Kick Start My Heart

Setting Sag - Helpful Hint from my kids

So I finally get around to changing the oil in my Tora 318. No biggie really, - follow the directions and everything is good.
    I have it back together and mounted, go to set up the sag, and have one of the kids measuring, and they ask, 'why isn't there a ruler on the fork? instead of measuring?' -I don't know - 'just put one on there then'
    Smart kid. I drew one on with a Sharpie. I can wipe it of with alcohol, or may just let it wear down.
    Good thinking!
    I tried really hard to post a pic, but failed. You get the idea though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    So I finally get around to changing the oil in my Tora 318. No biggie really, - follow the directions and everything is good.
    I have it back together and mounted, go to set up the sag, and have one of the kids measuring, and they ask, 'why isn't there a ruler on the fork? instead of measuring?' -I don't know - 'just put one on there then'
    Smart kid. I drew one on with a Sharpie. I can wipe it of with alcohol, or may just let it wear down.
    Good thinking!
    I tried really hard to post a pic, but failed. You get the idea though.
    I use a sharpie to mark max travel (stroke) of the rear shock then compare the o-ring to the sharpie mark after a few drops. Next time you have the fork apart install an o-ring on the stanchion - use to set sag & max travel used.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Next time you have the fork apart install an o-ring on the stanchion - use to set sag & max travel used.
    or just snug a zip tie around the stanchion if you don't have the fork apart.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone