mtbr member
    Aug 2009

RST First (F1rst) Platinum Fork - can anybody give some first hand info?

Hi!
    I'm looking for an upgrade to replace my Rock Shox Dart 1, that would allow me to ride aggresive XC, be light and affordable. While I understand, there is never perfect cheap fork, I was quite interested with new RST forks.

F1rst Platinum is suposed to be below 1600g (V-brake version), single air oil dumping fork aimed for XC. After reading this review ( http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/rst-m-2...tan-air-forks/ ) I got really interested, as thay say that 29 version is really good.

Here I come to a problem - there is no info on the net about this fork - no reviews, little opinions and some RST infrormation.

So I would like to ask for your opinion on this fork. But please (I beg you on my knees) save comments like "RST make crap, go for Rock Shox". Internet is so full of this I can't read one more! Just write if you ridden it, please

Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Feld
    Last edited by Feldmarshall; 08-20-2009 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    should be a decent fork, but it seems it's been hard to find parts for the m29... rst seems to have shut down much or all of their US office operations.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I picked up an 80mm F1RST Air a while back when they were clearing them out for about $200. For that price it's a good fork, but I don't think it's worth the regular retail price. It's heavier than listed (mine weighed 1932g) and I've been unable to get full travel out of it. But it does ride nice. I don't know what the difference is between the Platinum and the version I have. I think the Platinum came out the following year. I would also be concerned about parts since as the previous post mentioned, they have all but disappeared here in the US.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    From what I read at RST web page, the platinum uses closed oil bath, and thus saves approx 300g. It's supposed to weight around 1580g - wonderfully light for the price.

My main porblem is, that I have v-brakes at my bike and so I can't go for RS reba - it seems, that they stoped making v-brake version. I'm not entarily sure i really need discs, and decent discs together with new wheel would cost almost the same as the fork .

As for the parts - I'm located in Poland anyway.

On more generall / phylosophical side of the problem - I find it surpsrising, that top models of cheap brands have no reviews on the net. Someone has to use them - otherwise no one would make them!

Anyway - thanks for reply!
    Last edited by Feldmarshall; 08-22-2009 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't trust the posted weight. RST lists there weight without the steerer tube, and even then it doesn't add up. My F1RST Air was listed as 1520g and weighed 1932g. That's a huge difference. It's still an ok weight for an XC fork (and a lot lighter than your Dart), but it's not light when compared to other light XC forks. .
    As I said, it's not a bad fork. If RST has a good presence in Poland, then go ahead and get it if the price is right. It should be a big improvement over your Dart 1.
    There are some reviews of the F1RST Air here
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2...0_1565crx.aspx

The F1RST Platinum came out the following year and by then RST was no longer selling in the US, so that's why you're not seeing reviews on mtbr. I don't know why RST pulled out of the US. They seemed to be gaining some ground with their higher-end forks.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Funny enough, the Platinum was always posted with steerer weight. It was the only RST fork in their catalogue that had the steerer included and truly it did dazled me why they have chosen to do so. But still it can be havier then they claim, thanks for the warning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out DT Swiss and Magura forks as they are both located in Germany. Don't discount the importance of easily available technical support and easily available parts.