Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

RS Pike VS Fox 36

the pikes are getting some awesome reviews and sound as though they are blowing the fox 34's out of the water...
    Can they be put in the same category as a fox 36 in terms of stiffness, plushness holding a line?
    At almost a pound lighter (36 float 4.9lbs, pike solo air 4.1lbs) can the pike keep up, or is this crazy talk?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    watching this thread...

Trail Ninja
    I want to say crazy talk, but I'm willing to trade almost a pound for a sexy fork that works acceptably well, at least if it's going on an "all-around trail bike". My long travel play bike is much happier with a 36, though I tend to grab a trail bike for more types of riding than I'd grab the long travel play bike for. If I got to pedal for more than 1 hour, then that 36, on a bike that weighs 31+ lbs, starts to look mighty unappealing next to a 27 lbs trail bike. That 36 doesn't feel like it slows me down on climbs, but my heart certainly feels it. Maybe that might be a good thing for my "training", but I don't want my rides to be training.

Not a fair comparison, but I feel FAR more confident on a Fox 34 plowing through the rock gardens and dry, loose, dusty, rutted chutes in SoCal on my 29er FS bike with XC tires than I do on a 150mm travel smaller wheeled bike with the Pike and beefy tires. I feel more control on the brakes while on the Pike (Avids on the Pike with grippy soft compound tires, XT on the 34 with low profile harder compound tires), but I must say that I like the feeling of being able to ride like a bull, with more weight on the front, on the 34. A stiff front end does wonders for confidence. Frame geo plays a role in that comparison too, and how much more time I spent on 29ers vs the fresh Pike-equipped build. It's a mystery to me how one of my 29ers can easily steer on a steep downslope while on the front brakes (heavier alloy frame), yet the other can't really (carbon bling with almost identical geo and tires/wheels), and the 26" with Pike just utterly fails at it (fork kind feels a bit sticky).

I'd like to hear from, and maybe contest, anyone that says the Pike is stiffer than the 34. I can easily say both are good deal behind the 36 in terms of confidence and stiffness. My 36 is kind of sticky in comparison, so I can say both the 34 and Pike are very plush. Am I interested in a Pike? Sure am, but it seems its sweet spot is in the 140-150mm travel range, with 160 pushing it. I never liked the feel of the older 32mm stanchion 140mm-150mm forks and that lead me to get a frame that would be worthy of a 36, which I honestly don't ride much and is *overkill*, so I'm glad that this filled a demand and is an worthy alternative to the 34. If I bought all new and wanted to plan a *lightweight* trail bike, and had a $5k+ budget, this would be the fork I choose. For a $3k budget, I'd be considering a Slant/Trace RL2 or a second-hand Fox 34, as people are unloading them for $500~ish after "upgrading" to a Pike to save 150g-200g and to get a more progressive spring rate and get a more useful open or "descend" damping setting, both of which can be addressed cheaply. With that 3k budget, I'd rather compromise on weight, than performance and reliability. Out of the box with minimal faffing, I can say the Pike impressed me the most, but I'd say the 34 can better match an AM bike's suspension and geo with a bit of tuning, which can be troublesome for those expecting more out of a "top tier" suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I want to say crazy talk, but I'm willing to trade almost a pound for a sexy fork that works acceptably well, at least if it's going on an "all-around trail bike". My long travel play bike is much happier with a 36, though I tend to grab a trail bike for more types of riding than I'd grab the long travel play bike for. If I got to pedal for more than 1 hour, then that 36, on a bike that weighs 31+ lbs, starts to look mighty unappealing next to a 27 lbs trail bike. That 36 doesn't feel like it slows me down on climbs, but my heart certainly feels it. Maybe that might be a good thing for my "training", but I don't want my rides to be training.

Not a fair comparison, but I feel FAR more confident on a Fox 34 plowing through the rock gardens and dry, loose, dusty, rutted chutes in SoCal on my 29er FS bike with XC tires than I do on a 150mm travel smaller wheeled bike with the Pike and beefy tires. I feel more control on the brakes while on the Pike (Avids on the Pike with grippy soft compound tires, XT on the 34 with low profile harder compound tires), but I must say that I like the feeling of being able to ride like a bull, with more weight on the front, on the 34. A stiff front end does wonders for confidence. Frame geo plays a role in that comparison too, and how much more time I spent on 29ers vs the fresh Pike-equipped build. It's a mystery to me how one of my 29ers can easily steer on a steep downslope while on the front brakes (heavier alloy frame), yet the other can't really (carbon bling with almost identical geo and tires/wheels), and the 26" with Pike just utterly fails at it (fork kind feels a bit sticky).

I'd like to hear from, and maybe contest, anyone that says the Pike is stiffer than the 34. I can easily say both are good deal behind the 36 in terms of confidence and stiffness. My 36 is kind of sticky in comparison, so I can say both the 34 and Pike are very plush. Am I interested in a Pike? Sure am, but it seems its sweet spot is in the 140-150mm travel range, with 160 pushing it. I never liked the feel of the older 32mm stanchion 140mm-150mm forks and that lead me to get a frame that would be worthy of a 36, which I honestly don't ride much and is *overkill*, so I'm glad that this filled a demand and is an worthy alternative to the 34. If I bought all new and wanted to plan a *lightweight* trail bike, and had a $5k+ budget, this would be the fork I choose. For a $3k budget, I'd be considering a Slant/Trace RL2 or a second-hand Fox 34, as people are unloading them for $500~ish after "upgrading" to a Pike to save 150g-200g and to get a more progressive spring rate and get a more useful open or "descend" damping setting, both of which can be addressed cheaply. With that 3k budget, I'd rather compromise on weight, than performance and reliability. Out of the box with minimal faffing, I can say the Pike impressed me the most, but I'd say the 34 can better match an AM bike's suspension and geo with a bit of tuning, which can be troublesome for those expecting more out of a "top tier" suspension fork.
    So...in a nutshell, do you think the 2014 Fox 34 TALAS is a better fork than the Pike for a 200ish pound rider for a "do it all bike"? More or less, I'm wondering if I could benefit more from the thicker stanchions of the Pike, or more from the versatility of the Fox 34.

Trail Ninja
    Too close to call. Get whatever checks more boxes of features you're looking for. They are very comparable, and fit the 140-160mm travel bikes *very well* in cases where 36 seems overkill and 32 seems too wimpy.

The aesthetics and weight got me to choose it, when I was presented with the choice. At first, I questioned if I really spent about $300 more for a fork due to its looks... I then asked myself, if the Pike was beat with an ugly stick, and was made a bit cheaper, would I still get it? My answer would be an instant NO, with me opting for the 34 instead. The fork was to replace a 32 Fox 150 QR that weighed 1730g, with the Pike weighing in at 1870g on my scale (uncut with axle). While the Pike is lighter, I don't think the Fox 34 has mass that's really wasted, that the extra mass helps give it a more solid ride feel. I just wanted to look at the big picture and see what fit the bike I was trying to build up and how I wanted to ride it, better. It was to be a lightweight trail fun machine that I could get wild on, with me wanting to get the tires off the ground more than digging into it, and not really to race or Strava on. I just wanted to to take whatever line my thought would lead to trouble, and try to look skillful and stylish. Being lightweight, lets me throw it around a bit more. The suspension performance of the Pike didn't leave me with the impression that it was ideal for that riding though, as the rebound kind of felt off for the first few rides until I found something that worked well with how I ride. It really made a huge difference over the fork it replaced though, obviously.

Don't judge a fork so much by the stanchion size, is all I got to say. The Pike is well designed. It looks like the guys at RockShox really had a good direction while designing this, looking at it as a complete package, designed to fit a certain demand, yet it seems that going with 35 might have been forced, as if they couldn't go with something in between 32 and 35. Love how light they got it, as that was the big question I had with the 34, asking if it was worth the extra weight, with me thinking no (for my trails and riding style on this bike). Looks like they designed it for those that like a *really* plush and compliant fork, for comfort and traction, but it sort of gives false security. Not sure what it is, but it seems like it has a second personality where it kind of wants to be a performance fork too. Maybe it's just my fork, but it's not too predictable and I'm forced to ride a bit more careful at times, to be ready to use my arms to make up for things, which I actually don't mind, since I like a bit of challenge, but again, I'm trying to take wild lines and the fork really isn't giving me the confidence. Maybe there's a bit of binding that makes the fork stickier when under certain loads. Point is, it kind of feels wimpy for a 35, to the point that a 34 might seem like it's possibly stiffer, but for a fork that weighs 1870g (or 150g more than my 32), it offers a world of difference. If I sound like I don't like the fork, then this came across wrong... I love this fork. It ould be better though. Maybe I was just expecting too much, due to the hype. It's a top tier choice... just pick accordingly, as another choice might be better suited to you and your riding habits. That or just adapt to the equipment... I usually adapt to equipment, but I don't want to let the equipment dictate how I should ride.

Too Much Fun

RS Pike VS Fox 36

Not a fair comparison, but I feel FAR more confident on a Fox 34 plowing through the rock gardens and dry, loose, dusty, rutted chutes in SoCal on my 29er FS bike with XC tires than I do on a 150mm travel smaller wheeled bike with the Pike and beefy tires..
    Wow, I've sort of been waiting for someone to throw some Real Talk on the Pike love fest. I've loved my PUSH'd 36 something fierce, and now I'm going to be building up a new ride soon, definitely torn between the 2014 Float 34 that's coming VS selling it off for the magic Pike. The Pike is a looker, sure, but is it worth selling the 34 that I've got coming with the bike.... Not so sure.

I can say the Pike impressed me the most, but I'd say the 34 can better match an AM bike's suspension and geo with a bit of tuning, which can be troublesome for those expecting more out of a "top tier" suspension fork.
    Key word is "tuning"... I'm likely sending my 34 to PUSH for their newest kit. The work they've done for me has all been fantastic.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Too close to call. Get whatever checks more boxes of features you're looking for. They are very comparable, and fit the 140-160mm travel bikes *very well* in cases where 36 seems overkill and 32 seems too wimpy.

The aesthetics and weight got me to choose it, when I was presented with the choice. At first, I questioned if I really spent about $300 more for a fork due to its looks... I then asked myself, if the Pike was beat with an ugly stick, and was made a bit cheaper, would I still get it? My answer would be an instant NO, with me opting for the 34 instead. The fork was to replace a 32 Fox 150 QR that weighed 1730g, with the Pike weighing in at 1870g on my scale (uncut with axle). While the Pike is lighter, I don't think the Fox 34 has mass that's really wasted, that the extra mass helps give it a more solid ride feel. I just wanted to look at the big picture and see what fit the bike I was trying to build up and how I wanted to ride it, better. It was to be a lightweight trail fun machine that I could get wild on, with me wanting to get the tires off the ground more than digging into it, and not really to race or Strava on. I just wanted to to take whatever line my thought would lead to trouble, and try to look skillful and stylish. Being lightweight, lets me throw it around a bit more. The suspension performance of the Pike didn't leave me with the impression that it was ideal for that riding though, as the rebound kind of felt off for the first few rides until I found something that worked well with how I ride. It really made a huge difference over the fork it replaced though, obviously.

Don't judge a fork so much by the stanchion size, is all I got to say. The Pike is well designed. It looks like the guys at RockShox really had a good direction while designing this, looking at it as a complete package, designed to fit a certain demand, yet it seems that going with 35 might have been forced, as if they couldn't go with something in between 32 and 35. Love how light they got it, as that was the big question I had with the 34, asking if it was worth the extra weight, with me thinking no (for my trails and riding style on this bike). Looks like they designed it for those that like a *really* plush and compliant fork, for comfort and traction, but it sort of gives false security. Not sure what it is, but it seems like it has a second personality where it kind of wants to be a performance fork too. Maybe it's just my fork, but it's not too predictable and I'm forced to ride a bit more careful at times, to be ready to use my arms to make up for things, which I actually don't mind, since I like a bit of challenge, but again, I'm trying to take wild lines and the fork really isn't giving me the confidence. Maybe there's a bit of binding that makes the fork stickier when under certain loads. Point is, it kind of feels wimpy for a 35, to the point that a 34 might seem like it's possibly stiffer, but for a fork that weighs 1870g (or 150g more than my 32), it offers a world of difference. If I sound like I don't like the fork, then this came across wrong... I love this fork. It ould be better though. Maybe I was just expecting too much, due to the hype. It's a top tier choice... just pick accordingly, as another choice might be better suited to you and your riding habits. That or just adapt to the equipment... I usually adapt to equipment, but I don't want to let the equipment dictate how I should ride.
    Thank you for the in depth response. I'm getting a new Trek Slash 8 when they come out. The 7 is spec'd with a Pike and the 8 is spec'd with the Fox 34 (evolution series). I like the way the Pike looks a lot better, and with all the hype, it's been tempting to talk to my LBS about a possible swap of the 34 for the Pike. I'll most likely stick with the Fox after reading this and other real world comparisons. Thanks again!

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Key word is "tuning"... I'm likely sending my 34 to PUSH for their newest kit. The work they've done for me has all been fantastic.
    benja55, you cut out the context out of that quote, where I was talking about "out of the box" feel, pumping it up with air and setting up damping to comfortable settings. Just clearing that up, in case someone else read and maybe thought I meant something else. I only had to add more float fluid for a more progressive spring rate to match my VPP bike, but the spring rate worked pretty well with my SB95/Switch bike. Not really anything notable to adding float fluid, but people seem to peg the 34 for even needing to do it. I consider it a plus to be able to tune it that way; the Pike can only be made more progressive, and not more coil-like. I think people are just griping about the 34 not having a familiar or expected feel. The Pike's spring rate isn't much diff from the old Fox's, which works okay with the 3.1-2.85 progressive leverage ratio curve and more rearward biased weight distro on my bike, considering my inclination to be in a more aggro position.

I don't even know my own fork. Does the Pike have some sort of mid-stroke support for cornering or something? Also, it came with so many things in the box that I haven't even looked at, let alone used. Thought it came with a bleed kit too, but I guess I got my Reverb box mixed up. Had some spacer with the pump, which I didn't take a better look at, some air volume bumpers, star nut, manual and new wiper seals. Maybe it's the X Fusion I was also looking at, that had the mid-stroke support, and not the Pike. I think the 26" 34 has a longer A2C length and more offset, more comparable to the Pike 27.5, which might be better for less of that "self-righting" floppy steering effect, a bit slacker HA, and a bit more pedal clearance.

Got an e-mail from Pinkbike advertising their hottest vids and watched one which caught my attention. I was watching it to see the difference between the Enduro World Series racers on 34s compared to the ones on Pikes (black stanchions). I find what I saw was consistent with my impressions, with the 34 actually feeling more controlled the rougher it gets. The really skilled riders seem to do fine on the Pike, but I find that the more tired I get, the more I notice how the Pike doesn't quite handle things as well. Of course, in my case it's prob more about the 29er wheels vs 26".

Must Watch: Enduro World Series Round 5 - Pinkbike

Not the best footage to flatter the Pike, with the guy who crashed at 2:35 being on one, and the also the guy who went off course. Clementz kind of looks a bit careful and needing to use more body input to ride.

mtbr member
    Man I am getting more and more confused by your ^ post as I read them. Your comparing a 29ers handling traits to a 26? Then you added float fluid to your 34 which creates a more progressive curve but you didnt want to do the exact same thing (tokens) with your Pike? Im just trying to figure out why you didnt want to mess with volume changes on the Pike but choose to on the Fox 34? And please dont watch what how the pro's bikes look, it will drive you crazy lol you better believe they are not running stock valving in anything they have. Please dont take this a being harsh but your bursting my Pike bubble! lol I would much rather order the Fox 34 of the Pike if you really believe it is a better performer for aggressive/expert level riders, as I have not ordered mine yet.

mtbr member
    I would like to hear more about this. I currently have a 2013 Fox Float, but read recently that the travel adjustment doesn't always result in a reduction in the axle to crown.

Therefore I am looking for either a PIKE or a Fox 34, but I am afraid to get rid of the fox 36.

UPDATE: I just checked my fork and it already had a shuttle bumper reducer but the axle-to-crown was 545mm, I had a new shuttle bumper and it lowered it 5mm.
    Last edited by Dude!; 09-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Lightly salted
    Im watching this thread to.
    I have an Ibis HDr which Im going to run 160mm 26". I have been running a 2012 Fox 36 160 that I always felt could be better. I have the frame ready to build and I have the 2014 fox 36 160 and a pike 160 here to. I have to decide which one I want and send the other back with in a couple days. Its driving me crazy trying to decide. Im around 190lbs fully geared, I have to decide if I want the lighter Pike or the stiffer fox 36...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I have an Ibis HDr which Im going to run 160mm 26". I have been running a 2012 Fox 36 160 that I always felt could be better. I have the frame ready to build and I have the 2014 fox 36 160 and a pike 160 here to. I have to decide which one I want and send the other back with in a couple days. Its driving me crazy trying to decide. Im around 190lbs fully geared, I have to decide if I want the lighter Pike or the stiffer fox 36...
    Put them both on and side load them to see how much of a diff there is in stiffness. I'm real hesitant to go Pike because of 15mn TA but everyone is now saying the Pike is plenty stiff. Would love to hear your opinion on this after trying side by side!

Thanks!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by kxmoto502 View Post
    your bursting my Pike bubble! lol I would much rather order the Fox 34 of the Pike if you really believe it is a better performer for aggressive/expert level riders, as I have not ordered mine yet.
    Welcome to consumer reviews.

Well, if you're like the others, just treat consumer reviews as a popularity contest and go with what the "majority" says about things. And that is that the Pike rocks, CTD sux, Avid Elixir sux, XT brakes rock, Santa Cruz rocks, Specialized... In my experience, all these popular opinions are old ways of thinking or just ignorant. Things have changed or there's a deeper story to things, but peoples' simple prejudiced opinions remained. There's also a lack of credibility and lots of presumptions being made.

I wonder if I had my Pike bubble popped by 26" wheels. Let me hop onto my Fox 36-equipped ASR7 as a refresher, to compare to the Pike. If my impression of that fork are still as accurate as I think it is (that's why I compared it to the 34, instead of 36, as I thought it was clear that it was not as stiff as the 36), it's going to be so much more capable and overkill that I'm not even going to ride it like a trail bike and will just seek out big things to huck, jump, and drop in order to challenge it. I also have a Totem that I can swap in, but that will just be taking it even further than the 36... too bad I don't have a Lyrik to play around with. That would be my question, is the Pike a more XC version of the Lyrik and does the Lyrik still have a role or niche? Is the Pike as stiff? Pike seems to make sense for a lightweight trail bike, but for a burlier build, I think it still makes sense to go with the burlier forks. A stiff front end makes a huge difference in how you ride. Don't believe that marketing BS that says "stiffness has been increased by 20%" or whatever, instead just believe in what you feel on an actual ride.

Off-topic, how does/did the Lyrik compare to the 36 in general, in terms of stiffness, over the past few years?

mtbr member
    Thanks for your insight. I'm on a vengeance air hlr and just looking for something different. So in your opinion do you feel the 34 is a little more capable than the pike for fast and aggressive riders or just stick with bigger stiffer forks? Thanks again for your time

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can just buy a 2013 air cartridge and negative spring plate for your 2012 36. It's less than $100. From memory there is at least an inch difference in length between the 2012 and 2013 piston rods and negative spring system is completely different. More small bump compliance, yet more linear and supportive mid range.

The plus with your 2012 is you have clearance to run any 650B tire where as you can't with later models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    the pikes are getting some awesome reviews and sound as though they are blowing the fox 34's out of the water...
    Can they be put in the same category as a fox 36 in terms of stiffness, plushness holding a line?
    At almost a pound lighter (36 float 4.9lbs, pike solo air 4.1lbs) can the pike keep up, or is this crazy talk?
    For what it's worth I can notice the difference in stiffness from a 36 Float to a Marz 55CR which is a lb heavier and 20mm axle compared to the pike with the same 35mm stanchions.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Varaxis, are you talking about the 2014 Pike, or the previous versions here?
    Because they are different animals.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Welcome to consumer reviews.
    Well, if you're like the others, just treat consumer reviews as a popularity contest and go with what the "majority" says about things. And that is that the Pike rocks, CTD sux, Avid Elixir sux, XT brakes rock, Santa Cruz rocks, Specialized... In my experience, all these popular opinions are old ways of thinking or just ignorant. Things have changed or there's a deeper story to things, but peoples' simple prejudiced opinions remained. There's also a lack of credibility and lots of presumptions being made.
    Well here's some FUEL for your "consumer reviews" fire...
    My source (who will remain un-named but does more aftermarket tuning than probably anyone and is often recommended on the forum) states that the Fox 34's stanchion's are too thin creating a problem at the crown interface so creaking will be an issue for a majority of those forks. Fox cannot fix the problem as the crown is not large enough to support thicker stanchions without a complete retool of it or the damper internals. So... the fix right now is to warranty the complainers and hope they don't get too many and not deal with a full blown recall. This isn't internet hype, nor consumer reports, this is real info from one of the most trusted sources in the industry. Peeps want the lightest possible fork and here's what peeps get - a big compromise. He has an excellent damper fix for it but told me to avoid the 34 like the plague if I didn't already have one. I can also tell you the Fox 34 that I have personally ridden was brand new and creaked like crazy. The owner hated the damping system and I certainly wasn't impressed with that either. Now I have not ridden the new Pike so I'm certainly not going to endorse that product but I can say it would be a cold day in hell before I'd buy a 34!

Cat's outta the bag bro!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-06-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The RCT3 controls on the Pike versus the CTD on the Fox 34 make it a no brainer, even if the other aspects of the fork were identical, and I don't think they are. Having low speed compression adjustment in the "open" HSC setting is something every single high end fork should have. The CTD forks don't, and I'll never buy another one until that changes. I own both a Fox 34 and a Pike, both 29".

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post

Cat's outta the bag bro!

G MAN
    I like cats, so I'll consider this a good thing.

Really though, if the Fox 34s are so bad, then why are they spec'd on so many high end bikes? I believe the "industry" isn't as bad as people say...but then again, I'm an optimist. Would your source recommend nothing less than a 36mm then? I'll have to admit, I'm new to the sport and trying to learn as much as I can, but all the negativity I run into is quite disheartening.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    I like cats, so I'll consider this a good thing.

Really though, if the Fox 34s are so bad, then why are they spec'd on so many high end bikes? I believe the "industry" isn't as bad as people say...but then again, I'm an optimist. Would your source recommend nothing less than a 36mm then? I'll have to admit, I'm new to the sport and trying to learn as much as I can, but all the negativity I run into is quite disheartening.
    These industries are about selling stuff and making money, not necessarily providing the best products. That may be a little harsh in many cases, but these are also not huge manufacturers like auto companies and others that could absorb a few thousand incorrectly specced parts, in fact they plan for those kinds of things. This means that when presented with a widespread problem that wasn't caught before distribution, many companies will try to still move the merchandise.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    Really though, if the Fox 34s are so bad, then why are they spec'd on so many high end bikes? I believe the "industry" isn't as bad as people say...but then again, I'm an optimist.
    I am torn between honestly responding to this sentiment, and not wanting to burst such a beautifully optimistic bubble.

This must be what parents go through when deciding when to come clean about Santa Claus.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Trail Ninja
    Pike vs 36, I can't make any comment about except for stiffness, since my 36 is an '11 and it doesn't feel anywhere near as sensitive. Pike vs 34, again is too close to call. Thought it was pretty well known that the sensitivity and plushness of the Pike is very notable, though I wonder how the 34 with the '14 damper in descend mode would compare. The damping is a totally new beast that I haven't yet got my head wrapped around yet. The Pike has a more usable damping range than CTD, which I typically leave on Trail, yet has a hard describe feel that kicks in during the more choppier sections when you are using up the mid stroke, to the point that I try to find alternate lines and methods to get through such sections on the Pike to avoid that, such as trying to gap part of it. It feels different enough that I'd say that determining which is better is more of a matter of personal preference. Fox seems to have their stiffness and damping tuned to allow the fork to feel more consistent when quickly plowing through the rough in a fairly straight line. The Pike just feels tuned for traction and comfort. Reminds me of how amateurs like to run their suspension and tires really soft, and in contrast the pros run their suspension really hard, with the Fox feeling in-between (trail mode) and the Pike more on the amateur/plush side. I have to elaborate on the braking on the Pike too, as it really smooths out the braking bumps well, allowing me to slow down without compromising my body's positioning (more centered, less off the back), and setting me up a little better for those flow killing 90+ degree turns on downslopes that made my 26" feel like they were rolling over the chatter and ruts and finding traction like a 29er. Hard to say which is better in the steering/torsional department, with me feeling like they could both be better, though I'm feeling pretty comfortable pushing the Pike on all sorts of cambers, since its lateral stiffness seems to be pretty good. If you are interested in something different, then you might love the Pike too. Never really felt so into learning the nuances of a fork before I got on this Pike. It has a very interesting personality that helps make the bike feel more fun, though I don't think it's for everyone. It's going to take me some time getting used to, as it's not very predictable, but that's more of a case of unfamiliarity than something bad. It's something that you probably should ride and try before buying, though the more I ride it, the more I feel I made a good choice (and slowly making me forget how much I paid... emphasis on slowly). I have no urge to replace it with a 34, and I don't feel any urge to replace my 34s with the Pike, though I do wonder how it feels on a 29er. They each help provide a different ride experience, making familiar trails feel fresh again, at least until the "new bike high" fades away.

I've got to say that Steve Smith is a badass for getting on one, apparently his first day on it and the Devinci Troy, and feeling so comfortable on it that he won Crankworx Air DH on it, though considering how beat up that track was said to be with braking bumps and whatnot, I have a feeling that it helped him conserve more energy for pedaling. That or SRAM helped him dial it in so it wouldn't feel so odd that it would throw him off.

Team Chilidog!

RS Pike VS Fox 36

I converted my Float 36 to a Van. Much happier now. Can't wait to get back on the bike (surgery recovery, 2-3 months off).

Then again, I like the feel of coil, and I think it's worth the 1/4 lb in weight increase from the Float.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I am torn between honestly responding to this sentiment, and not wanting to burst such a beautifully optimistic bubble.

This must be what parents go through when deciding when to come clean about Santa Claus.
    I think I'd prefer to go on believing in Santa Claus, so thanks for not bursting my bubble. I'm coming off a 32x100mm spring fork anyways, so I'm sure any improvement will be much loved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast