mtbr member
    Jan 2006

RS Pike 426 or RS Revelation Dual Air for AM

Hey,

Want to buy a new fork. Get good deals on RS. Is the Pike and the required 20 mm wheel worth the extra money over the Revelation Dual Air??
    Reviews for both are good - so is the extra money worth it and needed? I ride wherever I can - but am no big stunt rider. I am mature and smart - so don't jump many buildings or roads anymore. HAHA.
    I just like to ride everywhere - up, down, and all around. No problem going to the smaller and and more technical/difficult trails in my area - or stretching out to all day rides (with lots of rests - like I said I am mature: read old!! HA).

Ok - I know the Pike will be stiffer (20 mm) - 10 mm more travel - but is it worth the extra over a revelation?

Any help out there - riding experiences?? I am 205lbs if that helps.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    With our weight I would do the Pike with out a doubt. I have a Pike on my turner 5 spot and love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Depends on the frame that you are putting them on. I've got Revs on my Heckler that work fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Functionally both forks are very similar. You just need to ask yourself if you need the 140mm of travel or stiffness of the thru-axel, if so, than the Pike is the answer. Sounds like you have enough knowledge that you should be able to answer this based on previous bikes and experience.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Go for the Pike. You'll notice the appreciable difference in stiffness over a QR fork, especially at over 200#. Hell, I notice it, and I'm only 145# or so.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Freshly Fujified

Is weight an issue?

If it is, then go with the Revelation. I think the Pike is about a full pound more. I had a similar dilemma, and chose to go with the Revelation. I also had budgetary constraints to consider and picked up a Rev 409 new bike take-off for $215 shipped. That is incredibly cheap, and I know I saved at least $100 by skimping on the external floodgate offered on a 426 (I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy). As you see, in my situation, it made more sense to go with the Revelation.

By all means, if you can afford the Pike and a 20mm thru axle front wheel, it's going to be stiffer, track better, and take big hits better. If you're doing typical aggressive XC without drops, etc., it might be overkill.

Just my twisted view on the situation.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I had a revelation on a 5 Spot for a long time and loved it - only got rid of the fork when i got an RFX. I am over 200 and had no issues. you need to tell us the frame the fork would go on. At full extension the Pike is taller than the Revelation and you need to ensure a Pike would not balls up the handling of your frame and make it very slow or very difficult to climb. your frame will have been built around a certain fork a-c height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Pike VS Revelation

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. The frame is a mint 2003 Balfa 2Step. Not a Hd model - the regular trail model. Travel is listed at 5.3" - but most say about 5 1/2" they get.
    Burly frame, but very rideable too - rode one for a while in 2003 (with a crappy RS Psylo).
    Excellent HD frame and quality - could certainly handle the Pike or more.

So here it is - the Pike/20 mm rim would cost an extra $150 CDN over the Revelation. Is the 10 mm and 20 mm axle worth it?? I know bikes, but am unsure I would notice enough difference to justify.

I know stronger, burlier, etc, etc....But stantions are the same size, most specs seem just as tough - bigger axle and 10 more mm of travel.

Also - the Pike I get the best deal on is a 2007 Coil U turn.
    The Revelation is a 2006 Dual Air.

So thoughts now. Weight difference is recorded in catalogue as 3.75 - 5.4 lbs respectively. 1.65 pounds - although then the 20 mm hub brings it over 2 lbs heavier....

Worth it??

Thanks

mtbr member

Had both

Got the revealation dual air ...dont huck so i dont need the 20 mm thru axle...damn fine fork better than my Fox float.....and lite, the weight is why i have the Rev over the Pike

Quote Originally Posted by lmbrjck
    Hi,

Thanks for all the input. The frame is a mint 2003 Balfa 2Step. Not a Hd model - the regular trail model. Travel is listed at 5.3" - but most say about 5 1/2" they get.
    Burly frame, but very rideable too - rode one for a while in 2003 (with a crappy RS Psylo).
    Excellent HD frame and quality - could certainly handle the Pike or more.

So here it is - the Pike/20 mm rim would cost an extra $150 CDN over the Revelation. Is the 10 mm and 20 mm axle worth it?? I know bikes, but am unsure I would notice enough difference to justify.

I know stronger, burlier, etc, etc....But stantions are the same size, most specs seem just as tough - bigger axle and 10 more mm of travel.

Also - the Pike I get the best deal on is a 2007 Coil U turn.
    The Revelation is a 2006 Dual Air.

So thoughts now. Weight difference is recorded in catalogue as 3.75 - 5.4 lbs respectively. 1.65 pounds - although then the 20 mm hub brings it over 2 lbs heavier....

Worth it??

Thanks
    Man, for that frame, the Pike is a much better match, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're 200+ lbs, don't forget you'll need to buy a heavier spring for the Pike too. But it does sound like the best match for the bike.

Time is not a road.
    Yes, the thru axle is worth it. I recently switched to a 20mm axle and the difference is very apparent, even with the simple stuff like ledges and rocks. The front end does not deflect off to the side on way or another, just sails straight and true.

With RS' Maxle, there's simply no reason not to get the TA option.

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Yes, the thru axle is worth it. I recently switched to a 20mm axle and the difference is very apparent, even with the simple stuff like ledges and rocks. The front end does not deflect off to the side on way or another, just sails straight and true.

With RS' Maxle, there's simply no reason not to get the TA option.
    Yep, other than a rigid fork or superlight race bike, I can't see me ever going back to a QR fork. And since I don't race...

Like above, I'm a little guy. Max 165-170# with a really full pack, helmet, etc. And the extra stiffness is readily apparant. Better handling, but it detracts nothing at all from the forks performance.