mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Service 05 Marzocchi EXR Pro Air?

The Zoch people gave the below directions for servicing this fork. Each leg is a separate positive air spring that has to be pressured separatey, and each leg has an SSV damping rod.

I'm wondering about 'if it aint broke don't fix it." Would changing the 6 year old oil change the feel of the fork? Would swapping to new Enduro Seals make a difference? Is this worth doing?

Also someone said 5 or 7 weight oil would be fine. Will there be any difference between the two?

Maintenance (SAE 7.5w oil)
    1. Release all air pressure from both legs.
    2. Remove air plugs at top of stanchions with 21mm wrench
    3. Two options:
    3.a. Drain fluid from top, refill, cycle shock. Repeat this until oil is clean.
    3.b. Remove bolts from bottom of stanchions and completely disassemble fork. Going this route, one can re-grease wiper seals and/or replace seals. Reassemble lowers leaving air plugs out.
    4. With air plugs out, fully compress fork and fill to ~40mm from top. Cycle and check height of oil, it may lower due to air in the damper. Repeat until oil level is stable.
    5. Replace air plugs and pressure up.

What could go wrong ...
    if the oil is 6 years old it would be good to change it ... its pretty easy to do on that fork and you might not want to wait 6 years before you change it again ... I use Spectro Golden 7.5wt 125/150 oil ... get it at a motorcycle shop it will be cheaper than at the bike shop
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My local motorcycle shop doesn't carry Spectro, but they do have Belray and Maxima 7wt oil in stock. Any recommendations regarding those brands?

I plan to change the oil. I'm curious regarding the benefit of doing so. I guess the dirt and time have probably degraded that oil, though I expect most of the original oil is still in there.

Since the seals appear to be in good shape, I don't plan to get new ones. But, I would if there were a benefit.