mtbr member
    Feb 2009

should i use a headlock?

I bought a used fork and the steer tube is a bit short. The top of steer tube to the top of the stem has a gap of 10mm. I already took out the spacer and my head set is pretty flat, with a stack height of 20mm and the stem height is 40mm. I know there are shorter stack heights of stems and headsets but would I just be better off buying a headlock?

Oh and if it matters the style of riding I mainly do a aggressive cross country.

Former Bike Wrench
    Crank Bros are about the shortest standard headset stack height, top stack height is 10.53mm (total is 20.56mm...most headsets are closer to 30mm)

40mm is pretty standard for the stem, though I'm sure there are shorter ones out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have seem the short stack height stems (35mm) but most of them are like a BMX and doesn’t have the stem length I need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i have this issue too, my steerer is about 8-10 mmm below the top of the stem, even with a semi integrated H/S and no spacers, i think its OK for now as the steerer is under both stem bolts, but i too have wondered wether a headlock is a good idea?!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A headlock is only a bandaid fix which doesn't address the root problem. While it may keep your headset from loosening since your stem doesn't have enough clamp area, you're still running the risk of serious damage to your stem or steerer tube. Have a your stem or steerer break while riding it a very bad thing.

~Disc~Golf~
    what about using something like THIS and flipping the stem if need be.

I don't know what the clamping area dimension is though - so it may not help
    Honestly... ahh I give up