mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Service Manitou R7

Hi,

I'm about to make a quick service of my fork and change the oil and re grease etc. I'm going to leave the LO as it is.

The instruction just says 5-40w synthetic oil as semi bath ? I don't want to pick an oil just from that information...

Does anyone know what oil to buy? id rather pay some extra for the oil and get a fork without stiction than being forced to buy a new one next year.

Will Motorex 7,5w do the job?

and what oil for the air cap inside the left leg? 60w transmission oil? what oil?

this service manual is good in many ways but they are to hush hush about the oil.

Cheers Joakim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey man,

Just head to the auto parts store and buy a fully synthetic 5w40 motor oil. That will do it. One $8 bottle will probably last you the life of the fork with as little as you actually use for the semi-bath.

On top of the piston, 80w gear oil. The brand is not important. It just has to be heavy to affect a seal and to lube the piston. It's only 3ml worth per service and it disappears mysteriously in about 6 months.

I'm plagiarizing the service instructions from the Enduro Seals website. Head there and look at the pdf of the service manual they have put together.

Good luck!
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC