• 09-10-2013
    Serenity Now
    RS Pike Lost all compression damping
    Hey all,

I have a 150mm Pike 29er. Love the fork but unfortunately after only about 2 weeks of use I've completely lost all compression damping. The 3 position switch on the top of the right leg does nothing, nor does the low speed compression damping dial. I'm in Canada on a road trip so it's not so easy to contact Sram although I'll try tmrw and I'm sure they'll help me out, Just wanted to check here to see if I was doing something really stupid first.

Anyone else had issues with their Pike?
  • 09-10-2013
    Jayem
    Nope, but it's a bladder damper. If that bladder gets torn or comes unseated, you'll have no damping.
  • 09-10-2013
    Pau11y
    RMA time for you SN!
  • 09-11-2013
    Serenity Now
    Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear of course but good to know.
  • 09-11-2013
    Pau11y
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear of course but good to know.

Meh...if you're in CO, nothing to ride due to torrential rains. Plus, you'll prob get some pretty close attention by a RS squishy tech on a rebuild...since the Pikes are so new and they'll take care to walk down their procedures :thumbsup:
  • 09-11-2013
    boogenman
    Torn or unseated bladder or o-ring failure somewhere else. Either way you lost oil and pressure somewhere.
  • 09-11-2013
    Serenity Now
    I'm in Whistler in the middle of one weeks vacation. Tried to call SRAM today but no luck eating through.

I presume it's safe to ride, albeit with shitty performance right? I've increased the pressure a bit to compensate.
  • 09-11-2013
    Jayem
    Quote:

I'm in Whistler in the middle of one weeks vacation. Tried to call SRAM today but no luck eating through.

I presume it's safe to ride, albeit with shitty performance right? I've increased the pressure a bit to compensate.

Yes, if you want to screw it up more and risk a catastrophic failure, it is safe to ride.
  • 09-12-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, if you want to screw it up more and risk a catastrophic failure, it is safe to ride.

Yes. OP -- I would rent a bike instead, which is probably $50-80 a day. I haven't been to Whistler, but friends have rented in Colorado.

I don't know how you could possibly contemplate riding a fork with no damping. That's absurd. You will crash a lot and you'll possibly get hurt, and you won't enjoy a minute of it. Plus you're intentionally riding a broken $900 fork.

Easy choice. Borrow, rent or don't ride.
  • 09-12-2013
    tacubaya
    Quote:

Check Fluid Function - We Fix Rockshox out! They are located in Function Junction, 10 min. bus from Whistler Village.
  • 09-12-2013
    Serenity Now
    It has rebound damping just no compression damping. I've already ridden 2 days with it like it is, so it's absurd to me to suggest its unrideable. Hey I'd rather not ride it, but renting costs more like 125/day and there is nothing in my size(XXL). The fluid junction advice was great. I'll check them out.

I don't want to ruin a fork but its also not my fault that its screwed up after just 5 rides so I'd expect SRAM to look after me.

Lots of idealists out there but when you have a vacation planned months ahead. It's hard to just say "I won't ride at all for fear of damaging my fork".
  • 09-12-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

It has rebound damping just no compression damping. I've already ridden 2 days with it like it is, so it's absurd to me to suggest its unrideable. Hey I'd rather not ride it, but renting costs more like 125/day and there is nothing in my size(XXL). The fluid junction advice was great. I'll check them out.

I don't want to ruin a fork but its also not my fault that its screwed up after just 5 rides so I'd expect SRAM to look after me.

Lots of idealists out there but when you have a vacation planned months ahead. It's hard to just say "I won't ride at all for fear of damaging my fork".

I have taken my bike on vacation so I actually know exactly what you are talking about. I couldn't ride downhill without compression damping. I would crash, most likely OTB, and I would not enjoy it.

Size XXL is indeed a serious concern and limitation but I would guess you've ridden XL bikes before, even owned them.

$125/day for a mid-travel bike --like your Pike must surely be installed on-- sounds really high. I've never seen that high in Colorado for full DH rigs.

Anyway, I wasn't intending to kick a man when he's down. Hope you get it repaired or a suitable rental. Cheers.
  • 09-12-2013
    Serenity Now
    Colin, no worries mate. Apologies if I came across harsh. Yeah trail bikes maybe cheaper. $125 was for a DH rig, and I thought I'd maybe rent one of those, just because... Good news is that I fixed the problem. I took the low speed compression dial off (the 2mm Allen) and the nut underneath that was completely loose. Tightened that up, and loctited it. Problem solved. So I guess in hindsight I should say I had compression damping all along, just couldn't increase it for up here, like I wanted, and the 3 position switch wasn't working.

I hope no-one else has the same problem, but if so maybe this thread will help.

BTW. Rode the park all day on the Tallboy. Everyone advised against it, but we had a blast. Did Top of the World, Freight Train, A-Line etc etc, and it handled it all great.

Thanks all for your help.
  • 09-12-2013
    Jayem
    So have you really lost compression damping or you lost compression damping ADJUSTMENT? Those are two vastly different things.
  • 09-13-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So have you really lost compression damping or you lost compression damping ADJUSTMENT? Those are two vastly different things.

Yep! This does explain why he was able to ride the fork. I'm thinking no compression damping is instant OTB the first time you point downhill. :D
  • 09-13-2013
    Jayem
    Yeah, probably still shouldn't be riding due to his limited understanding of the equipment, no telling what is wrong :)
  • 09-13-2013
    Serenity Now
    Jayem, it's ***** like you who give the Internet a bad name. Didnt I just answer your question in the post directly above yours? The compression damping was stuck on minimum, and I couldn't increase it.

Apologies all, for not using the correct parlance.
  • 09-13-2013
    mullen119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I'm thinking no compression damping is instant OTB the first time you point downhill. :D

I would disagree with this. Rock shox Domain R and Lyrik R forks have no compression damper at all. The top cap on the damper side is just a cover to keep the oil in and the rebound damper is just a simple port orifice damper. Its terrible that they make a long travel fork this way, but they do, and people dont go flying OTB all the time. Its not ideal to have no compression damper, but its not a death sentence. Not if you have the proper spring rate anyway.

Anyway, Im glad you figured it out OP. :thumbsup:
  • 09-13-2013
    Jayem
    Quote:

Jayem, it's ***** like you who give the Internet a bad name. Didnt I just answer your question in the post directly above yours? The compression damping was stuck on minimum, and I couldn't increase it.

Apologies all, for not using the correct parlance.

You posted that before I had completed my post, so I didn't see it, but you did say in TWO separate posts that you had lost ALL compression damping. Again, that's vastly different than losing the adjustment. Glad you got it figured out though and was able to keep riding, a good outcome is always nice. I'm thinking a few broken pikes are probably par for the course due to how many have exploded on the scene in such a short amount of time. To this extent, I'm surprised we haven't seen a few damper failures. It seems like everyone has ordered a pike and all new bikes have them already. They must have had a massive production run.
  • 09-15-2013
    Serenity Now
    Jayem,

Fair enough. I'd suggest it can be difficult to distinguish between no compression damping and absolute minimum (i.e. not enough), when the fork is new and I don't really have much time on it, but point taken.

I don't buy the idea that a fork is unrideable without compression damping. Shitty handling yeah, but instant OTB no. By increasing the pressure I avoided fork dive (albeit at the cost of suppleness and sag). My first Suspension fork was a Manitou 1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember that having any compression damping.....
  • 09-15-2013
    Jayem
    Quote:

Jayem,

Fair enough. I'd suggest it can be difficult to distinguish between no compression damping and absolute minimum (i.e. not enough), when the fork is new and I don't really have much time on it, but point taken.

I don't buy the idea that a fork is unrideable without compression damping. Shitty handling yeah, but instant OTB no. By increasing the pressure I avoided fork dive (albeit at the cost of suppleness and sag). My first Suspension fork was a Manitou 1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember that having any compression damping.....

Not sure if you are aware of this, but even with the selector set all the way to the left, at "zero", there is still compression damping. Same is true for rear shocks. Compression damping is extremely important for suspension. Although some variations of low-end forks sometimes have very crude compression damping, there is usually some form of compression damping. The pike is ridable with the compression damping on "zero", for sure, but trust me, it most definitely still has compression damping at that setting.

I don't know if the manitou 1 was all elastomer or if it had a damping cartridge, but if it was all elastomer, the elastomer was providing the compression damping. It actually absorbs energy as it compresses (compression damping). If it had a cartridge, as I know some of the early manitou and RS forks did, I assure it had compression damping via the internal piston in the cartridge. It just wasn't externally adjustable compression.
  • 09-15-2013
    Serenity Now
    Yep well aware of that, but I won't bother going on as it doesn't really add anything to the discussion.