mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Setting up an 05 Marz 66 VF2? Similar forks to upgrade to?

Hey guys, I have an 04 Stinky with 05 Marz 66 VF2's. They are very plush, but have a fair bit of peddle bob. I love the plushness, just wondering how to set this up to make them a little stiffer. They have external rebound adjustment on one leg, and I believe conpression adjustment. Not sure what each do, I've only had u-turn RS forks in the past (Recon & Tora). Any help would be appreciated.

Also, looking at potentially getting a different fork, the steerer would have to be 1 1/8. I'm looking at an RS Domain. This would also give me 30mm more travel (150 on the 66, 180 on the Domain). How would this fork compare to my current 66 in overall performance? Any forks I should be looking at instead, or should I just keep my 66 (or maybe get a diff model 66 with more travel)? Will most likely be getting used, I'd go DC but would prefer a SC, never had a "real" DC before.

Thanks eveyrone
    -Garrett

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Just to confirm is it the 2006 66VF2?

As in the fork here:
    http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...DOggetto=28044

In this case I think there is a 20mm internal spacer that u can change the position to increase the travel of the fork to 170mm.....

You can increase the spring rate by pumping in more air in the air preload if that's what you're asking.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hmmm, that looks like mine, the only difference is mine is white. Hmmm, wonder if I actually have an 06 model, and not an 05 like I thought. Gonna go back and check my emails, maybe I misread what fork the guy who sold it to me said it had. From what I'm reading, if I do have an 06 model, I already have 17-mm of travel and don't need to remove any spacers correct?

As for pumping more air into the preload, I would assume that is at the top of the left leg, and that I will need to go buy a pump correct? Will any fork pump work? what do they usually cost? Thanks masnumata

edit: well i checked my emails, and the guy claimed it was an 05 but from what I'm seeing on the Marzocchi website, the only 66 2005 models were the FC and VF. Mine is def a VF2 because it has the decals on it, so I guess that I actually got a better fork then I thought I did. Maybe I should stick with what I have, I've already got 170mm of travel, thats a lot. Once I get some air in it it'll prob be a lot better. I'm used to my coil rock shox forks that had compression knob on the top but oh well, this 66 seems to be built pretty damn solid
    Last edited by coop3422; 06-10-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    The fork was probably OEM spec-ed on the bike to suit the color scheme.... The black fork on the webpage is the aftermarket fork color...

Have you measured the amount of travel you get from the fork? like measuring the top of the wiper to the dirt ring on the stanchions.... (or a zip tie around the stanchion)

If it's around 150mm then maybe there's an internal spacer that is restricting the travel... If it's more than 150mm then no worries there's no spacer inside and your fork is on the 170mm setting...

A fork or shock pump will set you back around 20-30US bucks.... You could also always borrow one from the bike shop or one of your riding buddies hehe.... (free) Or you could get a 2nd hand piece, or check ebay.... Good thing about your fork is that it takes any shock pump... No need for any adaptor!

The thing about Marzocchi air preload (air assist) forks is that they only take less than 20PSI to make the fork feel like wood.... So just go by feel, don't rely too much on the gauge... (or count the number of full strokes you make with the shock pump) You will have to get both the top caps off to access the air valves for pumping in air.... (your fork has 2 air preload valves at the top)

And the compression damping adjustment you're looking for is at the bottom of the left leg (When u're sitting on the bike, the rider's left).... Turning it clockwise increases the compression damping (harder to compress the fork) and vice versa.... (when looking from the bottom of the fork)

The damping adjustment on the bottom of the right leg is for rebound.... Turning it clockwise increases the rebound damping (fork rebounds slower) and vice versa~ (Looking from the bottom of the fork)

Glad to be of help!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by masnumata; 06-11-2009 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    awesome great help. I just assumed it was aftermarket, orr atleast an 06 model because theyre seems to be no such thing as a VF2 in 05, aftermarket atleast. And the fork isn't stock on my bike, so I'm not sure what it came off, lol. So far it seems to have anough travel. I'm hoping to hit the trails sunday and then I'll have a better idea as to what I want/need. Is the RS Domain less of a fork to this, or pretty similar?

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    In terms of adjustability, the Domain would be more or less the same (except the domain doesn't have air preload, need to change springs or add internal preload spacers to increase preload)..... Travel wise Domain has 180mm, but I don't think a 5% travel increase is worth investing in a new fork hehe.... Oh and I have the impression a lot of domains comes in 1.5 inch steerer tube, so you might have to keep a look out for 1 1/8"....

If the Marz works well just keep using it and save the money for a rainy day hehe~ It probably just needs tuning up to get the feel that you want, and this takes time~ If the adjustments at the bottom of the legs don't do anything, then maybe you might have to get the fork serviced with new oil.... You could also change the weight of the oil to a heavier one (stock is 7.5wt, you could try 10wt) for more damping control if that's the feel you're looking for even after servicing the fork and the compression damping still doesn't suffice....

Unless if the marz gets broken, then yes I highly recommend getting the domain 318..... I'm using a 160mm version one now, and it's a great heavy duty trail fork....

I rode my friend's 180mm version and it is sick..... Feels like a motorbike fork with the really delicious damping..... It's literally like dropping into mud in the front end....

Have fun tuning the Marz!
    Cheers!
    Mas
    Last edited by masnumata; 06-11-2009 at 08:05 PM.