Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shockwiz

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    seems to have switched to 100 posts per page form 50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    On one of my bikes I have a 2016 Fox 34 Factory fork, 140 mm on a 29er with a pretty light wheelset and light tires currently on the bike for an upcoming XC race. When I set up for Balanced tune the ShockWiz has me slow the rebound completely closed. I weigh 155 lbs, and am getting 22% dynamic sag. Overall score is around 84, with OK for air pressure, air spring ramp, rebound, and bottom out resistance. I am thinking that part of the issue here is that the fork internal tune is set up with the expectation that I would be running 800-1000 gram tires but I am running 630g tires currently (wouldn't that affect rebound speed?). Anyways, I guess it is as good as I can get it on this XC setup and I will probably have to revisit things when I set things back up with my normal 850-900g tires. Anyone encounter this issue with swapping different weights of tires?

mtbr member
    Did a little write up on the shockwiz. Pretty cool little tool

https://evolutiontrainingcycles.word...uarq-shockwiz/

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I seem to have a lot of trouble waking the unit up, does anyone else suffer from that or have any suggestions? Twice now I have had to take the battery out and reinstall to get it to wake up

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes! Thought it was the battery initially.
    Turns out, on mine anyway, that the battery needs to be almost fully inserted but not fully. The contact point is weird. So try inserting it until it holds enough AND you can see its working.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4190 View Post
    I seem to have a lot of trouble waking the unit up, does anyone else suffer from that or have any suggestions? Twice now I have had to take the battery out and reinstall to get it to wake up

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You need to pick up the front end of bike and drop it. Check the unit to ensure the red light flashes. Then open app. You may need to kill app and open again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just bought the Shockwiz (have to wait some weeks, it is out of stock).. and i read all the posts here.
    Im riding a XC bike (full susp) with a lefty. My riding is also XC. My questions are.
    Which of the 4 options is the best for xc riding.
    How do you set all the setting when you only can add pressure and or change rebound?
    Doe any of you here used the shockwiz ad an Cannondale Scalpel SI?
    Many thanks....
    Kane
    Last edited by kanetrader; 1 Week Ago at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanetrader View Post
    Just bought the Shockwiz (have to wait some weeks, it is out of stock).. and i read all the posts here.
    Im riding a XC bike (full susp) with a lefty. My riding is also XC. My questions are.
    How do you set all the setting when you only can add pressure and or change rebound?
    Which of the 4 riding styles you use comes down to personal preference. In order to adjust compression damping on a lefty, you send it back to cannondale for internal adjustments. One of the many joys of owning a lefty. I have used the wiz on a buddy's bike with a lefty. It is a pain to get the thing calibrated and sealed because of the type of schrader valve they use, but it does work well once its set up.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    You need to pick up the front end of bike and drop it. Check the unit to ensure the red light flashes. Then open app. You may need to kill app and open again.

Yeah I do all that. Sometimes it doesn't even wake up after a solid 2 hrs or more of solid riding. I think I may have purchased a dud but if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Its the kind of thing you cant even send back to the shop because most of the time it works. Its just occasionaly it wont wake up and its a bloody nuisance to have to cut the zipties and take the battery out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanetrader View Post
    Doe any of you here used the shockwiz ad an Cannondale Scalpel SI?
    Many thanks....
    Kane
    My scalpel si was set up to almost all green. My riding style is xc race and the shockwiz was set to balanced. I did take out the stock 20mm of volume reducers and add a 5mm reducer in the lefty. Didn't have to do any revalving. Also did not need to use the direct mount hose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    My scalpel si was set up to almost all green. My riding style is xc race and the shockwiz was set to balanced. I did take out the stock 20mm of volume reducers and add a 5mm reducer in the lefty. Didn't have to do any revalving. Also did not need to use the direct mount hose.
    Thanks... but why did you swob the 20mm reducer for the 5mm what is the result/benefit of this?
    When having the shockwiz, i will check what it suggests and see how my SI performs ...

mtbr member
    I change the volume reducers to get the ramp up I liked. With the stock reducers I had to run to low pressure and would sag pretty far into the travel under normal riding. Taking out all the reducers and the dog bone reducer I had to increase pressure by 50 pounds and it didn't ramp up quick enough. With the dog bone and 5 millimeter reducer everything seems to be just right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspeed View Post
    Would like to know this too, also DVO topaz compatible?
    Did you ever find out if worked with the Topaz? I was thinking of loaning one to try.

mtbr member
    Coupla questions:

Does the Shockwiz store suspension travel as a function of time, suspension "events", or derived suspension performance parameters, and how does this proceed as you do a test ride?

Are the suggestions specific for your riding style, or are the generic for each of four modes?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It stores data and the old data replaced with new data when memory runs out. I believe there is data for each event. The suggestions are just calculated from the data depending on the style of riding youvr selected. You can cycle through the styles and it will recalculate on the fly.

mtbr member
    I weigh 215lbs RTR and don't consider myself overly agressive. My Shockwiz seems to like me running very low pressure for my weight. Pressure is so low that its off the bottom end of Fox's suggested starting point for any weight...

2017 Fox 34 FIT4 @ 140mm- Started at 85psi w one reducer. Tuned to 55psi w/ three reducers. Dynamic sag is ~25% with all tuning parameters showing green.

2017 Fox 36 FIT4 @ 160mm- Started at 78psi w one orange reducer. Tuned to 50psi w/ two blue and one orange reducer. Dynamic sag is ~11% w Shockwiz suggesting less air pressure and more reducers.

I don't think its a calibration issue. Compression ratios are between 2.5-2.7 depending on the number of reducers. The fork extends easily when calibrating and I always cycle the fork when filling with air to avoid any negative chamber issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mpress View Post
    I weigh 215lbs RTR and don't consider myself overly agressive. My Shockwiz seems to like me running very low pressure for my weight. Pressure is so low that its off the bottom end of Fox's suggested starting point for any weight...

2017 Fox 34 FIT4 @ 140mm- Started at 85psi w one reducer. Tuned to 55psi w/ three reducers. Dynamic sag is ~25% with all tuning parameters showing green.

2017 Fox 36 FIT4 @ 160mm- Started at 78psi w one orange reducer. Tuned to 50psi w/ two blue and one orange reducer. Dynamic sag is ~11% w Shockwiz suggesting less air pressure and more reducers.

I don't think its a calibration issue. Compression ratios are between 2.5-2.7 depending on the number of reducers. The fork extends easily when calibrating and I always cycle the fork when filling with air to avoid any negative chamber issues.
    I'm also close to your weight, same Fox 34, 2 spacers and like 57psi from shockwiz. I don't think you can compare shock pump pressure with the shockwiz. My new pump reads 75psi. Rides great.
    I only drank one in dog years...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    I'm also close to your weight, same Fox 34, 2 spacers and like 57psi from shockwiz. I don't think you can compare shock pump pressure with the shockwiz. My new pump reads 75psi. Rides great.
    Thats helpful though my shock pump reads ~1.5psi below the Shockwiz. The Fox 34 feels good and the 36 is still a work in progress. I just can't get over how little pressure I got to run...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mpress View Post
    Thats helpful though my shock pump reads ~1.5psi below the Shockwiz. The Fox 34 feels good and the 36 is still a work in progress. I just can't get over how little pressure I got to run...
    It seems common for Shockwiz to recommend lower pressures. Its been a bit of an eye opener for me as on many of bikes that I have tried Shockwiz on its recommended going lower on pressure, especially the rear shock. I use the Balanced setting and the generally recommendations I most commonly get are lower pressure and more spacers/tokens. Makes sense, softer with better small bump compliance and then ramping up progressively for the bigger hits.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Using the Shockwiz for the couple of months has been very educational. I pretty much ride with it on every ride mostly on my fork. I settled on a playful setting after about two weeks of testing and haven't changed the setting since, so I'm just checking with the Shockwiz to see what it would suggest I change on different rides. It's been a very good learning experience. The biggest thing I've learned is that there is no perfect setting. The recommendations change with different trails (no real surprise) but also how I ride the same trail. On one particular trail I ride a lot I have tried riding with different styles, sometimes looking to pump and jump as much as possible and other times pushing for the fastest time possible. The Shockwiz seems very adept at figuring out your style and making recommendations to improve it. It also seems pretty good at figuring how aggressively you are riding and making recommendations accordingly. In most situations, Shockwiz always recommends softer pressure and very little LSC and HSC. Only when I push myself to my absolute limits does it tell me to add any HSC or pressure. What this tells me is that even on my best day I'm not anywhere close to pushing my bike and suspension to it's limits. Humbling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good info.

I find that when I don't ride my best or hardest I can get too soft of settings. Even when I charge during the ride at first, then say I'm climbing, walking, resting later on it will alter my settings. Since I prioritize the more down rowdy sections, I always do a screen shot once I hit the bottom of my trails.

One issue I have is that I tend to lift the front end up over every trail obstacle, then my front end doesn't get used much, and so Shockwiz then recommends softer overall fork settings, then when I screw up or ledge drop it's now too soft. Not exactly sure how to overcome this issue, maybe just plow in to everything for a day?

mtbr member
    Do you guys "trust" the ShockWiz to give you optimal settings?

I have found that the settings it recommends for me are a little on the soft side for the terrain in my neck of the woods. If I set my fork as soft as it is suggesting, I would have major fork dive in the steep techy stuff.

I already have 3 tokens in my pike and it is suggesting more, which is a little odd, but whatever. But then it is suggesting significantly less PSI. And less LSC. Not sure I agree with where it is taking me. I may end up in the hospital running my fork as soft as it is suggesting.

Lots and lots and lots of fun though. Wow. I have run it on 8 rides so far - twice for each of my fork and shock, as well the fork and shock on my daughter's bike. Very interesting and fun, regardless of whether I buy into all of the suggested settings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post

I have found that the settings it recommends for me are a little on the soft side for the terrain in my neck of the woods. If I set my fork as soft as it is suggesting, I would have major fork dive in the steep techy stuff.

I already have 3 tokens in my pike and it is suggesting more, which is a little odd, but whatever. But then it is suggesting significantly less PSI. And less LSC. Not sure I agree with where it is taking me. I may end up in the hospital running my fork as soft as it is suggesting.

Lots and lots and lots of fun though. Wow. I have run it on 8 rides so far - twice for each of my fork and shock, as well the fork and shock on my daughter's bike. Very interesting and fun, regardless of whether I buy into all of the suggested settings.
    What tuning style are you using to get such feedback??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    What tuning style are you using to get such feedback??
    Balanced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Balanced.
    What is your approx riding weight, exact Pike fork, and compression ratio from shockwiz?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Do all pikes have the same Commission ratio?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Compression

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Compression ratio changes when you add or subtract tokens or spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    What is your approx riding weight, exact Pike fork, and compression ratio from shockwiz?
    190 lbs, 2015 160mm RC Solo Air, 3.2 measured.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Have you looked at the Vorsprung Luftkappe? The Pike seems to be binary, either too soft or too firm, for heavier riders. At 200ish lbs I've been riding mine firm but will probably be investing in a Luftkappe soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Have you looked at the Vorsprung Luftkappe? The Pike seems to be binary, either too soft or too firm, for heavier riders. At 200ish lbs I've been riding mine firm but will probably be investing in a Luftkappe soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I was just looking at that.

My Pike has been horrible from Day 1. The way you describe it is precisely how mine is. I opted to sacrifice plushness for a full set of teeth and have been running mine on the firm side for 3 seasons now. Yeah - I may now have detached retinas but at least my smile is still intact. I HATE that fork.

I am also thinking about an Avy cartridge and am on the cusp of also replacing my Monarch Air (another POS component in my view) with either a CCDB Coil CS or an X2. The problem is that once I drop all that cash, I may as well just ride my Range as is for the rest of the season, pray for a carbon Process for 2018 and use that money to get back to where I should have been all the time with the Process.

Decisions...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much travel are you not using afer these rides? Becuase CR of 3.2 seems a little on high side to me and wonder if its correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd also add I gave up on my Pike and now have a 160mm Lyrik with a Luftkappe which is amazing. The mid-stroke support in particiular with small bump sensitiviy is awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi everyone, just got the shockwiz that we are sharing with some friends.
    I got an Evil Insurgent with Monarch Plus Debonair MM and a Fox 36 HSC/LSC. Tried to set up the Monarch plus debonair MM in first instance.
    These are the result of the first two rides.
    I will adjust the rebound of 1-2 clicks as suggested by the Shockwiz app.
    But the question is how can I set up lsc and hsc on the Monarch? Specific tuning is needed?
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shockwiz-image1.jpg  

Shockwiz-image2.jpg  

Shockwiz-image3.jpg  

Shockwiz-image4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apology if this question was asked before. Just ordered a Shockwiz. Should I start with the Fork or shock first? I am using Fox 36 Fork and X2 shock. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Apology if this question was asked before. Just ordered a Shockwiz. Should I start with the Fork or shock first? I am using Fox 36 Fork and X2 shock. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went for the shock first. But I guess it depends on which one you feel could use the most help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by henry_z4 View Post
    But the question is how can I set up lsc and hsc on the Monarch? Specific tuning is needed?
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    You can play with the internal shims inside the Monarch.
    Basically you can add/remove/rearrange and put different sized thin washers inside the shock to adjust the damping.
    There are some threads here "Monarch RC3 shimstack" and "Monarch RT3 shimstack".
    Also if you can buy a new piston from Rockshox that is already setup with the desired shim stack arrangement. Like changing your MM to a ML or whatever you want.
    But hopefully since your rebound was way too fast that was the big problem and you won't have to go down that rabbit hole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    You can play with the internal shims inside the Monarch.
    Basically you can add/remove/rearrange and put different sized thin washers inside the shock to adjust the damping.
    There are some threads here "Monarch RC3 shimstack" and "Monarch RT3 shimstack".
    Also if you can buy a new piston from Rockshox that is already setup with the desired shim stack arrangement. Like changing your MM to a ML or whatever you want.
    But hopefully since your rebound was way too fast that was the big problem and you won't have to go down that rabbit hole.
    Yeah I suspected that.I'll ride tomorrow with 2 click slower in the rebound and check again! Thanks for the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    here I am with this morning ride.
    Same trail, same style, same tyre pressure.
    Modification: 2 click slower rebound
    Still have the Pogo problem. No more rebound problem.
    Tomorrow I'll ride a trail with some more jumps and make the rebound slower (2 clicks?) to see what happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shockwiz-image3-1.jpg  

Shockwiz-image2-1.jpg  

Shockwiz-image1-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I loved the ShockWiz (I had to return it yesterday). I may actually buy one. Better yet, if I can find two used, I may do that. But for me, I don't necessarily agree with what the ShockWiz suggests are optimum settings.

Now...I did only use the "balanced" mode". Perhaps I should have gone for something more aggressive.

I think I may prefer my suspension on the firmer side, with my bike riding higher on the climbs, and skipping over the top of the chunk on the downs and flats (as opposed to living deep within it). At speed, the softer settings on my suspension feels like they cause me to get hung up a little in the roots and rocks. And climbing is significantly more tiring for me.

I will leave the settings as is for a few more rides but not sure if I agree with the ShockWiz's suggestions for the terrain I ride.

That said, love the ShockWiz. Lots of fun, and very interesting. Plus it was instrumental in setting up my daughter's suspension on her Process. Great product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Efficient mode would almost certainly have given you what you describe.
    I loved the ShockWiz (I had to return it yesterday). I may actually buy one. Better yet, if I can find two used, I may do that. But for me, I don't necessarily agree with what the ShockWiz suggests are optimum settings.

Now...I did only use the "balanced" mode". Perhaps I should have gone for something more aggressive.

I think I may prefer my suspension on the firmer side, with my bike riding higher on the climbs, and skipping over the top of the chunk on the downs and flats (as opposed to living deep within it). At speed, the softer settings on my suspension feels like they cause me to get hung up a little in the roots and rocks. And climbing is significantly more tiring for me.

I will leave the settings as is for a few more rides but not sure if I agree with the ShockWiz's suggestions for the terrain I ride.

That said, love the ShockWiz. Lots of fun, and very interesting. Plus it was instrumental in setting up my daughter's suspension on her Process. Great product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think you're asking the wrong question. Here is my take after being the first customer to use my LBS's shockwiz (yay LBS!)...

I see the shockwiz as a data acquisition tool that's like a second set of hands and feet telling you whats going on with your bike. Personally I'm too distracted by the rock gardens, adrenaline, deer, scenery, etc to really know what % of the time my back tire is skipping or rolling. I know it does both and sometimes its jittery and sometimes kinda blah. Sometimes I don't notice at all and go really fast and have a ton of fun which probably means its just right.

The shockwiz notes all that stuff for me so I don't need to worry about it as much. These past few days I've noticed myself riding harder because I really want to work the suspension and see whats up. That alone has helped me out a lot. On top of that I have a log that tells me if I pogo'd or packed or bottomed out 5 times, etc. AND, I also get a few suggestions that are pretty general but are surely worth investigating because now there is this neat new toy that quantitatively tells you exactly what that adjustment did...and how it affects everything else. 2 extra clicks took my fork from mostly green to mostly yellows and reds!

Another thing many people will tell you, suspension is always a compromise. A trail that starts kinda flowy showed me everything was well adjusted and in balance. Then after a .75mi rocky decent everything was out of whack! More air, more ramp, more compression, less rebound, etc. Going back to how often it feels jittery vs blah vs just right apparently has a LOT to do with what I'm riding. So to those worried about it telling you to take too much air out, first of all, give it a go! It might work for you. Or not. Or sometimes. But now we all have an extra set of extremities to help us figure it out.

Oh and this is a no brainer for enduro and DH racers.

Also, please add a "save session" feature!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Members who have read this thread: 833