Thread: Rst omni

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Rst omni

So a few days ago i got a 24" cruiser BMX race bike to start mountain biking on, mostly dirt jumping (the 26" bikes are to big for me). Today i picked up a used RST omni 181 to put on it. Thankfully, the fork did not throw off the geometry.

But the problem is... after about 20 minuts of riding around the neighborhood. The fork started to become rigid. I brought it inside because i thought it was possibly the cold weather. Its been nearly 2 hours now, and the suspension has not softened up. Its not a very high end suspension at all, but could i still take it apart and fix it.

I would appreciate some advice, as i am a noob to suspensions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hmmmm, the rst 181 is a simple fork design, coil spring and elastomer compression/rebound i think.

are the stanchion tubes bent or twisted at the crown? that could cause it to be stuck. the alternative is that you blew up the fork...it wouldn't take much.....the rst is a recreational fork for novice riders, and not gonna take bmx style jumping for very long....apparently only 20 minutes!?

not to be flippant, but its probably not worth it to fix if you have to source/buy new parts.....but go ahead and take it apart, you've got nothing to lose, and you'll gain some experience/information on how forks work and the such.....who knows, it may be fixable with some elbow grease, a big hammer, and improvisation....GL

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ya, its very simple i just took it apart. The bottom part of the fork had some kind of build of some kind of dried lube. And if it anything breaks, i can just replace the parts at the hardware store.

Does any company make a quality suspension fork for 24" wheels?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ya, its very simple i just took it apart. The bottom part of the fork had some kind of build of some kind of dried lube. And if it anything breaks, i can just replace the parts at the hardware store.

Does any company make a quality suspension fork for 24" wheels?