, but since its not very hard to get in there, and its FREE, I think its a good place to start before dropping over $400 for an Avy cart.

mtbr member
    I have a ton of experience with that fork and can tell you that the limiting factor is the air cartridge and NOT the damper system. In order to make a SA compliant over small stutter bumps you need to go so low in air pressure (55 psi) that it bottoms. Then when you pump up to 75 psi so it doesn't bottom (...as harshly) then all small bump compliance goes out the window. There is really only one cure and that's to pull the air cartridge and throw in the trash. Get a coil kit (parts were listed in a thread I'd posted a while back) and call it DONE. You will be super impressed with the fork then, especially if you get the DH damper and rebound system that uses the entire inside width of the stanchion (more oil = better fork). Even Craig at Avy told me that the first thing I needed to do was convert it to coil so take it from the man himself!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like I'll need to drop more money on this thing than it actually cost to begin with. I can't believe this thing retails for over a $1000 and feels like it does. I might just chalk this up as a loss, sell it, and go back to my Revelation. I've had two dual-air RS forks that just felt infinitely better than the 2 solo-airs I've now ridden. I'm guessing substituting dual-air for solo-air was simply a cost cutting measure on Rock Shox's part.

Thanks for the coil suggestion. I just haven't had much luck sizing up with RS coils. I'm either over or under sprung every time...that's the appeal of air to me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Funny, when I talked to him Craig had nothing bad to say about the spring, but nothing BUT bad to say about the dampers (both compression and rebound) calling them garbage and essentially saying this, and most factory dampers are garbage. His contention was that custom tuned is the ONLY way to go.

While I agree that a fully custom damper for each individual is a best case scenario, it is not realistically feasible for high volume manufactuers or the public that would have to pick up the price tag. On top of that, many mountain bikers are only casually involved in the sport and even if they could afford the custom damper on top of the already high price of modern mtn bikes, they would likley not even notice the difference becuase theyre not pushing the bikes or themselves.

Hopefully by this weekend I'll be completing my shim stack mods and will have an actual first had account to report back on, but in the meantime there is a whole other thread here where others modded their MiCo dampers and reported much better feeling forks with the still stock SA spring.

What?
    I agree with gman. Coil is the only way to go with a Lyrik. The Mission control damper is not great(still good though), but its more than good enough for 90% of the people who ride. Tune the shim stacks (especially rebound) and it gets even better.

But back to the point, ditch the air spring for a coil and you will be much happier. Totally worth it and it will solve your problems.

Knollician
    I have a 2010 Solo Air with an Avy cartridge that I have been running for over a year. It is the best thing you can do to a fork. I don't have an issue with the solo air chamber, mine functions exceptional. With the Avy damper you will gain great small, mid and end stroke dampening. I am about 200lbs geared up and run 55psi in the fork, and ride very techy, rough, granite trails in Phoenix. Bottom out is not an issue with the Avy, brake dive is a non-issue, and small and mid sized bumps are eaten up nicely.

I would get the damper. You will then have the BEST fork on the market, period. A fork custom tuned with an Avy cartridge will outperform any aftermarket competitors.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I would get the damper. You will then have the BEST fork on the market, period. A fork custom tuned with an Avy cartridge will outperform any aftermarket competitors.
    So you have also tried Elka Stage 4 cartridge? How did Avalanche cartridge compare to Elka cartridge? Did you custom tune both cartridges and if you did what kind of tune did you prefer (as sensitive as possible vs platform damping, bighit performance?)? I'm really curious about the options although I own a custom tuned Totem instead of Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm not quite there yet when it comes to getting a coil spring for my Lyrik and honestly, I don't think there's a coil for my 225lb frame. I am curious to try out messing with the shims. My problem is that I cannot get that damn nut loose to get to them. I have a 2013 RC2DH. Is the locknut on your guys' damper stuck as well?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    I'm not quite there yet when it comes to getting a coil spring for my Lyrik and honestly, I don't think there's a coil for my 225lb frame. I am curious to try out messing with the shims. My problem is that I cannot get that damn nut loose to get to them. I have a 2013 RC2DH. Is the locknut on your guys' damper stuck as well?
    its tough to get it off the first time. Once you do get it loose, its never a problem again.

An x-firm coil would work for your weight. Its understandable that you dont want to make the switch, but a coil fork will always have better small bump sensitivity than an air spring. There is no seal drag to overcome.

mtbr member
    Any recommendations on where to order the spring assembly from?

Out of curiosity how much do you way and which spring are you running?

Thanks in advance.

Tg

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I have a ton of experience with that fork and can tell you that the limiting factor is the air cartridge and NOT the damper system. In order to make a SA compliant over small stutter bumps you need to go so low in air pressure (55 psi) that it bottoms. Then when you pump up to 75 psi so it doesn't bottom (...as harshly) then all small bump compliance goes out the window. There is really only one cure and that's to pull the air cartridge and throw in the trash. Get a coil kit (parts were listed in a thread I'd posted a while back) and call it DONE. You will be super impressed with the fork then, especially if you get the DH damper and rebound system that uses the entire inside width of the stanchion (more oil = better fork). Even Craig at Avy told me that the first thing I needed to do was convert it to coil so take it from the man himself!

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    G-Air,

Try universalcycles.com for the parts. They have TONS of small parts like that, so if you can track down what part numbers are needed for the coil coversion, there's a really good chance they will have them.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I go 175 and run the firm spring with little compression damping and it works phenomenal for AM to full blown FR use. Got my setup from Chad at Redbarn (tell him I sent you). I guarantee no amount of damping is going to allow that for a Lyrik using the SA chamber. There is no question Craig's (owner of Avy) damper is the best (I'm actually using his setup for my rear shock) but the limiting factor for me and where I ride is the spring system for a Lyrik.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!