mtbr member
    Mar 2008

RST Steerer Tube Installation Help

Hello all,

I'm picking up an older RST Neon T7 suspension fork dirt cheap for an older mountain bike that I have a silly sentimental attachment to. I'm also having to buy a seperate steerer tube for this fork to match the length of the original fork on the bike. (1" x 160mm, threaded). I've been scouring the web looking for instructions for, or at least a list of what is involved in, installing the steerer tube onto/into the fork. I've hit all of the manuals on RST's website and cant find any information there either.

I would really appreciate any links, help, suggestions or fact anyone here could lend.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    So, is the steerer pressed into the crown, or is it held on by pinch bolt(s)?
    If it's pressed in (more likely), you'll need someone like RST to do it. Try RST USA (rstmtb.com).
    A machine shop w/ hydraulic press might be able to do it, but I'd check with RST before going any furthur down that road, to see if it's possible.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey thanks for replying.

This the model fork I'm getting. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+T7+Fork.aspx

This is the steerer tube I would like to pick up for it. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rer+Tubes.aspx (1x160mm)

If I were to guess, that looks like it needs to be pressed into place. But since I'm pretty ignorant about the process or components, I'll leave it to up to you comment further.

Thanks again.

Am not familiar with that fork but it is interesting that you choose the fork and then buy a steerer tube to match. I would hope that it is easily installed (i.e. doesn't need pressing with special tools) but it just doesn't say anything about it one way or the other but I don't see pinch bolts in the photos either. Is there anything on the RST website that covers it?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A friend of mine has a surplus of bike parts, a perpetual part packrat I guess you could call him. He offered that fork to me at $35. Well worth the effort of figuring out how to set it up I figured. From the reviews I was able to find, a pretty good base suspension fork at a really good price.

I couldnt find any information (as I stated on the first post) on the RST website. I went through just about every PSD I could download that was labeled as a manual. I've email the people at rstmtb.com to see if they have any information they can send my way.

I also didnt have much luck searching through the forums here, but if anyone has a decent suspension fork, used or new, with a 1" x 160mm steerer tube for sale, I would be interested. This may end up to be too large a challenge.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with those RST forks, but if it comes w/o a steerer tube installed, I would think it should be pretty easy to install.
    Didja try calling Jenson, since they're selling them that way?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

tl1
    Bicyclist

Just need Allen wrenches

I've had a bunch of RST forks and with all of them I've just needed an Allen wrench to secure the steerer. That looks like a really miserable RST fork though. Why not check out this one for a few dollars more? http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FK8066

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for replying all. I took the suggestion to give Jenson a call. Talk about great customer assistance. I had three guys on the line with me over there and they were all giving me input about the RST forks they carry. As tl1 confirmed, most RST forks have two allen bolts on the backside of the crown with which to tighten the steerer tube into place. No hydraulic presses or such needed.

tl1, I'll have a look at that link and see if I find anything that catched my eye. Just looking for an elcheapo entry level at this point. I used Jenson's site as a reference, friend of mine was going to sell that to me much cheaper.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.