mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Soft Tail Shock Removal - Trek STP 200

Hello,
    I recently purchased a 2001 Trek STP 200 Carbon frame mountain bike. I would like to remove the rear shock - Rock Shox SID Dual Air so that I can have the seals replaced. However, the seemingly simple task of removing a few bolts and pulling out the shock is not going that well.

The part that attaches to the seat post is free/movable, the other end that attaches to the chain stays is the part that seems to be stuck. Being that its a carbon frame I am trying not to flex the stays that much. Anyone have any tricks to get the shock out?

Here is a photo:

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Never having a need to remove one of those, I don't have any practical experience. But, I was under the impression that those were simply bolted on to the frame. I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but have you looked under the seatstay at the bottom of the shock to see if there is a bolt with a paint layer helping it blend in to the frame?

A replacement looks like this:

So I'm guessing that the SID has a similar hole across the end where the bolt holds it in place. Just a thought. Hopefully a more experienced mind will come along to share its knowledge.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the reply...

I believe I have all the bolts out. The sid doesnt look exactly like the one you pictured. the bottom (smaller) end that would attach to the wheel end of the frame slides into a metal piece that then uses two screws to clamp itself firmly around the shock. That is the part I cant seem to free up.

Is it safe to use wd40 on a carbon frame? Maybe that will loosen it up.

Also how much can I flex the rear chain stays on a carbon frame without doing damage? I might be able to wiggle it out but not without moving the frame around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Never having a need to remove one of those, I don't have any practical experience. But, I was under the impression that those were simply bolted on to the frame. I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but have you looked under the seatstay at the bottom of the shock to see if there is a bolt with a paint layer helping it blend in to the frame?

A replacement looks like this:

So I'm guessing that the SID has a similar hole across the end where the bolt holds it in place. Just a thought. Hopefully a more experienced mind will come along to share its knowledge.

FYI I resized the image above so you can see it better...sorry it was so large. If you look down near the bottom by the brake cable, you will see the blue housing that the shock sits in. On the back side of the blue housing there are two screws (that I can remove) that are used to "pinch" the shock in order to hold it in place. That is where I can't get the shock loose and I am afraid of flexing the carbon to much.

Ideas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    here is a better image of how the shock attaches to the seat stays - which I am unable to get loose when the 2 pinch bolts are removed.

Still looking for help/ideas in removing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my moots ybb uses a similar pinch-type setup. if you are sure there isn't a third bolt securing the bottom of the shock...

1. get two pennies
    2. remove the two bolts and run them in from the opposite direction
    3. use the pennies to prevent the bolts from entering the other side of the clamp
    4. as you turn the bolts in (1/16 of a turn at a time), the lower mount will spread, allowing you to ease the shock up and out
    5. it may be better to just slightly open up the clamp, and then tap the shock up with a wooden dowel/mallet

is the seatstay mount metal or cf with a metal insert? be careful spreading, my advice is for a ti bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    after you get the bottom mount loose, you might be able to make yourself more room by dropping the air pressure in the shock and collapsing it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the advice...

I don't think there is any type of bolt going into it from the bottom. To me it looks like some type of pressed in cap (in the pinch clamp - think of a star nut but not a star - just a circle to fill the hole) to simply keep the shock from passing completely through the clamp. There is a small hole in the middle of this 'cap' I will check to see if there is a small allen in there, but I doubt it - it would have to be on the 3mm or so size.

I have let all the air out of the shock so it can compress easily when I try to pull it out.

I dont know that a dowel rod and hammer is a good idea - i suppose it would be ok if i kept the top mount bolted - to keep the rear CF stays from flexing to much??

The seat stays are CF but there the shock inserts its a metal (aluminum i suppose) upside down 'U' that the CF stays are fitted to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    a little visualization for the spreading technique, don't do this far though...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/2892246477/

this is how a ybb is taken apart:
    http://www.moots.com/pdf/ybb_maint.pdf

the same, but totally different...worse comes to worst, call/write trek. the design has to allow for shock removal for service intervals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    what lubes are safe to use on CF frames. I believe I have used up all of my Teflon lube recently but I am new to CF and don't want to use something like WD-40 that will eat it away.

I assume some lube put around the clamp area might be helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did finally get the shock off, and have had it rebulit by Kevin at Suspension Experts - mtbsuspensionexperts.com. I must say they did a great job - less than $100 and shipped out and back in less than a week.

Now my question is how do I put it back in - Of course they shipped it back full of air. My real question is can I remove the valve cores so the air can flow freely as the shock is compressed? that is how I was able to remove it. If I leave the valve cores in, I can let all the air pressure out, but once you start compressing it - whatever air that is in the can gets compressed and works against you.

Below is a better photo of what I am working with.