XC Hack
    Dec 2011

Shock diagnosis needed...

My Fox Float RL failed today on an easy ride (last hard ride was a XC race last Tuesday night). Anyway, I saw a bunch of oil-like stuff on the bike and on my left leg. The lockout lever was just flopping side to side, no more click for on/off (I was riding it off). The lever will not go past center unless I'm off the bike. I can then move it to the other side but once back on the bike, I can't get it past center unless I'm off it. It won't lock out now even though lever will go to that side. I had just changed the seals about two weeks ago and it went smoothly and the shock worked great until today. So, does this sound major--like send to Fox or buy a new shock? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Where is the oil come out of? I had to send mine in to PUSH Ind. when there was oil coming out near the rebound knob and lockout lever on my previous bike that had a rp23.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    Where is the oil come out of? I had to send mine in to PUSH Ind. when there was oil coming out near the rebound knob and lockout lever on my previous bike that had a rp23.
    It looks like it blew out of the lockout lever/rebound knob area, the stanchion/lower leg(?) is dry. Ugh.

mtbr member

Re: Shock diagnosis needed...

Yea looks like you have to send it in for repair. Let me dig up my old email when i get home on what PUSh ind told me the prob was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I couldn't find the e-mail, but from what I remember I had oil leaking from behind the rebound knob as well. Darren from PUSH informed me that it had to be rebuilt and the nitrogen has to be recharged as part of the process. The nitrogen portion is not something that someone can just do at home, it has to be done by someone with the proper equipment.

The factory rebuild is what I chose as service, and that included a complete tear-down and rebuild.

I was quite frustrated as well when mine blew out, when I had my previous bike for 1 week (used, not new). But PUSH took care of me and the turn-around time was actually quite fast.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Thanks, parkp81. It's always something...

mtbr member
    I agree! Few weeks ago truing my rear wheel, damn spoke washer breaks and is stuck in my UST sealed wheel, can't get the washer out (bought a new wheelset). This past week decided to bleed my brakes and the piston seal decides to shoot fluid everywhere. Good thing I live near Shimano USA and dropped it off asap for warranty. Sometimes I feel like i'm cursed and just should not touch my bike besides just ride. LOL

Goodluck, hope you can get it fixed soon.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Talked to Fox--it needs to go in. Price and turnaround time sounded fair. Riding an old HT for now.