yep

Should I consider a Fox Air Volume Spacer? Float CTD

I just got a new Enduro with Float CTD suspension. I've found that in the rear goes through the travel too easily even over small jumps. I also cannot seem to get a 25% sag, only about 40% or so. I'm about 200lbs(more with gear) and I've been reading about the air volume spacers and have been wondering if it will be a good idea.

I'm new to biking and don't completely understand suspension. But from my understanding, the spacer allows you to use less air pressure in the shock while still being able to absorb all the force without bottoming out as easy. Is that correct?

I've also read a lot about people being really unhappy with CTD forks. Im so new I haven't really noticed yet, but I'd like to do whatever I can to help the front suspension as well. It sounds like some people put shock fluid in the fork. What exactly does that do, and would you recommend it?

I'm just trying to get the suspension set up well for me so by the time the season is in full swing I wont have to worry about it as much. I appreciate any input you guys have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Volume spacers reduce the air can volume increasing the compression ratio as the shock moves through its travel. Volume reduction has a greater effect on end stroke action. I used the largest volume reducer in my LV RP23 and kept the same air pressure, sag did NOT change. Are you running maximum air perssure in the shock? I'd install a volume spacer (if still needed) after you achieve the proper sag. Use a spacer to add bottomout control not to correct improper sag.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    spacers are for the rear shock only, fyi.

you should not have a problem getting correct SAG on the fork and shock, if you're not getting that you have the air pressure too high or too low, add PSI to reduce SAG, remove PSI to increase SAG, usually in about 5 psi increments (fork or shock).

IF you are getting harsh bottom-out when you have correct SAG, THEN you start thinking about spacers in the rear shock.

For example, on my bike, I initially was getting some harsh bottom out on larger drops (say about 3-4' to flat), and to prevent that I had to increase PSI such that my SAG was too little and I didn't like the ride. My shock is a 2012 Fox RP23 HV. I added the *smallest* Fox air volume spacer and that has solved my issue. The medium was too large (I tried it) and caused the shock to fight full-compression too much too quickly, when set for proper SAG.

mtbr member
    The spacers change how fast the shock ramps up, but thats all. You need more air pressure in your shock, start there first.