mtbr member

San Andreas DHS, 5 th Element settings?

For those few of you that have a Mountain Cycle San Andreas DHS and a 5th Element with 6" of travel: What shock settings are you ridding with? I weigh 155 lbs.

mtbr member

Thought I would try again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    For those few of you that have a Mountain Cycle San Andreas DHS and a 5th Element with 6" of travel: What shock settings are you ridding with? I weigh 155 lbs.
    I asked this a long time ago and didn't get any reply so I thought I would try again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can look into it and get back to you. I'm Mountain Cycle's new assembly/shipping/tech/tester/team rider.

For trails and pedalling:
    The suspension action on that bike is largely effected by front chainring size. If you can get by with a huge front ring, it will help neutralize jack/bob. With a smaller front ring, you will be much happier with the max 5th settings. I'll say, run the volume adjuster backed all the way out then air at 175, both comp adjusters all the way in, rebound as fast as you can get without hard topping out.

For dh and less pedalling:
    Run the volume adjuster full in then 50lb air, beginning comp full out, ride it and adjust end comp to control bottomming. This setting will pedal bob/ pedal jack much more, but will be far more supple for the dh trails.
    I haven't ridden a San Andreas Classic for some time, but I have had three of them, and a 9.5, sin, zen, two rumbles, and two slixs.

If I get a chance, I'll try to see how the new rear shock shuttle that we designed for the Sin, works on the San Andreas. It should lower the BB and slacken the HA, but might bring clearance or other issues.

Hope this helps,
    Tim Parker
    Mountain Cycle
    Last edited by TWISTED; 04-02-2005 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member

Hi Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I can look into it and get back to you. I'm Mountain Cycle's new assembly/shipping/tech/tester/team rider.

For trails and pedalling:
    The suspension action on that bike is largely effected by front chainring size. If you can get by with a huge front ring, it will help neutralize jack/bob. With a smaller front ring, you will be much happier with the max 5th settings. I'll say, run the volume adjuster backed all the way out then air at 175, both comp adjusters all the way in, rebound as fast as you can get without hard topping out.

For dh and less pedalling:
    Run the volume adjuster full in then 50lb air, beginning comp full out, ride it and adjust end comp to control bottomming. This setting will pedal bob/ pedal jack much more, but will be far more supple for the dh trails.
    I haven't ridden a San Andreas Classic for some time, but I have had three of them, and a 9.5, sin, zen, two rumbles, and two slixs.

If I get a chance, I'll try to see how the new rear shock shuttle that we designed for the Sin, works on the San Andreas. It should lower the BB and slacken the HA, but might bring clearance or other issues.

Hope this helps,
    Tim Parker
    Mountain Cycle
    Thanks for the advise! I use this bike for all mountain riding, no DH use and 44, 32, 22 rings. I would love to be able to lower the BB height and slacken the head tube. The BB height is really the only thing I don't like. And it is really high. I don't know what a shuttle is, but I don't see how I can lower the BB height without the swing arm coming up and hitting the seat tower, or putting on a shorter shock. Actually I wish the shock travel was only 5" instead of 6". It would lower the BB and better match my 120mm Psylo SL up front. Any help you could give me would be very appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Shawn,
    You can check out the the "optimized rear shock mount" for the Sin at www.mountaincycle.com
    I know what you mean about the swingarm hitting the subframe at bottom out. I'll check to see if I can get this to work when I get a chance.
    Tim

mtbr member

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Hey Shawn,
    You can check out the the "optimized rear shock mount" for the Sin at www.mountaincycle.com
    I know what you mean about the swingarm hitting the subframe at bottom out. I'll check to see if I can get this to work when I get a chance.
    Tim
    It looks like the days of Neil at MC are long gone.

mtbr member
    Hi Tim,
    I was just wondering if you are still around at Mountain Cycle? Hope you are doing well!
    Shawn