Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwiz

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shockwiz

Anybody out there get in on the Kickstarter for this:

https://www.shockwiz.com/

??

Seems like something that a bike shop could get and rent out as a service to customers. Would you ever buy it? Would you rent it?

mtbr member
    I'm waiting on my pair. We kickstarted (?) two of them. Any day now...

Yes, we'll be renting them.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'd rent one for a weekend for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I received an email today to say mine is on its way. Kind of ironic that it will be arriving in time to connect to my Fox Float X2 that I'm not supposed to ride.
    2017 Nicolai G13
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2016 Evil The Following

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Showed up last night!

Shockwiz-14695469_10104037345988213_3527014898812625279_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Can you log two sensors at once? The manual leads me to believe it's only one at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not entirely sure about that yet. The first two thirds of my first ride, I had it set to log on the rear shock, but when I swapped to the fork it said it already had sufficient ride data to make suggestions.

mtbr member
    We got ours on Monday. You can log data on both (I think) but can only view one at a time with a single device. I guess you could have two phones or something...

I've yet to RTFM or even ride with them. I got so far as to hook them up to the bike and discover the bluetooth with tablet and phone but nothing else.

More later...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Received mine last week. Posted an unboxing and a first ride review on YouTube :

https://youtu.be/3e9bffMftvw

It basically said my shock settings were good, which is reassuring. I haven't had time to ride since last week to try it on the fork or intentionally screw up my shock settings and see if it can fix it. So far so good though.

I'm considering renting it out, it's a cool toy but seems like its use is somewhat limited unless you're getting a new bike every year or tuning for a specific race course or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So far working great with the CCDB, but having some issues with the Ohlins fork. Cal status continues to show up red, even after swapping shockwiz units. Tried multiple times but it doesn't seem to like the fork. I know shockwiz specifically mentioned certain forks that weren't compatible, which didnt include the ohlins, but I'm not sure if the fork is constructed in the same manner as the forks that don't work like MRP and trek DRCV. Damping adjustments seem to get good suggestions, but it keeps calling for air to be taken out. I've tried taking out air far past any reasonable sag measurement and it still calls for more. The calibration seems good, as I experimented by measuring out specific points and compressing the fork to them. Every time the app displayed exactly the right %. I have an email in to quarq. Eagerly awaiting a reply.

mtbr member
    I got a chance to run mine Saturday. Said rear shock was good, just need to drop down one size volume reducer (Fox).

I didn't set up the fork correctly so that didn't work. I rode it at our local beginner trail yesterday and it didn't get enough data. That was my assumption but I wanted to be sure.

We will absolutely be renting them out so we are trying to get up to speed quickly. We have a suspension clinic here Thursday evening. We'll be showing people the interface, set-up and outputs. I think it'll be useful but it's just a tool. You'll still need some human interaction to ensure that you get the right set-up. It's data, though, so we'll be layering our experience on top of the numbers. It will help make suspension set-up way less magical and help people understand what is happening.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I used mine on the rear Fox shock on my Niner RKT 9 RDO. The set up went smoothly. I rode with the shock in the open setting and the Shockwiz confirmed that the settings I had were good. The only suggestion was increasing low and high speed compression, which really isn't an option on the Fox rear shock except for changing from open to trail mode.

Next up is testing the front fork, a Fox Factory 32 with FIT4 damper. I think this fork could still use some dialing in, so curious to see what the Shockwiz suggests.

So far I have to say this is a pretty cool little device.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If someone is ready to rent one out, please pm me. Very curious about checking it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If the shockwiz says your shock settings are good, try changing your settings and go to the same course again to see if the shockwiz suggests the same settings you had before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    If the shockwiz says your shock settings are good, try changing your settings and go to the same course again to see if the shockwiz suggests the same settings you had before.
    This is what I want to hear about as well. I'm curious how well it actually works and have entered seen anything that tests this. I really want the test on a shock or fork with high and low speed compression, not a 3 setting compression damper like. Let's see how accurate these things actually are.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty confident that this device can measure the position of the suspension as a function of time quite adequately. What to do with that information is the complicated part. I'd like to know a lot more about how it analyzes the data, presents that information, and uses it to make recommendations.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I'm pretty confident that this device can measure the position of the suspension as a function of time quite adequately. What to do with that information is the complicated part. I'd like to know a lot more about how it analyzes the data, presents that information, and uses it to make recommendations.

That's the important part. I'm skeptical on it. Most reports show no changes needed, which I find hard to believe. Time will tell, a thorough test/review will hopefully come out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Seeing that the software and the firmware are both updateable I would think any algorithm issues would be something that could be easily solved. It would be fun to see if someone can get a live data stream and overlay it with GPS, power, gear selection, etc.

Shockwiz-wintax.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Would love to give this a spin. Renting it out seems like a smart idea.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    I think we'll have ours available starting next week.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    After tuning the rear shock on my RKT 9 RDO, I ran the Shockwiz on the front. My build has a Fox Factory 32 with FIT4 damper and 100mm travel. I've only had the bike a short while and was still working on dialing in the front, so it was a good opportunity to get some feedback from Shockwiz.

The initially report back after my first 1 hour loop on a local cross country trail with roots, a few shorter climbs, and some smaller rocks was consistent with what I was thinking. It recommended less air pressure, more rebound dampening, and adding a spacer. I didn't have an extra spacer on hand (my shock is supposed to ship with two installed but I haven't doubled checked that it did), but I did lower the pressure (down to 85 psi) and added some rebound dampening. I took an hour lap and the feel was improved but I do blow through the 100 mm travel at times. The feedback after the changes was still to add a spacer and drop psi further. Rebound was now good.

I've ordered some Fox spacers and will add them and hopefully retest before winter hits Ohio. I spoke with SRAM and they told me it will be important to run though the calibration again after the spacers are added.

I'm also planning to get a ride in on my Salsa Beargrease fat bike equipped with a Bluto. It will be fun seeing how the Shockwiz tunes that set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post

I've ordered some Fox spacers and will add them and hopefully retest before winter hits Ohio. I spoke with SRAM and they told me it will be important to run though the calibration again after the spacers are added.

I'm also planning to get a ride in on my Salsa Beargrease fat bike equipped with a Bluto. It will be fun seeing how the Shockwiz tunes that set up.

Yes, very curious to see what it thinks of fat bike tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hello Everyone,

Just had a chance to read through the thread and figured I could add some useful information. If anyone has any specific questions please ask, I will do my best to stay on top on them.

There seems to be a little confusion as to how ShockWiz works in regards to data storage, transfer and so forth. Below is a article that we will posting to www.ShockWiz.com in the near future, but figured it was worth posting here now.

As I said, if there are any questions or concerns that pertain to ShockWiz let them fly.

Alex@Quarq

Data storage: All data collection and analysis is performed within the ShockWiz device itself; no computation occurs within the app. The app is only a means to display the collected information and for you, the user, to interact with the device to perform a task such as a calibration or to start a new session. Since the data is stored directly on the ShockWiz device it is not necessary to carry your phone during a ride. However, once you have the ShockWiz app open and connected to your device you can check the results at any time. This could be at the end of a segment, the end of a ride or in three weeks time, it doesn’t matter. Your data will be saved until a new session is started.

Using two devices: If you have a dual suspension bike, then it is beneficial, but not essential, to use two ShockWiz devices simultaneously. The process of using two devices is very similar to using one. You simply have to connect to each device individually to set them up and review the results. To switch between devices, simply tap the device name at the top of the app page and select your other device from the list. On some phones it may be beneficial to first disconnect from the current device before you connect to the other.
    There is no communication between ShockWiz devices, only from each device to the phone/App. Tuning, however, does become much faster with two devices because you are capturing twice the data at once and there is no need to swap from the front to the rear. Typically, but not always, both the front and rear of a dual suspension bike should be set up and tuned with the same Tuning Style.

Tuning Styles
    When it comes to tuning mountain bike suspension, there is a lot of variance in how people like to ride and the different styles of bikes for different terrain and disciplines. The Tuning Styles within the ShockWiz algorithms try to account for these variances.
    Some people like to use every last millimetre of travel, while others like to have a large travel buffer in reserve for any unforseen obstacles. Additionally some riders like to have the bike be lively underneath them and be able to ‘pop’ off small mounds and kickers, where others like the wheels to be very planted to the ground and controlled.

There are quite a few things that change between Tuning Styles, but the following descriptions give an overview of the main differences.

Efficient - Focused purely on pedalling efficiency. Efficient will keep you higher in your travel and minimise pedal-induced suspension bob. Efficient produces the firmest suspension tune.

Balanced - The middle ground that provides an overall compromise between traction, suppleness and pedalling efficiency. Balanced serves as the default ShockWiz Tuning Style.

Playful - Similar to Balanced but with a more lively feel to give the bike ‘pop’.

Aggressive - Focused on a supple and active ride, caring very little about pedal-induced suspension bob. Aggressive makes sure you use all of your travel and produces the softest suspension tune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Alex,

Does the shockwiz work with the new MRP Ribbon fork or the Ohlins?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 7four8 View Post
    Hey Alex,

Does the shockwiz work with the new MRP Ribbon fork or the Ohlins?
    Hey 7four8,

Unfortunately it looks like a 'No' for both.

I am not super familiar with the Ribbon air-spring design, but everything I can find shows that it uses the Ramp Control Cartridge which is not compatible with ShockWiz. The Ramp Control Cartridge functions by altering the air volume of the positive air spring chamber during compression, which creates a variable compression ratio making it a no go for ShockWiz. If the Ribbon where used without the Ramp Control Cartridge it would be fine.

Same goes for Ohlins. The RXF34 and RXF36 suspension forks use a 3 chamber air spring; 2 positive, 1 negative. The second, smaller positive chamber makes for a variable compression ratio in the larger air chamber measured by ShockWiz.

Compression ratio is a fundamental piece of the travel percentage calculation and must be constant.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarq Tech View Post
    Hey 7four8,

Unfortunately it looks like a 'No' for both.

I am not super familiar with the Ribbon air-spring design, but everything I can find shows that it uses the Ramp Control Cartridge which is not compatible with ShockWiz. The Ramp Control Cartridge functions by altering the air volume of the positive air spring chamber during compression, which creates a variable compression ratio making it a no go for ShockWiz. If the Ribbon where used without the Ramp Control Cartridge it would be fine.

Same goes for Ohlins. The RXF34 and RXF36 suspension forks use a 3 chamber air spring; 2 positive, 1 negative. The second, smaller positive chamber makes for a variable compression ratio in the larger air chamber measured by ShockWiz.

Compression ratio is a fundamental piece of the travel percentage calculation and must be constant.

Alex@Quarq
    Alex, can you explain this a little further? I've been running my shockwiz on an RXF34 since I got it and although I had some issues getting a "green" cal light at first, really cycling the fork a lot during the calibration seemed to do the trick. I've been wondering for a while if the fork is truly compatible and emailed you guys but never heard back. What do you mean by variable ratio? Since the second positive chamber is completely separate from the primary ones, doesn't adjusting it simply have the same effect as adjusting air volume on a standard fork? Or are you saying that the "ramp" chamber on the ohlins does not initiate until partway through the stroke?

Prior to cycling the fork a ton, I was getting ratios over 5.0. I'm now getting 4.2 to 4.8 depending on how I have the ramp chamber set up. This seemed pretty high, but I wasnt really sure. I did go through the trouble of "checking" that the shockwiz was reading proper travels on the fork by setting baseline air pressure fairly low and extending the fork to 50% travel and the device read perfect 50...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdirt85 View Post
    Alex, can you explain this a little further? I've been running my shockwiz on an RXF34 since I got it and although I had some issues getting a "green" cal light at first, really cycling the fork a lot during the calibration seemed to do the trick. I've been wondering for a while if the fork is truly compatible and emailed you guys but never heard back. What do you mean by variable ratio? Since the second positive chamber is completely separate from the primary ones, doesn't adjusting it simply have the same effect as adjusting air volume on a standard fork? Or are you saying that the "ramp" chamber on the ohlins does not initiate until partway through the stroke?

Prior to cycling the fork a ton, I was getting ratios over 5.0. I'm now getting 4.2 to 4.8 depending on how I have the ramp chamber set up. This seemed pretty high, but I wasnt really sure. I did go through the trouble of "checking" that the shockwiz was reading proper travels on the fork by setting baseline air pressure fairly low and extending the fork to 50% travel and the device read perfect 50...
    Hey mrdirt85,

Very sorry about not responding. There was an issue with our contact form on the website for a bit. When I would select "respond" it would pull our own email address in and I ended up just answering peoples questions to myself for a week or so. I went back through and forwarded everything and must have missed yours, very sorry about that.

To answer your question, as the spring compresses, the pressure inside the main positive air chamber eventually matches that of the ramp chamber. When that happens you start compressing the ramp up piston. As the ramp up piston compresses it increases the volume of the main positive chamber changing the spring curve (compression ratio). The ramp piston is essentially a air volume releif. As it compresses it changes how the pressure in the main chamber behaves. Less pressure in the ramp chamber means a more linear spring curve, more pressure means the spring curve has more ramp. When it is all said and done it basically means that, at some point in the travel, the ShockWiz travel percentage calculation is off.

The amount of pressure in the ramp chamber will also dictate how much of an impacts there is. Less pressure in the ramp chamber means more movement in the ramp up piston, which equates to a greater increase in air volume, and a larger variance in CR. Higher pressure, less movement and less variance in CR.

How much pressure do you run in the ramp chamber? Did you leave it pressurized when performing the ShockWiz calibration? If you leave it pressurized during the calibration, anything above say 60psi, then that ramp up piston probably doesn't move at all when you calibrate as the pressure (when deflated) probably doesn't get high enough when marking full compression to activate it. This means you only measured the compression ratio of the main chamber. Then when you go ride, and the fork is at operating pressure, the ramp piston starts to play a role and you are running off the wrong CR.

How have the recommendations been while using ShockWiz with this fork? If I am not mistaken we heard reports of it just asking you to keep taking air out.

I will get Nigel involved in this and see what he says, I just sent him some details about that air-spring and I am waiting to hear back.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ah ha! Funny, right after I sent that post I found the powerpoint presentation on how the RXF fork operates on the specialized dealer website and immediately understood why the shockwiz isnt combatible. I never knew that piston was floating. Definitely explains a lot, and yes, the device constantly asks for air to be removed from one or both chambers. I have seen it occasionally read OK for one or the other chamber if I start a new session and only ride downhill type trails. I've found the rebound suggestions and low speed compression to be useable, but even with the HSC turned all the way down, the shockwiz always says its too high. I'm a bigger guy (6'3" 250lbs) and more often than not am on the high end of damping settings for factory tuned stuff.

I had my suspicions all along that the fork wasn't compatible, but that's actually relieving to finally hear it straight from you cause it's been a struggle figuring out how to get it set up. No worries about the email thing, I figured something must have happened with the form.

Other than that debacle, I'm totally stoked on the performance of the shockwiz. It has helped tremendously with my CCDB.

The only "gripe" that I have at this time would be: since I have climb switches, I'm really not too terribly concerned with the damping settings for uphill stuff. I wish there was a way to "pause" the shockwiz and not have to start a new session so that I could exclusively gather data on the downhill sections. I have a lot of seated climbing sections that I feel kind of skew the data.

Thanks, Alex!

Chris

Edit: Thinking more about what you said, and that you emailed Nigel about it. Are you thinking there may be some formula for a pressure to set the ramp chamber for calibration? I'll have to ponder that one after my morning coffee. Given that the volumes of the ramp and main are different, I'm not sure it would be as simple as a % difference. That, and any change to either chamber would require a totally new recalibration instead of just baseline, which would be a huge pain.
    Last edited by mrdirt85; 11-15-2016 at 10:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Chris,

ShockWiz assumes that certain things are constant, or I should say, ShockWiz requires that they be constant in order for it to work properly. In the situation with the RXF air-spring, ShockWiz has no way of knowing whether or not the compression ratio is changing, how much it changing by, or for that matter at which point in the travel the change occurs. In order for it to know any of this you would need a Wiz monitoring each positive air chamber, likely have them communicate to one another, and there would probably have to be some special firmware specific to the RXF models. There are so many variables involved with that there would be no easy way to make it work. So no, this is going to work anytime in the near or distance future.

I just mentioned getting Nigel involved as he was also unfamiliar with that spring layout. I am pretty sure that you and I both have access to the same document, which I shared with him. Once he saw the layout he confirmed that it is not compatible with ShockWiz.

The whole "Press start to record" or ability to "pause" isn't a bad idea, it just opens up the opportunity to forget. I am sure you have missed hitting start on a Garmin or other head unit and understand how frustrating it is to do. What you should do is just experiment and see what happens. You should see how your suggestions are impacted if you let the session run after climbing when the switch is used; and then on the same section when it is not used. ShockWiz wants to see you pedal so just because you're trying to set things up for descending doesn't mean you can't record on the ups. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference, especially if you are climbing on relatively smooth trail/road.

The main thing that will change when climbing with the switch 'on' vs 'off' is pedal induced bobbing. With it off there will be more, which ShockWiz will try to correct with firmer (increase) LSC. If the switch is on, then Shockwiz might not even see enough movement (change in pressure) to make any suggestion at all. Depending how firm that shock becomes with the switch on, it may already act like a "Pause" button, as it may restrict movement enough that ShockWiz doesn't even realize you're riding.

Alex@Quarq

P.S. It should be known that everything that I just said about the climb switch goes against what Nigel would say. And in the end he is correct, flipping on a climb switch is a damping change (ShockWiz has no idea when you make a change which is why the "New Session" feature exists) and does mean you should start a new session. However, if you able test it out and (if in your situation) flipping it on mid-session doesn't noticeably impact your suggestions I say run with it. If it does, then don't do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks again! I really appreciate all the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I guess I'll have to wait until the new year to purchase one

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any update on this or is it no longer available after being acquired by SRAM?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hello jacksonlui,

ShockWiz is not currently for sale to the general public. The only people with access to the device are the original Kickstarter backers. The backers have all received their devices and are actively using them, providing us with feedback along the way. We do not have any detailed information that can be shared about the availability of ShockWiz at this time. However, an announcement regarding it's future can be expected sometime this year.

Be sure to keep any eye on www.ShockWiz.com for announcements and feel free to sign up for the ShockWiz Newsletter while you're at it!

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd like to rent one as well. I regret not doing the kickstarter when I could.
    Art

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I thought the idea of kickstarter was for the general public to provide support for products which will be made available to the general public.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey jacksonlui,

If you are someone that did not pledge to the the original Kickstarter project you currently have no means of obtaining ShockWiz. The only people who have the device, and are therefore capable of providing feedback, are the Kickstarter backers. Devices have not been provided to; anyone who is NOT a backer, or anyone who is NOT part of the development team. As stated above, an announcement regarding the future of ShockWiz can be expected sometime this year.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got an email that shockwiz is available to purchase. Exterior looks identical to kickstarter one but not sure if internals are the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 7four8 View Post
    Got an email that shockwiz is available to purchase. Exterior looks identical to kickstarter one but not sure if internals are the same.
    Hello All,

Internals are the same. Only "change" is the firmware and app version, which are available to everyone anyway.

If any one has any questions I'm happy to answer.

Cheers,
    Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Alex,

Is this DVO Diamond compatible?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bought mine today. Been all over the place with setup on an RS-1. Looking forward to using Shockwiz to help dial it in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm interested in a rental too. PM me
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    $400 is pretty expensive

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Alex,

Is this DVO Diamond compatible?

Thank you.
    Would like to know this too, also DVO topaz compatible?

I'm with stupid
    What about Can creek shocks. DB and Inline? I am thinking about picking one of these up now they are back on the market. I want to use it for race courses over the summer. I really like nerding it up with stuff like this.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone know if you can use shockwiz is you have multiple bikes? After you tune the suspension on one bike can you put it on another and basically reset it? Also, do you need 2 of them for a fs bike or can you use 1 on the fork and then put it on the shock once you're done tuning?

$400x2 is expensive

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ouch- Sram gets a hold of them and raises the price. Guess the Sram label is worth a little over $150.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Ouch- Sram gets a hold of them and raises the price. Guess the Sram label is worth a little over $150.
    RIGHT!!! I know I was bummed as I found out about this about a day too late for the Kickstarter or I would have been all over it (regardless of the broken leg). Now looks like I am going to have to take it up the you know what to get one to play with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Anyone know if you can use shockwiz is you have multiple bikes? After you tune the suspension on one bike can you put it on another and basically reset it? Also, do you need 2 of them for a fs bike or can you use 1 on the fork and then put it on the shock once you're done tuning?

$400x2 is expensive
    Its a measuring device which gives you data and a suggestion on your phone app. You can use it on any bike many times. You dont need 2 but you may need to redo a few times front and back.

For $400 I'd rather send my shock to get tuned by someone like avalanche. I'll wait for a sale or the used market. Ive never been shy about spending money on mutliple high end saddles, pedals, and carbon goodies but somehow i feel 400 is excessive. Maybe because it was lower and now they are magically higher after been taken over by sram. Maybe if you raced it may be worth it but you can say the same about carbon wheels. Idk why im hitting this mental block.

mtbr member
    Go ahead and try to find any data acquisition device, let alone one that's quick and easy to set up and will talk to your phone or tablet. $400 is not overpriced for these units. Kickstarter backers had to wait 18 months to get them and they were about $190 each.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Go ahead and try to find any data acquisition device, let alone one that's quick and easy to set up and will talk to your phone or tablet. $400 is not overpriced for these units. Kickstarter backers had to wait 18 months to get them and they were about $190 each.

mk
    Doesn't matter. Base on the guys not having the resources in place like a company as big as Sram and they were able to generate enough profit to get this produced at that price point. To me a company as large as Sram should have been able to keep the cost the same or actually bring it down.

It's my opinion, you have yours.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I guess the price may drop after a year or two, best idea is to try and get a few mates involved and spread the cost of one and share it over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Shockwiz claims the kickstarter price was sold at a loss. After sram took over theyve decided to sell at 110% more. Doesnt add up. Sram is probably trying to sell to those that think 400 is a reasonable price then drop it next year after year.
    A .003psi accurate pressure sensor is $1.50, accelerometer is $1, rasberry pi zero is $5. So bom is less than $15. R&D is a lot but gets amortized. Perhaps sram figured they will only sell a handful. $385 margin is a lot. But since its sram now, maybe their overhead is a lot more than when it was DD. Gotta factor in operating expenses

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I will rent mine to whoever may want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Glad I got the kickstarter price but it did take 18 months. It is a very useful tool so either rent from a shop or go in with some friends. I can see more shops with them now that they're available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

For $400 I'd rather send my shock to get tuned by someone like avalanche.

This. Tried dialing in my suspension per recommendations but it still wasn't good. Aftermarket tune where they reshimmed fixed everything. Probably should rent it again and see what it recommends.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hello dmo,

ShockWiz can be moved around and used on as many suspension products as you like, given that the suspension you're installing it on is compatible.

In order to use ShockWiz it must be calibrated to the fork or shock it is installed on in order to properly analyse your suspension's performance. The calibration process requires that the compression ratio and the baseline air pressure be set. In most cases you will not know your air springs compression ratio, so this will need to be measured. The ShockWiz app features a Calibration Wizard that walks you through this process step by step.

Once calibrated, its ready to use and you can go for a ride. While riding the device measures the pressure of the positive air chamber 100x a second, runs the data through the ShockWiz Algorithm, and outputs easy to understand tuning Suggestions.

The data captured by ShockWiz stores on the device, not within the app, meaning it;s not required to ride with your phone. The data can be accessed at anytime by connecting to the App, and will not be erased until you select "Start New Session" within the app.

ShockWiz devices cannot communicate with one another and using one ShockWiz, and swapping it between the front and rear suspension, is no less effective than using two simultaneously. The only disadvantage of using one device is the added time in tuning the fork and shock individually.

When using a single device to tune a full suspension bike, install and calibrate ShockWiz to the fork or shock and go ride. It does not matter which is tuned first, the end result will be the same. Using the iterative tuning process, keep ShockWiz installed until you are satisfied with the Shock Tuning Score and feel of that suspension component. Then, install and calibrate ShockWiz to the other suspension component and again, keep ShockWiz installed until you are satisfied with the Shock Tuning Score and feel of that suspension component.

As a general note, it is always recommended that you record the settings of your suspension before removing ShockWiz. This includes; Baseline Air Pressure, Number of tokens/ bands installed, and all current damper setting positions. These settings cannot be stored in the App, and it is recommend that a page for each component be created in your phone or tablets "Notes" app.

For more information I suggest visiting Quarq.com > Support > ShockWiz Online Help. It contains many useful articles about the use and function of ShockWiz.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Idaho,

Yes, DVO Diamond is compatible.

Cheers,
    Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Overspeed,

Yes, both the Diamond and Topaz are good to go.

Cheers,
    Alex Miller

I'm with stupid
    So no on can creek stuff since you did not answer yes like the other questions?

In case it was missed......

Cane creek DB air and inline?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey hitechrednec,

Patience sir! I "noobed" things up a bit by jumping into the middle of the thread. Cleaning up what I missed now.

As long as you're talking about the air versions of those shocks, then yes ShockWiz is compatible. Not compatible with coil shocks for obvious reasons.

ShockWiz offers Tuning Suggestion for Baseline Air Pressure, Air Spring Ramp (Bottomless tokens and bands), Rebound (LSR), HSC, LSC, and Bottom Out Resistance. So the only adjustment that those shocks feature that ShockWiz does not have a Suggestion for is High Speed Rebound.

Alex@Quarq

I'm with stupid
    Awesome thanks you. I am thinking I will order one and run this and go through can creeks "Dialed" app at the same time and see how they correlate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Shockwiz-shockwiz-online-help.png

As Alex pointed out, lots of great info on Shockwiz site. Link:

https://shockwiz.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...USING-SHOCKWIZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So the only adjustment that those shocks feature that ShockWiz does not have a Suggestion for is High Speed Rebound.

Alex@Quarq
    Hey Alex, can you tell why that is the case? Are there any plans to add a suggestion for HSR?

Thanks Robert

I'm with stupid
    Because rock shock. .. sram, does not have that adjustment on their forks or shocks. So it is left off, to make there stuff not appear to be lacking a adjustment that other may have. Would be my guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Robert,

The simple answer is that we consciously decided to omit HSR from the list of Suggestions. There is nothing about the device that restricts us from providing this recommendation, we just determined that leaving it in had less value than leaving it out.

The reason we left it out was largely based on how few suspension products feature this adjustment, and (probably more importantly) the added confusion it could create for those who did not. When it comes to high and low speed rebound the number of people that understand it's application are much fewer than those that understand high and low speed compression. Not sure why this is, but it's certainly what we have found. Everything about ShockWiz App is designed will intuition in mind. We want users of all experiences to navigate the app and the information being displayed with ease.

ShockWiz has had a very atypical 'coming to life' when compared to other SRAM products. The initial release to the kickstarter backers allowed us to have more or less a soft launch of the product, and gave us great insight into what is and is not needed. We have heard very few requests for HSR.

Having said that, we have discussed bringing it back. Whether or not we do will be largely based on the number of requests that we get. So if you want to see it, tell your friends and start hammering our contact form at Quarq.com with requests!

Cheers,
    Alex

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    ordered.... looking forward to trying it out on the diamond and topaz

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey hitechrednec,

Not true. See my explanation below to Robert as to why this suggestion was not included. Most air sprung RockShox products don't have external High Speed Compression or Hydraulic Bottom Out Resistance adjustments either, and we left those in.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just ordered one here in the UK. Looking forward to trying it out as I tend to set up as per the manufacturers instructions and then leave it as it is. No idea if it could be set up better so hopefully this will be of great benefit to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Alex,

thanks for the replay. I already thought that it must be possible for the device to measure HSR related data, so thanks for the confirmation.
    I also agree with you, that the vast majority of riders do have a better understanding about the compression side of things.
    What I donīt understand is, that of all things, exactly this knowlage brought you to the conclusion to discard this feature?! In my opinion this makes no sense cause the reason why people spent a fair amount of money for such a product is that they are estimating that this thing will help them dialing in the damper correctly because they feel that there is room for improvement or because theyīve no clue at all. As you already said yourself....HSR for sure is one of the settings most people donīt understand. Additionally it is verry difficult to monitor HSR in another way. For a verry rough judgment on HSC, one could monitor the indicator o-rings on the shock or the fork to "measure" max. used travel with different settings, but something like this, isnīt the case with HSR.
    So I would say, that a device which can help me with the settings I understand least would help me the most.

It is also true that many shocks and forks donīt have the external HSR adjustment, but on the other hand, there are quiet a few. Even Rockshox has the Vivid Air (Attn. hitchredneck) in their current lineup and had this on airsprung Boxxer WC forks in the past. If I remember it right...at the time the Vivid R2C was launched, their (Rockshox) argument was, that adjustable HSR is more important then adjustable HSC which is why they went without HSC adjustment but included HSR. So if that is indeed the case, this concept should be reflected in the Shockwiz also. Itīs the same company after all...

Another thing...wouldnīt it be possible to include a inquiry in the "Calibration Wizard" where all possible adjustments of the given fork/damper are requested, which later on would cause the app to only give suggestions which can actually be carried out?!

Or some kind of "Expert Menu"... only thinking...

Anyway...Iīve my Shockwiz already sitting on my desk and Iīm verry excited about trying it out, but as Iīve a Vivid Air and 2 Doublebarrel Air, Iīm a bit disappointed about the missing HSR feature because thatīs the one I struggle the most!

Therefor, I would highly appreciate it, if you are deciding to bring HSR back!

Cheers Robert
    Last edited by mantra; 02-21-2017 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My Shockwiz Direct Mount arrived this evening. Un-boxed and installed on fork. Kind of apprehensive of its position on bottom cap but doesn't hang any lower than disc brake rotor. Still...makes me a little nervous. Unfortunately probably won't get to play with it until this weekend.

I'm with stupid
    Mine should be on the way via my LBS.

Alex, did they move you to the springs for the project?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Robert,

For the sake of not spending half an hour responding, I agree with everything you've said about HSR.

There has been discussions about adding in a feature like you describe to the calibration wizard, or some sort of fork or shock profile builder. It's a bit up in the air if this will come about. There is A LOT that we can do with this device and we fully intend to, just know we're going to be a calculated about how we release things.

I will mark you down for 'Strongly Agrees' for the questions of 'HSR should be returned to the app'.

Alex@Quarq
    Last edited by Quarq Tech; 02-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Mine should be on the way via my LBS.

Alex, did they move you to the springs for the project?

No, still here in Spearfish SD at Quarq HQ. Pretty great riding out here in the Black Hills of South Dakota, especially with this warm weather. Rode nearly 40 miles of mountain last weekend on actual dirt!

We do communicate with Springs on a pretty regular basis though. I personally worked closely with the technical communications department which, is out of Springs, to create the manual and how-to videos.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Alex, A good question up there seems to have been missed (or I've missed the response)
    When I'm out riding I sometimes flick the switch on my shock into the "trail" setting for a long climb. How does that affect the data on the shockwiz? Should I just leave it open while the shockwiz is connected?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mugstud View Post
    Alex, A good question up there seems to have been missed (or I've missed the response)
    When I'm out riding I sometimes flick the switch on my shock into the "trail" setting for a long climb. How does that affect the data on the shockwiz? Should I just leave it open while the shockwiz is connected?
    That's a great question, and I'm glad you brought that up.

You've got it right, leave your suspension in 'Open' when tuning with ShockWiz. There are a few reasons for this; data integrity and giving ShockWiz an unrestricted view of how your suspension is behaving.

The Data Integrity piece is fairly easy as long as you understand a few things about how ShockWiz works. First up is knowing what a 'Ride Session' is, which is simply a period of time that ShockWiz is collecting data on your suspension. The Session length can last as long as you like, the only caveat is that nothing can change during it. If ANYTHING is changed, such as adding a click of rebound, removing air pressure, or flicking a switch from open to pedal, you've changed how the suspension behaves. This makes all the data gathered up to that point no longer relevant.

While riding with ShockWiz everything needs to remain constant while you gather data. Once sufficient data is gathered, you review the data and determine what needs adjusting. You can then act on the tuning Suggestions, per the Suspension Tuning Article found here.

Once changes have been made, you select 'Start New Session' within the app to clear your data. You then go for another ride and gather a new data set to determine if the changes you made were effective.

This process of riding, analyzing and adjusting, and then riding again to test the changes, makes up the Iterative Tuning process and outlines how ShockWiz should be used. You would repeat this process as many times as necessary until you are satisfied with both the Shock Tuning Score and feel of your suspension.

The unrestricted view piece is sort of tied into the Suspension Tuning Order, but basically you don't want to mask the performance of the air spring with a bunch of compression damping. You really want all of your Compression damping to be fully open when you first start. This way ShockWiz gets the best look at how the combination of Pressure and Ramp are behaving. The combination of those are more or less the foundation of your tune and pretty much have the biggest impact on how your suspension will perform. Once you get those two correct, you move onto rebound. From there the remaining compression adjustments are just icing on the cake. You just keep working down the list of Suggestions, one at a time, until they'er as good as they can be.

Once you have your suspension dialed in 'Open', you can then use your climb switch or lockout as you see fit.

Alex@Quarq
    Last edited by Quarq Tech; 02-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.

I'm with stupid
    How much data will it hold? How long can I ride for to get a "overall" setup for my local trails? Will it do more then one ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Great response Alex and thanks for taking the time to type such a detailed reply. Really looking forward to getting mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Alex - I think you left a step out of the following:
    "Once changes have been made, you select 'Start New Session' within the app to clear your data. You then go for another ride and gather a new data set to determine if the changes you made were effective."

After you make the setup up changes I think you need to reset baseline air pressure (if air spring pressure is changed) and if air spring ramp is changed you need to re measure the compression ratio in calibration wizard. Correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike232 View Post
    Alex - I think you left a step out of the following:
    "Once changes have been made, you select 'Start New Session' within the app to clear your data. You then go for another ride and gather a new data set to determine if the changes you made were effective."

After you make the setup up changes I think you need to reset baseline air pressure (if air spring pressure is changed) and if air spring ramp is changed you need to re measure the compression ratio in calibration wizard. Correct?
    So depending on what is adjusted will determine what needs to be done in the app. Changes to damper settings (rebound and compression) only require that you Start a New Session. Changes to Ramp and Baseline Air Pressure have their own requirements.

To make this easier on everyone, each Suggestion has an 'information' page within the app. This page is accessed by tapping on the actual suggestion and contains everything you need to know in order to act on the suggestion.

How the adjustment is actually made.

What making that change will feel like.

How much adjustment the colored indicator equates to.

A notice which instructs you what to do after making that adjustment, such as starting a new session, marking baseline air pressure or re-measuring the compression ratio. The notice outlines what must be done after making a change to that specific adjustment.

The manual contains a lot of really great information and is worth having a look through.

ShockWiz User Manual (english)
    ShockWiz User Manual (EU)

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    How much data will it hold? How long can I ride for to get a "overall" setup for my local trails? Will it do more then one ride?

See my response to mugstud, specifically the part that talks about Ride Sessions and Iterative Tuning.

When you are performing a Ride Session with ShockWiz you certainly want to ensure you have sufficient data before you start making changes. So asking how long you need to ride for is kind of the wrong way to look at it. Duration is certainly a factor, but whats more important is what's required to collect data.

In order for ShockWiz to gather data on your suspension, it must see suspension movement. The more movement you can subject your suspension to during a Ride Session, the more opportunities ShockWiz has to analyze it's behavior, and the quicker it can gather data and provide quality Suggestions. So a big factor here is what you can subject your suspension to, which is why 'what you ride' is probably more important than 'how long you ride'.

This is just a scenario, but it highlights what I'm talking about. You can expect your suspension to be a lot more active when riding a rough and dynamic trail, than when riding a flow trail. The more suspension movement a trail can create, the more ShockWiz sees, and the faster you get data. In this case, if you ride each trail for 5 minutes, you'll certainly gather more data on the rough and dynamic trail than the flow trail. So there is a time component here, but it's heavily influenced by what you're riding.

There are some built in features within the App that help determine when sufficient data has been collected. See our Confidence and What To Ride Next article for more information.

When it comes to how many Ride Sessions are required to achieve a high Shock Tuning Score, you can assume that 2-4 sessions per terrain type will get you very close to where you need to be.

I will say that Air Spring Ramp Suggestions should not be skipped over. I understand that this adjustment is the most involved of the 6, but it's important to get correct early on in the Iterative Tuning process.To get the fastest results follow the Suspension Tuning Order outline in this article here.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Got it. Thanks Alex.

mtbr member
    I've got a couple questions...

How do you adjust for settings that a shock doesn't have? High speed compression and bottom out resistance specifically.

Why include HSC, but leave out the HSR? Perhaps a future update that lets the user choose which damper settings are applicable to their shock?

My initial calibration showed a travel of negative 1-4%. Is that normal? Resetting the baseline air pressure restores it to zero...

Thanks for taking time to help Alex. Im looking forward to finally getting my suspension tuned.

mtbr member
    As I said, if there are any questions or concerns that pertain to ShockWiz let them fly.

Alex
    Hey Alex, does this work with a lefty fork? Thank you for clarifying things in this thread
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    had my first ride with the shockwiz installed on the diamond today, didn't get time to make adjustments, but most things were yellow and rebound green.
    Will make adjustments tonight and reset and ride again tomorrow, any idea how change the ramp up on a diamond, OTT adjustment? More or less? no tokens on this fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspeed View Post
    ... any idea how change the ramp up on a diamond, OTT adjustment? More or less? no tokens on this fork.
    OTT isnīt the correct adjustment for changing the ramp cause itīs mainly affecting the first part of the travel. To alter the ramp, some users added oil to the airspring in order to decrese the volume. When you read early reviews of pre-production Diamonds there is often a part in it which indicates that this was done to them aswell. But I donīt know if this is a tuning feature advertised as per manufactuer and Iīm assuming that the amount of oil which can be added without interfering with the overall performance is certainly limited?!

I would suggest to read this: DVO diamond

mtbr member
    I'm wanting to purchase one of these 2nd hand. If anyone wants to sell theirs, PM me and we'll talk. Thanks!
    🍺🍕🚵🏻🥓🥃🍹🔧

mtbr member
    Never mind! I just bought one!
    🍺🍕🚵🏻🥓🥃🍹🔧

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Hey Alex, does this work with a lefty fork? Thank you for clarifying things in this thread
    Hey joe,

Yes ShockWiz does work with Air Sprung versions of the lefty. You can either go the direct mount or standard version.

Direct mount installation will be a breeze but the device does hang quite low compared to an RS-1. Should still be fine but something to keep in mind. All direct mount versions of ShockWiz ship with a hose adapter that allows them to be used on a traditional fork and rear shock.

If you go for a standard version it can still be mounted to the Lefty, you just have to get a bit creative. If you get it right though, it will be more out of the way and is quite secure.

Alex@Quarq

I'm with stupid

cough....

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mpress View Post
    I've got a couple questions...

How do you adjust for settings that a shock doesn't have? High speed compression and bottom out resistance specifically.

Why include HSC, but leave out the HSR? Perhaps a future update that lets the user choose which damper settings are applicable to their shock?

My initial calibration showed a travel of negative 1-4%. Is that normal? Resetting the baseline air pressure restores it to zero...

Thanks for taking time to help Alex. Im looking forward to finally getting my suspension tuned.
    Hello mpress,

Great question. There are two ways to handle this.

1) You either ignore the suggestions you don't have adjustments for and instead focus on getting those you do have control over right. This often corrects those you don't have control over.

2) You send your suspension back to the manufacturer or suspension specialist to have the stock tuned changed, if applicable.

As an FYI, the best way to start riding with ShockWiz is to set all your compression adjustments to full open or soft, and then go ride. This puts all the focus on the spring (Baseline Air Pressure and Air Spring Ramp). This gives ShockWiz a very unrestricted view of how the spring is working and what it's capable of. If after the ride you have Suggestions to change either Baseline Air Pressure or Ramp, make these first and retest to ensure they indicate 'OK' before adding any compression adjustments. I recommend checking out this article about Tuning Order found here.

If after following the correct tuning procedure, the adjustments you do not have control over do not move to "OK", you either continue to ignore as your suspension is probably performing very well at this point, or you can look at having the stock tune changed.

If after numerous Ride Sessions ShockWiz is always asking for softer HSC, you could have your HSC shim stack tuned softer (same goes for firmer if that's what it's asking for). This would need to be done by a professional which probably means sending it back to the manufacturer or specialty service center, but the upside is you have data to back up the need.

In the end, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if you have a yellow indicator for something you lack an adjuster for.

A config-urator has been considered for omitting and including adjustments, it remains to be seen whether or not we will provide this.

If you saw a negative travel percentage it means you marked Baseline Air pressure, and the actual pressure in the positive chamber dropped slightly. This most commonly occurs if the negative and positive chambers did not full equalize prior to marking the baseline pressure. Re-marking to re-zero that value out is the correct thing to do.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    See my response to mugstud, specifically the part that talks about Ride Sessions and Iterative Tuning.

When you are performing a Ride Session with ShockWiz you certainly want to ensure you have sufficient data before you start making changes. So asking how long you need to ride for is kind of the wrong way to look at it. Duration is certainly a factor, but whats more important is what's required to collect data.

In order for ShockWiz to gather data on your suspension, it must see suspension movement. The more movement you can subject your suspension to during a Ride Session, the more opportunities ShockWiz has to analyze it's behavior, and the quicker it can gather data and provide quality Suggestions. So a big factor here is what you can subject your suspension to, which is why 'what you ride' is probably more important than 'how long you ride'.

This is just a scenario, but it highlights what I'm talking about. You can expect your suspension to be a lot more active when riding a rough and dynamic trail, than when riding a flow trail. The more suspension movement a trail can create, the more ShockWiz sees, and the faster you get data. In this case, if you ride each trail for 5 minutes, you'll certainly gather more data on the rough and dynamic trail than the flow trail. So there is a time component here, but it's heavily influenced by what you're riding.

There are some built in features within the App that help determine when sufficient data has been collected. See our Confidence and What To Ride Next article for more information.

When it comes to how many Ride Sessions are required to achieve a high Shock Tuning Score, you can assume that 2-4 sessions per terrain type will get you very close to where you need to be.

I will say that Air Spring Ramp Suggestions should not be skipped over. I understand that this adjustment is the most involved of the 6, but it's important to get correct early on in the Iterative Tuning process.To get the fastest results follow the Suspension Tuning Order outline in this article here.

Alex@Quarq
    @hitechredneck Thought I already got this one. However if I missed something please be specific in what your asking for.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspeed View Post
    had my first ride with the shockwiz installed on the diamond today, didn't get time to make adjustments, but most things were yellow and rebound green.
    Will make adjustments tonight and reset and ride again tomorrow, any idea how change the ramp up on a diamond, OTT adjustment? More or less? no tokens on this fork.
    Hey Overspeed,

Mantra is correct. OTT has nothing to do with air volume in the positive chamber. What OTT does do is increase or decrease the preload of the negative spring, effectively making it firmer or softer. These forks use a coil spring for the negative instead of an air spring like RS and FOX. Increasing the available force of the negative spring will give the fork better small bump compliance as it's job is to help overcome seal friction and essentially push the fork into it's travel.

Adding oil into the positive chamber will reduce the available volume for air and accomplish the same thing as adding a token. You just need to check with DVO first to make sure you use an oil that won't react negatively with the o-rings. You'll also want to ask what the maximum amount is you can safely add. If you over do you'll cause hydraulic lock and damage the spring.

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Hey joe,

Yes ShockWiz does work with Air Sprung versions of the lefty. You can either go the direct mount or standard version.

Direct mount installation will be a breeze but the device does hang quite low compared to an RS-1. Should still be fine but something to keep in mind. All direct mount versions of ShockWiz ship with a hose adapter that allows them to be used on a traditional fork and rear shock.

If you go for a standard version it can still be mounted to the Lefty, you just have to get a bit creative. If you get it right though, it will be more out of the way and is quite secure.

Alex@Quarq
    Thank you for the info
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    In the calibration; it says to compress and hold to at least 50% of travel. This is a physical impossibility!. If pressures are reasonable, anyone would be lucky to compress and hold at 30 or 40%. Does that mean by not going through that step poperly its not working? I usually need 65-70psi and the 'balanced' suggested my try of 80psi was too low!? Hence my concerns the calibration may be wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    In the calibration; it says to compress and hold to at least 50% of travel. This is a physical impossibility!. If pressures are reasonable, anyone would be lucky to compress and hold at 30 or 40%. Does that mean by not going through that step poperly its not working? I usually need 65-70psi and the 'balanced' suggested my try of 80psi was too low!? Hence my concerns the calibration may be wrong.
    Hey Lucifuge,

First off, great work reading! I mean that too, I doubt most read all the instruction in the cal wizard. I assume you're talking about the 'Cycle Suspension' step. This may require change, but it says to compress to 50% and then pull to full extension, not to hold. Either way you are not the first to get concerned about this.

So, a little word about the Calibration Wizard. The only steps that pertain to measuring the CR are:
    • Mark Full Extension
    • Mark Full Compression
    • Verify Full Extension

Once you get to the 'Infalte' step, the CR has already been measured. The 50% wording was placed in there to ensure that bypass dimples from all manufacturers would be hit after inflating to ensure the positive and negative chambers are properly balance. It is not critical that you compress 50% during the Equalization step.

What fork are you trying to calibrate to? What is the measured compression ratio when you complete the Wizard? Depending on the model 80 psi might be pretty high so I wonder if there is an issue with the calibration.

If you use the compression ratio measured during calibration, how accurate is the reported travel percentage within the app when compared to the actual measured travel via the o-ring on the stanchion?

If you compress the fork in a controlled manner til the app displays 20%, does the o-ring verify this?

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's a 160 solo air lyrik with a vorsprung luftkappe and a fast rebound tune from rockshox
    Hey Lucifuge,

First off, great work reading! I mean that too, I doubt most read all the instruction in the cal wizard. I assume you're talking about the 'Cycle Suspension' step. This may require change, but it says to compress to 50% and then pull to full extension, not to hold. Either way you are not the first to get concerned about this.

So, a little word about the Calibration Wizard. The only steps that pertain to measuring the CR are:
    • Mark Full Extension
    • Mark Full Compression
    • Verify Full Extension

Once you get to the 'Infalte' step, the CR has already been measured. The 50% wording was placed in there to ensure that bypass dimples from all manufacturers would be hit after inflating to ensure the positive and negative chambers are properly balance. It is not critical that you compress 50% during the Equalization step.

What fork are you trying to calibrate to? What is the measured compression ratio when you complete the Wizard? Depending on the model 80 psi might be pretty high so I wonder if there is an issue with the calibration.

If you use the compression ratio measured during calibration, how accurate is the reported travel percentage within the app when compared to the actual measured travel via the o-ring on the stanchion?

If you compress the fork in a controlled manner til the app displays 20%, does the o-ring verify this?

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I will have to check the CR tonight and let you know.

How does the CR relate to reported travel???

Hey Lucifuge,

• Mark Full Extension
    • Mark Full Compression
    • Verify Full Extension

Alex@Quarq

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OK, I went through the calibration again. When I let all the air out and go though the compression and extension parts, while I can compress fully, I can't get full extension...maybe I'm getting 80% it just feels to hard to go further. At the end of the calibration its telling me the CR is 2.0 and the that its sinking 8% into its travel when its not. Also the app's measurement vs the actual stanchions markers are off. When I put a CR manually of 2.5; it improves it almost 1-1. So that's what I left it at and went for a ride. Even after a decent ride its still on 49% wanting some jumps etc.

Does a CR of approx 2.5 on a 160 Lyrik with an effective token installed @ 70psi sound reasonable?

Also can you please confirm if the ratio is calculated in the calibration steps prior to inflation?
    Last edited by lucifuge; 02-28-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 789