mtbr member

Setting up Marzocchi MX Comp Coil

OK, I've read the crappy Marz manual, searched around here, and asked around, but I'm still unable to figure out out to set up the air pressure for my weight.
    I LOVE this fork, but I really want to get it dialed in and put it through its paces.

I have the air adapter that came with it, but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere, and obviously I can get the air pump on to the valves without it. So, what am I missing!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bump and grind
    Try the fork without any air first, esp. if you're a lightwright. then add psi a little at a time until you dont bottom out. Plush plush

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Recent MX forks dont need an adapter -- its a schrader-style, and the pump should go right on..

Proper sag is critical -- attach a zip-tie to the fork stanchion, press it against the seal and sit on the bike, allowing your full weight to compress the fork. You want about 15-20% of the travel to be used up..

mtbr member
    cobym2,
    That wasn't much help. I weigh 210lb and I know I need between 40-45 pounds of air, I just need to know how to get it in there!

Reposado Man,
    That's what I though, too, but I'm confused by two things:
    1) Marz included an adapter with the fork, so I assumed it goes somewhere!
    2) The air valves are standard schrader, but are recessed into the fork such that I can't get the air pump nozzle onto them. The adapter looks like it would be an extender to get the valve up about an inch to where I can reach it, but like I mentioned, it doesn't fit in the valve.
    Could Marz have packaged the wrong adapter?

mtbr member
    Solved:
    Turns out I need a 100PSI shock pump.
    Still not sure what the adapter fits, but oh well...

bump and grind
    Oh, sorry. I could air up my mx pro with a cheap taiwanese shock pump (it has a narrow nozzle with a retractable pin, and it goes up to 300 psi). So you dont really need a marzocchi 100 psi pump, which I hear, is hard to find in the US. The adaptor, I believe, was meant for marz's doppio air forks, which have recessed valves for adjusting pos and neg air pressure. Your mx doesnt need that. At least now you have an adaptor in case you buy a compatible fork.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. My friend has a 100PSI shock pump that came with his Fox fork so I'll borrow that. I can also buy a Marz one from their website for $25.00.

Maybe I'll drop the air adapter on eBay...

mtbr member
    So what have you found for psi? I'm on an 06 MX Comp ETA/TAS @ 105mm. I have the Marzocchi low pressure 200psi pump. I've yet to mess with rebound, but have found over 25psi to be unforgiving for XC riding. 10-15 feel much more plush, while still there for me on a big drop. For reference, I'm about 160/165 w/ gear. Interested to hear your results.

mtbr member
    Same here on the rebound, it's still at the stock setting from the LBS that installed it, and I would like it to be a little slower, but I'll deal with it later.
    As far as the air pressure, I found similar results in that I weigh 210lbs and the manual recommends 50-52PSI. I tried 50 and it was very stiff. I backed it off to 40 and it was better, I now have it at 35 and it is nice an plush. Once I get out on the trail with it (just getting over a broken collar bone) I may put it back up to 40, it's hard to judge from just riding on my street.

So I guess the 25 that you settled on sounds about right for your weight, I'm guessing it's about 2/3 the pressure the manual recommends for your weight, just like I found.

This replaced my OEM Manitou Axel, and I must say that the difference is amazing! The Axel had pathetic preload, for my weight, and I blew out the oil seals after one season of fairly aggressive riding. The Marz is infinitely more adjustable, and given its handling during my recent crash (re: broken collar bone) it will also be a lot more durable.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    I actually did a bunch of measuring/playing last night. Here's what I found.

Total length of shock was 105mm. My weight is 165 loaded.

18psi gives me 14mm or 13% sag and felt too stiff on the trail last night.
    12psi gives me 22mm or 21% sag and I'll be trying this out tonight.

mtbr member
    I used to weigh 165 once...

Sounds like you're pretty close to your ideal setting. I'm too lazy to measure the sag, I'm just going by the feel of the ride. I did a pretty bumpy trail yesterday with 35PSI and it felt great!!!

(Love my new clipless pedals and SPD shoes, too. BTW)

mtbr member
    12psi actually gave me about 21mm sag with all my gear on. And the ride was quite a bit more plush on the trail. There's one area in particular that has a very steep uphill "curb" of about a foot and a half where the fork ate up the whole thing. I didn't even pull up and it felt like flat ground!

Have fun with your clipless. My bro just started with those and he says it gives him a bit of vertigo...as well as the occasional fall at low speed. At which I laugh hysterically at.