mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Scratch on RP23 air can

So I accidentally hit the inner surface of the air can with a screwdriver and left a small (1/8") scratch, when I rub my finger over the scratch I can feel it. I think the air can is aluminum with some coating or paint or something on the inside. The scratch is silver when the rest is black.

So I have a few questions. Assuming this scratch will cause the seal to leak air (and possibly degrade), it would be between the positive and negative chambers, does this matter? will I even notice during riding?

and second, if I want to smooth the scratch, how should I do it? I know for sanctions I could sand smooth and apply nail varnish, will this work on the air can too?

Anybody have another way to fix it?

waiting for a piece (.45)
    Umm, silly question: how did you scratch the inner surface with a screwdriver?

Yea, sand paper is about the only way that I can think of on a Monday morning.... If its scratched deep enough to get through the anodized layer then it's going to leak air for sure.

I'm not sure what you want to start with but you'll need to finish with a 1500 or a 2000 grit sandpaper to be sure that the surface is nice and clean.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    getting the seals out to replace them, the thin screwdriver slipped. stupid I know. The scratch is deep enough to see raw aluminum, but I think just...

I think I'll get some 2000 grit sand paper and smooth it out.

My main question though is, even if the scratch is smoothed out, air might still leak. But since it will leak between the positive and negative chamber, how will this effect the performance? It's on a 6 inch AM bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    getting the seals out to replace them, the thin screwdriver slipped. stupid I know. The scratch is deep enough to see raw aluminum, but I think just...

I think I'll get some 2000 grit sand paper and smooth it out.

I

My main question though is, even if the scratch is smoothed out, air might still leak. But since it will leak between the positive and negative chamber, how will this effect the performance? It's on a 6 inch AM bike.
    If the positive pressure makes its way into the negative (negative higher than the pos.) the shock could get "stuck down".

mtbr member
    Your only shot is filling in the scratch. I would suck it up and buy a new can.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I would suck it up and buy a new can.
    This^^^^^

If you want to be problem free for the summer, just buy a new can and keep screwdrivers away from it.