rebmem rbtm

RS Tora 318 U-turn coil vs. RS Pike 409 U-Turn

Hi guys, I´m lookin´ for a new long travel fork for my 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0, which currently has a 120mm SR suntour XCR that works pretty well. In my country good forks are hard to come by. I like to have the u-turn option ´cause i ride both XC and All mountain.

In Argentina (my country is next to Argentina) there is a guy selling a RS Pike 409 w/U-turn, 95-140mm travel and 20mm axle. The guy includes the 20mm hub for the wheel so that´s no problem. I think i´d prefer the pike.
    The thing is that the pike is about 100 dollars more expensive, and i´d have to go to argentina to pick it up or have it sent to me.
    On the other hand there is a nearby LBS selling a RS Tora 318 w/U turn and 85-130mm travel. This one has a 9mm axle.

What´s the best choice? I´m still saving money, i´m guessing i could pick it up for next month, perhaps sooner.

Any help?

rebmem rbtm

Anyone?

mtbr member
    You get the Pike and a 20mm hub for only $100 more than a Tora?

The pike is probably lighter even at 20mm, is definitely stiffer. I would say it's a no-brainer unless getting it from argentina is prohibitively expensive. Will also have to pay to replace the wheel unless you can build wheels, so I guess it comes down to price.

Do either have motion control?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The Tora 318 is a really good fork for the price it usually sells for, but for only $100 more, the Pike is a no-brainer, IMO. 20mm through axle, and a better version of the Motion Control damper.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

rebmem rbtm
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo
    You get the Pike and a 20mm hub for only $100 more than a Tora?

The pike is probably lighter even at 20mm, is definitely stiffer. I would say it's a no-brainer unless getting it from argentina is prohibitively expensive. Will also have to pay to replace the wheel unless you can build wheels, so I guess it comes down to price.

Do either have motion control?
    I think both do, for what i´ve read in internet...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142
    I think both do, for what i´ve read in internet...
    They are not the same version of Motion Control. The MC on the Pike has adjustable floodgate setting, Tora has a fixed floodgate setting. It makes a pretty big difference in setting up the fork.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For the price I paid for my Tora 318 u-turn, I love it. However, if you can get the Pike and the required 20mm hub for $100 more, I would go that route. The Pike is simply a better fork. You will need a hub adaptor to accomodate for the larger hub size, though, so factor that into the overall upgrade cost, as well.
    Trek 6000 - brushed aluminum
    RS Tora 318 u-turn
    2x9 w stinger/22-34-bash