DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

shock bushing condition

Would you say this bushing is in fine condition, or needs to be replaced?shock bushing condition-bushing-1.jpgshock bushing condition-bushing-2.jpg

Thanks in advance!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say it's fine, was there any play? They are so cheap I would replace it.

Meeeeeeeep
    You can also upgrade to a needle bearing instead of a new bushing. Lots of people claim that it's the best $30 they've ever spent. I plan on getting a set myself. I hooked up one of the eyelets on my bike and tried to rotate the shock around and there was a ton friction! You don't have to replace both eyelets, just the one with the most movement, but it really depends on the suspension design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the reducers came out by hand they need to be replaced. If the reducers are 2 piece they should also be replaced - use a 3 piece design. Fox has a new design : New type of Fox shock mounting hardware

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't know if the reducers came out by hand. I just bought it off eBay. It was listed as New in Box, that he just bought the wrong size, but apparently he tried to install it before he figured out it was the wrong size. From the pics I posted, it looks like a 2 piece reducer was pushed in. The other end looks unused. I'm assuming he put the reducers in this end, tried to fit it up and realized it was the wrong size. I'm just wondering if the bushing got messed up from that or not. Deciding whether I should dispute the sale and send it back. It's a Rock Shox Monarch XX, so can I even use the new fox mounting kit on it?
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes you can use fox hardware - check bushing fitment with the mounting hardware. Visually those look OK - they are only a few bucks if replacement is needed.

mtbr member

shock bushing condition

I went with the new nylon bushings, they work great

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: shock bushing condition

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I went with the new nylon bushings, they work great
    The fox ones? If I get one of the new fox kits, do I have to replace the du bushings to use their new 3 piece reducers?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: shock bushing condition

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Yes you can use fox hardware - check bushing fitment with the mounting hardware. Visually those look OK - they are only a few bucks if replacement is needed.
    Cool. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just received my RP2 back from Fox and it came with the new hardware. The top goes in but having a little trouble fitting the bottom in the frame. Any tricks?

Also have all new bearings to replace the eight in the frame associated with the rear travel. Just need a little time to do the work. Will post back as to how things turn out.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8