mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Shocks for a 1999 GT avalanche

I have an older (1999) GT Avalanche and I need a new suspension fork... I was wondering if the new types of forks would even fit my bike and if so what brand, model would be best. I like to ride some XC and some singletrack at the local ski resorts.

Also would be a better idea to maybe just invest in a new bike?

mtbr member

Your bike is not that old.

We have a '97 Avalanche and a '98 Zaskar in the house. Both are up to current specs as far as steerer size so most any current fork will fit.

Since forks can run quite a lot of money, you probably would be better off just getting a new bike with discs and at least a 100mm fork if you really want to do some riding at a ski area.

If money is a concern, maybe you can find an older Rock Shox Psylo in stock somewhere. It has the U-Turn feature so you can adjust it anywhere from 80mm to 120mm. I was using a fork like that until a few weeks ago for some pretty technical riding on a hardtail.

If you do want to ride at a ski area, you will be better served by at least a front disc brake. I don't remember if the '99 Avalanche was disc ready for the rear. My '98 Zaskar is not.

For what you discribed, maybe something like a Giant STP 1 would work for you. By the time you finished modifying the Avalanche, I would think the cost would be near $1000 and you can get the STP for less.

Good luck. I have to get out of here.........