mtbr member

Small amount of play in Manitou Tower Pro

Today I got the fork installed on the bike, and everything seems good so far except that there is a little bit of play in the first few mm of travel, as if there isn't any resistance at all. For example, if I pick up the bike by the handlebars and jolt the front wheel back and forth, the lowers on the fork seem to "move" up and down a little. Is this normal, and if not, how can the problem be alleviated?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    Today I got the fork installed on the bike, and everything seems good so far except that there is a little bit of play in the first few mm of travel, as if there isn't any resistance at all. For example, if I pick up the bike by the handlebars and jolt the front wheel back and forth, the lowers on the fork seem to "move" up and down a little. Is this normal, and if not, how can the problem be alleviated?
    Here is a pictiure of the inner workings of the Mar's air spring - should have zero "play". Air sping piston preloads spring rod then coil spring then spring shaft rod.

http://www.jonesparkchronicles.com/M...d_Increase.jpg

Has the fork been apart ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you mean as in a loose damper or spring rod? If its a new issue check it out. Probably needs a service anyway?
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Do you mean as in a loose damper or spring rod? If its a new issue check it out. Probably needs a service anyway?
    I mean when you compress the fork, the first few millimeters of travel feel like they don't have any sort of resistance.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    I mean when you compress the fork, the first few millimeters of travel feel like they don't have any sort of resistance.
    My minute pro is like that too. The spring is not quite long enough to push the compression pushrod out all the way. It is about 1/8" worth. If you increase the air pressure, it helps recover a little bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    My minute pro is like that too. The spring is not quite long enough to push the compression pushrod out all the way. It is about 1/8" worth. If you increase the air pressure, it helps recover a little bit.
    Ok, I'll try that tip out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Play or looseness is usually felt if you hold the front wheel down and compress / extend the fork. You could invert the bike and remove the front wheel then lightly compress / extend the lowers - should be no looseness.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to resurrect this thread by a few months guys but I have the exact same problem. Muffinhead did you ever figure out a fix for it? Because of the minimal resistance when I"m riding over some rocky areas sometimes I feel like the fork is chattering a little bit because there isn't much resistance.

mtbr member
    I have a few Minute Pro and Nixon Super models, they all have a smidge of travel upfront, even with the X-Firm spring. It should be just a bit of sag, it's a good thing as it helps the wheel follow ruts smoothing out the ride. I'm a fan of the MARS system, I also have a Coil RS Sektor and SoloAir Recon 20mm, but in my opinion, the MARS based pro blows them away in feel (and my Recon has been upgraded to dual-flow rebound like Manitou already has).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ah that's great to hear, really helps relieve some anxiety from a new fork haha. Initially there seemed to be some sort of top out clunk from the small amount of play. If I would slightly weight, then unweight the fork to activate the small amount of travel with low resistance there would be a low sounding clunk, but I've been riding the fork nonstop and it seems to have fixed itself so I'm attributing it to the break in period

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemcnulty23 View Post
    Ah that's great to hear, really helps relieve some anxiety from a new fork haha. Initially there seemed to be some sort of top out clunk from the small amount of play. If I would slightly weight, then unweight the fork to activate the small amount of travel with low resistance there would be a low sounding clunk, but I've been riding the fork nonstop and it seems to have fixed itself so I'm attributing it to the break in period
    Yeah, that's normal... My Minute and Nixon MRD's all do it. the top out clunk is annoying.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....