mtbr member
    Feb 2007

RS Pearl 3.1 chirping like a bird

Shock in question:

This is a new 2008 Titus EG build and I have a disclaimer that I have only ridden this thing a total of maybe six hours.

When the Pearl 3.1 compresses it has this funny chirping sound. The shock works just fine and I notice no performance issues but it is so loud and noticeable that people laugh at it and make bird calls to me while I ride! =(

It's kind of embarrassing. Anyone know what's up here?

usually cranky
    all rockshox are noisy. its the piston moving the oil around. dont let those people get you down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Chew toy

Hmmm let me see if I can phrase this another way. Ever heard a dog chewing on those rubber squeaky toys? The ones that make the loud squeaky noise when you squeeze them and then another different pitch when you release them?

That's what it sounds like, absolutely exactly. 100%. And the volume is pretty comical too. Though, I have heard that these things are noisy I just can't see that sound being anyway related to oil.

usually cranky
    i know, i have had a bar, ario, monarch, all sound more or less the same. im almost positive the squeak is due to how fast your rebuond is set which will determine how fast of slow the piston moves through the oil. if you want to experiance it first hand set your rebound all the way fast and then all the way slow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Follow up

Just a follow up on this, I got a call from a SRAM rep today and apparently they've had a lot of problems with the Pearl, and he is going to mail me a new Monarch shock. Awesome! That's great customer service, and I am definitely happy.