mtbr member
    May 2013

Smile Short Shock rear suspension?

Just had a quick question about short shocking the rear. What is the acceptable amount to decrease eye to eye length without radically changing the head tube angle?

Reason I ask is that my bike takes a 9" x2.75" rear shock and they are hard to come by in that size, so would a 8.75" x 2.5" be an acceptable replacement? (6" travel simple single pivot)

Currently considering either an Avalanche tuned 5th Element coil (in my proper size) or a Marz Roco TST Air in the shorter size. Both will cost about the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisdude72000 View Post
    Just had a quick question about short shocking the rear. What is the acceptable amount to decrease eye to eye length without radically changing the head tube angle?

Reason I ask is that my bike takes a 9" x2.75" rear shock and they are hard to come by in that size, so would a 8.75" x 2.5" be an acceptable replacement? (6" travel simple single pivot)

Currently considering either an Avalanche tuned 5th Element coil (in my proper size) or a Marz Roco TST Air in the shorter size. Both will cost about the same.
    Depends on your current geometry. I usually take a wooden dowel and size it to the shorter shock dimension and check the new HA, SA & BB height.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Depends on your current geometry. I usually take a wooden dowel and size it to the shorter shock dimension and check the new HA, SA & BB height.
    ... also check seat tube tire clearance at bottom travel.

Offset shock mount bushings, usually used to lower BB height, can raise BB height too. For example the BB will be about 1/2 inch lower with a 1/4 inch shorter shock possibly causing frequent pedal strikes, so offset bushings could be used to spread the frame and swingarm shock mounts out up to 1/4 inch and raise the BB to near original with the same shorter shock.

Also Risse Racing makes custom shock sizes. I have not heard that Risse Racing quality is as high end as Avalanche tuning.