Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Should I bother to pay $53 to upgrade from a Bar 1.1 to an Ario 2.1?

OK, here my situation: I am looking at 2 KHS frames for my wife's new build: the XC204 and the XC604. They are identical frames other than the color and rear shock.

The one with the RS Bar 1.1 is $387, and the one with the Ario 2.1 is $440. Now, I am pretty sure that she/we are not going to be happy with the Bar 1.1 (no damping control, not even rebound) so at first it might seem that I should get the one with the Ario 2.1, but my fear is that we are not going to like that one either. If I am going to replace either, I may as well get the cheaper one.

So, is the Ario good enough for a not-to aggressive or discriminating rider? Or does it really stink? If it were me, I'm pretty sure I would scrap either one and get an RP323whatever or something, but my wife is not too keen on spending more if she won't know the difference. I have convinced her that the Bar 1.1 will need replacing, but I am trying to get an idea if the Ario 2.1 is an acceptable base level shock for a relatively new rider who does not ride too hard.

To give you an idea of the level of her discrimination, she could tell the difference between the Manitou X-vert on her bike now (it is in great condition) compared to the shot Manitou Spider that was on it before, but could not feel any real difference between her X-vert and my PUSHed Pike when set to a similar travel as the x-vert.

So, should I spend the extra $53 for the Ario 2.1, or just save that towards a better shock that could run about $150?

Any thoughts?

AZ
    banned
    If you want marital harmony and bliss spend the extra $53.00 .

Former Bike Wrench
    having rebound control (assuming it works) would be worth $53 to me

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    having rebound control (assuming it works) would be worth $53 to me
    OK, I'm not sure I got the real question across:

I know it is worth the extra for the Ario 2.1 over the Bar 1.1 if there were no other options. However, there is another option which is to buy the Bar 1.1 and put the $53 towards replacing it with a shock that is better than the Ario 2.1.

So, the two choices as I see it are either
    a) buy the Ario 2.1, or
    b)buy the Bar 1.1 and replace it with something better than the Ario 2.1.

My question is whether we are likely to want to replace the Ario 2.1? If so, then we are better off just getting the cheaper Bar 1.1 (option b) . If the Ario 2.1 will do, then we will buy that (option a).

Does this question make better sense now?

Former Bike Wrench
    never used the Ario so no opinion there, I can tell you I never liked the two Fox Float R shocks I've owned over the years. In fact my two favorite air shocks have been a SID SL and a X-Fusion O2 RLC.

If the Ario is anything near the 2002 SID rear shock I had, its worth the $53

mtbr member
    save the $53, put it towards a blow out 2009 fox r / rpl / rp23

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    save the $53, put it towards a blow out 2009 fox r / rpl / rp23
    How "blown out" do the prices get on an rp23?