mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New question here. Schwinn S20 shock upgrade

I have an old skool Schwinn s20, I am lookin to revive it, anyone know what rear and front shocks i can upgrade to? also decent mechanical brakes.

Former Bike Wrench
    First off...cool old Sweet Spot bike

For a rear shock, Cane Creek makes replacement shocks for just about anything...I recommend contacting them. They also offer a $100 discount for your old shock.

For a front fork, an 80mm travel fork will fit just fine. If your going to stick with V-Brakes then make sure it has brake post mounts. The Rock Shox Tora is a nice bang for the buck fork.

As far as mechanical brakes...do you mean new V-Brakes or disc brakes?

CTB
    mtbr member
    The All-Mountain versions came with 100mm forks, so those will be ok, too. I have a period 100mm SID on mine that came off of one of my Bangers. I also obtained a Risse Racing rear shock that I'll try out once the season starts up again. You need 5.5" I2I and 1.25" travel. Many of the companies that claim to fit shocks to this bike only sell 5.5" I2I and 1.0" travel. With the motion ratio on that bike, you lose 0.75" of wheel travel from that change. I wouldn't do that myself, but I'm a devoted wheel travel guy. YMMV