mtbr member
    Oct 2008

RST Gila service problem

ok so i started working today on my friends RST Gila 100mm fork just to clean it. when i tried to unscrew those two shaft bolts on the bottom of the fork I took out one with no problems but the second one that was on the left leg ( where the preload is ) started twisting around and I spend 5 min trying to unscrew it but it seams to be that the internals whas twisting with it same time . so is there any way to prevent that "damping system" from twisting with the bolt ??? I would appreciate Your help

T

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Have you tried compressing the fork while trying to undo the bolts?
    With some foot nuts/bolts the only way you'll get them off is with a air wrench.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    double posted somehow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    well i tried that alright but the spring thats inside its so hard thar i cant do much on my own. ill try tomorow and ask someone to give me a hand with that. is that the only way to do that ??
    cheers
    T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful
    well i tried that alright but the spring thats inside its so hard thar i cant do much on my own. ill try tomorow and ask someone to give me a hand with that. is that the only way to do that ??
    cheers
    T
    compressing the fork is probably the way to go... I've used a ratcheting tie down strap for this before, works well!
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    compressing the fork is probably the way to go... I've used a ratcheting tie down strap for this before, works well!
    that will solve my problem . thx for help. ill try that at the end of that week and let You know did it help
    thanks again
    T

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok i used zip ties but after 10 breaked I asked friend to help me compress the fork . it worked and i was able to take the lovers off . the uppers were very rusty but i oiled ( not grease ) whole thing and put it back together I was very happy with the results.
    before - my friend weights 130kg and belive me or not but there was almost no sag on it
    after - normal sag + the fork started to be more sensitive on small bumps

cheers
    T

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful
    ok i used zip ties but after 10 breaked I asked friend to help me compress the fork . it worked and i was able to take the lovers off . the uppers were very rusty but i oiled ( not grease ) whole thing and put it back together I was very happy with the results.
    before - my friend weights 130kg and belive me or not but there was almost no sag on it
    after - normal sag + the fork started to be more sensitive on small bumps

cheers
    T
    could you go into a little more detail about what you did? products used? etc.? I've got one of those forks too, and though I'm not the greatest when it comes to bike mechanics, I'd like to tinker with mine a little bit before replacing the whole fork. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    simple. i put the bike upside down. took the one side of the brake off ( the one that cable is attached to it ) couse it will stop You from taking out the lower legs . undo the 2 allen bolts that are on the bottom of the forks( i had to ask friend to compress the fork first to prevent them twisting with the internals) . when thats done You simply take out the lower legs of the fork. first You need to give the whole thing a good clean ( especially the seals ) and then just grease/oil ( ive used for that oil for guns ). works fine for my friend.
    I didn`t have any tool to open the upper section of the forks but when i was doing the lowe part i compressed IT (those "needles" whatever their i called ) and put some oil in there as well. just make note that my friend weights 130kg ( about 286lb) and i read somewhere that in that model there was very hard sping so it might help You but it mnight NOT ! hope the description is clear ( sorry for my primitive english ) and that helps.
    good luck
    T

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks. i'll give it a whirl.