• 09-03-2006
    MBN
    Sherman Flick Plus vs Marzocchi 66 SL
    I am presently running a Flick on my Turner Six Pack. The fork has been great, and a very good value. I changed the seals and oil and put in a heavier spring, and its been good to go. However, I cant help but wonder if the 66 SL would be stiffer, stronger and weigh about the same. Does anyone have any experience with both? There is a new freeride park near me, and I also thought that the 66 set up with 7 inches of travel might be a good call. I see the prices are starting to come down a bit. Is it worth the upgrade?
    Thanks all.
    M.
  • 09-03-2006
    TNC
    I'll give a "kind of" comparison between a Flick+ and a 160mm Van 36...though I just purchased a 66SL but haven't run it yet. I noticed that price drop also.

The Van 36 and 66SL are quite similar in travel, weight, and beef. You're right about the Flick+. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise that I bought on a closeout whim. A riding buddy now has it on his Heckler, and it's still going strong. I also have two Z150SLs that are modified hybrid air/coil forks that are in the same category as the Flick+. The only time I can tell any difference in flex integrity at all between these 32mm forks and the Van 36 is while going very fast in very nasty rock gardens. There's a slight improvement in the ability to change directions on the 36. To be honest it is a very small issue. The 32mm forks seem to do just fine. There's just that small increased level of rigidity provided by the 36. I'm sure the more aggressive the rider gets, the more noticeable the integrity of the beefier fork becomes. The beauty of the 66SL will be the ability to fairly dramatically change the travel of the fork, even if it's not on-the-fly. For a more relaxed XC trail, one can lower the fork for that ride to better suit the conditions. For a trip to Whistler or other mainly downhill, aggressive ride, you can set it up for max travel. The 66SL and Van 36 weight about the same as the Flick+, so other than spending the money, there's no real penalty for getting such a great fork.
  • 09-03-2006
    beefmagic
    I'm sort of in the same boat as MBN. riding a turner with 5" & 6" rocker plates. I've been using a flick+ and firefly and looking at a 66SL as well.

can anyone that has run both the sherman and 66sl (or even 06 z1sl) comment on the quality of the air spring after the seals have been broken in?
  • 09-03-2006
    TNC
    I'd also suggest doing a search under the key words "66SL" in the title only over on the Turner forum. You'll get everything you'll want to know about how it performs, how to set it up, and how to service it. Many of those folks went to the 66SL on their Turners. I realize it's hard to believe anyone on the Turner forum would actually know anything, but even a blind hog...well, you know the rest of that old saying.:D
  • 09-03-2006
    beefmagic
    thanks TNC. I visit the turner boards quite a bit and have searched 66sl, however I haven't been able to find direct comparisons between the tpc, tpc+ shermans with a 66sl. it seems most homers aren't too keen on manitou.

I can make roundabout comparisons based on the comments but haven't read a direct comparison. it appears that you are the man to change that. :D

post some comparisons when you get your 66 up and running.
  • 09-03-2006
    Mountainbikextremist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmagic
    I'm sort of in the same boat as MBN. riding a turner with 5" & 6" rocker plates. I've been using a flick+ and firefly and looking at a 66SL as well.

can anyone that has run both the sherman and 66sl (or even 06 z1sl) comment on the quality of the air spring after the seals have been broken in?

The 66sl turns into absolute butter once broken in. They are awsome forks and have a endless list of ways you can set it up. It takes awhile to get it set where you want, but once you do it awsome. I havent even gotten the "break in oil" changed and it feels great. Marzocchi hit it right on with this fork! Highly reccomend it!:thumbsup:
  • 09-07-2006
    MBN
    Tnc
    Keep us posted TNC!

M.
  • 09-07-2006
    TNC
    1 Attachment(s)
    Dragging my feet.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MBN
    Keep us posted TNC!

M.

I just brought it home from the shop today and may have it on tonight. It's hard to get all excited because the Van 36 works really well.:D
  • 09-08-2006
    Jii
    I've used both forks (Flick + and the 66 SL which I still have) and the Marzocchi beats the Manitou in every way. I never found the Manitou that plush on the small stuff, and the adjustments had little effect on the behaviour of the fork. The 66 however is extremely plush (when broken in, in the beginning the stiction is terrible, but once broken in the fork is absolute butter!), incredibly stiff and all adjustments work very well. The versatility of the fork is incredible, you can use it in anything from 130 mm to 170 mm travelwise without compromising damping characteristics. I think the Sherman and the 66 SL weigh about the same, but you get SO much more fork with the 66!
  • 09-09-2006
    MBN
    66 Sl
    Good stuff Jii, I am leaning towards pulling the trigger. Looking forward to TNC's thoughts.
    M
  • 09-09-2006
    TNC
    1 Attachment(s)
    First ride.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MBN
    Good stuff Jii, I am leaning towards pulling the trigger. Looking forward to TNC's thoughts.
    M

Man, the Turner and other 66SL guys were right about break-in. I'm not suspension tuning ignorant, but this thing was so notchy and stiction prone when I put it on my Nomad here at the house, I couldn't really tell anything about setting it up for the first ride. I wound up running no compression, no rebound, 20psi positive air, 125psi negative air, and 0 par. The bushings and seals must be tighter than...well, you know the old saying.:D I had two Z150SLs (total air w/Doppio like the 66SL) and they were smoother than this fork right out of the box.

Surprisingly the fork changed from that level in just the first mile...not butter smooth, but a dramatic improvement. Our local trail has a decent level of rocks and technical sections. The more I rode, the better it got. At the end of the ride, it was a whole different fork, but it still has a way to go. This is what I expected from most other accounts on this fork, so I'm not disappointed. In fact the fork yielded a very decent ride at the end of my ride, just not up to the level of my Van 36. More time will tell, but it looks very promising. It was very good in the rockiest areas, even in its sticky condition.
  • 09-10-2006
    TNC
    Took a third ride today. It's amazing how much this thing loosens up every ride. I'm down to 18psi positive pressure, but everything else is the same as before. The low positive pressure seems odd, but the fork's sag and big hit travel is just fine. The fork is starting to get some decent small bump compliance. I've done some intentional hits to see if I can get close to bottomout, but about a half inch away is as close as I've gotten it so far. Pretty quickly I think I'll dump the original oil and go to 5wt and run it at the lowest possible level. I've run 5wt in all my previous HSCV damped Marz forks and preferred it over 7.5wt.

The fork feels as rigid as an I-beam. So far it's not superior to my Van 36, as the 36 is more supple...but break-in continues. One advantage it has over my 36 on the Nomad is that it has a slightly higher ride height. Even though when measured unloaded at a static position they are both very close to the same height, the 66 apparently is riding higher up in its travel, and I don't get as much pedal smack. This may change as it breaks in...or not.
  • 09-11-2006
    MBN
    Thanks TNC
    Thanks for the updates......keep em coming if you have more thougths. Also, any early thoughts on the 66 vs the Flick? It seems that so far.....the 66 is close to the Van, but more break in is needed. How bout the Flick? Feeling like the 66 is a worthy upgrade?
    Best,
    M
  • 09-11-2006
    CRAZY FRED
    66sl
    I'm waiting for the 07 66 sl to come in. Ordered it like 5 weeks ago,and was told it will be in around the second week of Oct. Just after all the Inter bike madness. But it would seem that the 66sl is getting all the buzz. I was going to go with the Nixon(was really trying to keep weight down)but was talked out of that THANK GOD, I'm really looking forward to this fork.
  • 09-11-2006
    SSINGA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNC
    Took a third ride today. It's amazing how much this thing loosens up every ride. I'm down to 18psi positive pressure, but everything else is the same as before. The low positive pressure seems odd, but the fork's sag and big hit travel is just fine. The fork is starting to get some decent small bump compliance. I've done some intentional hits to see if I can get close to bottomout, but about a half inch away is as close as I've gotten it so far. Pretty quickly I think I'll dump the original oil and go to 5wt and run it at the lowest possible level. I've run 5wt in all my previous HSCV damped Marz forks and preferred it over 7.5wt.

The fork feels as rigid as an I-beam. So far it's not superior to my Van 36, as the 36 is more supple...but break-in continues. One advantage it has over my 36 on the Nomad is that it has a slightly higher ride height. Even though when measured unloaded at a static position they are both very close to the same height, the 66 apparently is riding higher up in its travel, and I don't get as much pedal smack. This may change as it breaks in...or not.

I could probably help you out a little TNC but since you put that beautiful fork on a Santa Cruz I will have to pass:p

17-20psi is normal. as it breaks in you will have to add some compression damping and PAR.

At the first oil change (make it sooner rather than later) polish the bushings and stanchions with some 3000 grit sandpaper and fork oil. Refill with good synthetic oil - 200ml RC2 and 40ml in the doppio air side.
  • 09-11-2006
    TNC
    SS, you smarta$$ Turner minion...LOL! Hey, thanks for the input. Oooooo!...that sandpaper deal sounds scary...even for a rabid tinkerer like me. How are you getting uniform contact with the sandpaper around the whole bushing? BTW, are those fork oil measurements the minimums, and if not, has anyone found the minimums for this fork? My two Z150SLs worked a ton better when I ran the minimum oil amount and just used the air to handle all spring duties. Bottomout control doesn't seem to be a problem on these air forks like it was on my coil Marz forks. Thanks for the info.
  • 09-11-2006
    SSINGA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNC
    SS, you smarta$$ Turner minion...LOL! Hey, thanks for the input. Oooooo!...that sandpaper deal sounds scary...even for a rabid tinkerer like me. How are you getting uniform contact with the sandpaper around the whole bushing? BTW, are those fork oil measurements the minimums, and if not, has anyone found the minimums for this fork? My two Z150SLs worked a ton better when I ran the minimum oil amount and just used the air to handle all spring duties. Bottomout control doesn't seem to be a problem on these air forks like it was on my coil Marz forks. Thanks for the info.

Sandpaper sounds scary but at that grit it really only polishes.

Not sure what the minimums are :confused: