mtbr member
    Jun 2011

RS Monarch, Monarch Plus, Vivid tune diagram

I was poking around trying to figure out what Monarch Plus 'tune' would work best with my bike and I found this graph. Probably useful for other people trying to figure it out.

ah FFS, I can't post links yet cuz I don't have enough posts so you'll have to cut n paste. Sorry about that. Maybe someone can post this link properly in a reply.

triple w and then qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Great link, if only someone could now explain what it all means....

I have a 200mm x 57mm monarch rc3 Plus on a 140mm travel bike. Leverage ratio is 2.46. Shock has a sticker on it with a red "M" for rebound and blue "L" for compression indicating the tune. I picked this shock up as a take off and am pretty sure I'm close to what this bike needs, if not spot on, going by feel. Complicated subject to me so if anyone cartes to elaborate, fire away!
    Last edited by Cracka; 11-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.

staike
    You guys have to post WHICH bike you have, the leverage curves is entirely different between frame designs, all the numbers is completely useless without knowing which bikes you're rocking.

staike
    Cracka: I'm guessing your bike is progreesive (rising rate), so you would be right between a L and M comp tune.

mtbr member
    My bike is a 2011 Fuji Reveal. I contacted the manufacturer and the said it was a "progressive" suspension design. Not sure what it all means but I think I totally lucked out on this shock. Just added XO shifters and rear derraileur and carbon bars. Bike is 29lb. 12 oz. With some burley tires and a cushy seat. 150mm revelation dual air up front as well. Now as soon as it quits snowing, time to ride it some more!

staike
    Progressive means the leverage ratio is getting lower deeper into the travel.

Here's a random example of a graph showing it:

The AVERAGE leverage ratio is 203/76 = 2,67. But in the beggining of the travel the leverage ratio is 3,1. In the end of the travel the leverage ratio is 2,3. What this means is that in the beginning of the travel the wheel/axle moves 3,1 mm for every mm the shock is moving. In the end it's moving LESS. This will make the bike "ramp up", it gets harder and harder though the travel.

If the leverage ratio was linear, the line would be a perfectly horizontal line, which actually matches air shocks good because air shocks are progressive by nature, because of the air pressure ramping up inside the shock.