RIDE TO LIVE

SID XX world cup with RCT3 damper

I have searched all over the place to see if anyone has switched the DNA damper in the SID XX world cup with an RCT3? I would like to set up my Pivot Les with this package if feasible.

mtbr member
    I did it last week. Pull the damper, dump the oil, measure new oil, pour it in, install damper, cycle fork and roll.

It takes about four minutes.

mk

RIDE TO LIVE
    Thanks trailbildr. Can you offer some comments on how the fork is preforming and how much it cost to buy the RCT3 damper? What type of bike/riding/racing do you do? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Also curious how the RCT3 performs relative to the XX.

Thanks.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    The RCT3 damper has fully open, adjustable gate and super-firm compression settings (that's 3). I don't use the fully open very often. I set the gate a few turns off of fully open so I get a little compression threshold (low-speed) and run it like that all the time. The lock out (it's not a lock out, but it's a lock out for us) is for fire road and road climbs. Fully open is for extended descents.

There is a bit more fluid in the RCT3 damper set up so RockShox calls it the descenders damper as it is more likely to hold up as it heats up.

The main difference is the handlebar mount. I don't use suspension like that and I like to go downhill fast. You can get all the adjustment out of the RCT3 damper so I think it's a superior damper for my needs. Again, it's mainly the remote that is the difference.

mk

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Do you notice improved performance on the descents vs the XX damper? Less dive under hard braking and cornering as a result of a better compression damping circuit?

mtbr member
    No, I didn't notice a huge difference. I think you'd be fine either way, and I think you can get whatever feeling you want out of either damper. I replaced mine because I had a spare and I know I'm not going to use the remote. And I didn't want more stuff on my handlebar. And I didn't want more housing crawling around on the front of my bike.

Honestly, I'd say it's mostly academic. If you aren't happy with the XX damper, I'd say you should get some help to get it dialed. I have to walk people through how their suspension works all the time. I don't think it's getting intuitive, even with Fox's CTD market position...

mk

mtbr member
    Well I switched out my XX damper for the RCT3. I felt the difference was very noticeable. I moslty run it in the threshold (middle) setting. I'm very impressed with it.

The fork feels like it has an added 1" of travel, it's not always diving into the travel when the bike is pointed downhill. The threshold setting has a much more seamless transition from locked to progressing through the travel than the than the XX damper floodgate and it is much more controlled when open than the XX damper. I have much more control on rough, high speed descents. The only place I switch from the threshold setting to the open setting is low speed rock crawling.