singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

Slikfit - 20mm fork mount for rooftop rack... any experiences?

x-post car & biker forum, with no replies at all over there for the last week.

I recently entered the world of 20mm forks with a rock shox pike, which uses their "maxle" (no tool wheel removal) quick-release system.

So I am in the market for a new fork-mount roof top rack. The Fataxle by Slikfit looks like a much better option than using a hurricane forkup along with my existing Yakima Steelhead for a rooftop rack.

I am seriously considering their "fataxle" (no trays/straps included) for $69 a piece, and using my existing yakima trays and straps. I assume this is what they had in mind when they decided to sell just the front fork mount by itself... but I would like to get this verified by someone who owns one.

Can anyone that uses one vouch for their quailty (or lack of), ease of use, and ergonomics of their products

see them here:
    http://www.slikfit.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DoubleDiamond; 02-08-2007 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i would just find a rack that holds the front of the bike by the wheel, its a pain to have to keep taking off a 20mm front wheel.

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

20mm pike mount...

Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    i would just find a rack that holds the front of the bike by the wheel, its a pain to have to keep taking off a 20mm front wheel.

Have you seen how a pike 20mm axle works? Throw a QR lever, spin the lever 2-3 rotations, then the whole axle slides out. just as easy as a standard QR wheel.

I would really like to stay with a fork-mount rack for 2 reasons
    1)better stability at speed/corners/sidewinds
    and
    2)better aerodynamics.

mtbr member
    I am curious as well!! I need to get something ASAP and I really don't want to go the Fork Up route unless I have to. Please post if you have tried this.

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

Update: Faxle on sale - 40% off at Price Point

Price point has the Faxle on sale for $39.98 (down form $70) until the 4/30.

Just ordered two, without ANY feedback on here (guess I will be the MTBR guinea pig). Will let y'all know how this works out after I get them installed.

I have no clue

How are the SlikFit FatAxle working for you?

How are the SlikFit FatAxle working for you?

I'm thinking of getting a pair cause they are cheap but I really cant find any reviews on them

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004
    after a few requests, I did do a review here in the car & biker forum:
    Slikfit racks for 20mm forks?