mtbr member
    Apr 2006

RS Lyric 2-Step VS RS Lyric U-Turn VS Fox 36 VAN RC2

What did you prefer?

TNC
    noMAD man
    I wonder how many people have any extensive riding time on all 3 forks? I'd like to try out a Lyrik. I have a Van 36 and a 66SL, both excellent forks. The Turner board has some recent and decent Lyrik feedback. I notice there are some issues surfacing on the Lyrik, but it's a little early to say if any of the problems are serious.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Mmm my ride is now on a loaned Pike 454, and I know from day-1 I should get on of those fork to balance my rear. Soo I will also see if one of those is one to keep.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by ruiabreu
    What did you prefer?
    Lyrik! The question is air or coil? I say coil for better small bump compliance.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I have been extremely happy with my Lyrik U-turn. It's stiff, plush and the travel adjust and lock out are really helpful on the climbs. Four rides on it, so it's too early to say if it's the world's best fork yet, but I'm definitely loving it so far. I'm sure the 2 step is nice, but I don't trust air, let alone version 1.0 of something as complicated as a travel adjust. The U-turn has been around since the Psylo and has a pretty good record.

I rode a 2006 Talas 36 on an Ellsworth demo bike and was NOT impressed. However, one of my riding buddies rode the same fork/bike, hated it, but bought a 2007 and loves it. I also rode a 2006 66 SL (I know, not on your list) on the Knolly prototype and thought it was really nice. Still, the EASY travel adjust, lock out, the Maxle, and the 1.5" steerer make me happy about choosing the Lyrik.

Time is not a road.
    I found the 2-step to have excellent small bump sensitivity. I did feel that the jump from 160 to 115mm was a bit extreme for climbing, but it helped like ETA might and was effective. I have not tried the coil versions of the Fox or Lyrik.

Propr
    I'm running the Lyrik, but it's the solo-air. I think with all the settings it will perform well once I get it dialed in.

Do you guys have any suggestions for high-speed and low-speed compression settings? Mainly for hardpack with jumps, rocks, tech-dh...nothing over 4 or 5 foot drops.

I'm just new to all these adjustments and am not really sure...so just some starting points for HS and LS would be cool. Going ridding tomorrow so I should have some better feed back on my Lyrik.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball
    Do you guys have any suggestions for high-speed and low-speed compression settings? Mainly for hardpack with jumps, rocks, tech-dh...nothing over 4 or 5 foot drops.
    First, open the floodgate all the way (counterclockwise).

Start with fully open LSC or two clicks in and maybe set the HSC in the middle and go from there.

mtbr member
    The 36 Vanilla is sooooo much better than the Talas. I demo'ed a Talas, and own a Vanilla. I'm very happy with it. I can't offer much help on the Lyrics though....

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    The 36 Vanilla is sooooo much better than the Talas. I demo'ed a Talas, and own a Vanilla. I'm very happy with it. I can't offer much help on the Lyrics though....
    Having riden a 36Van for a year before switching to a Lyric; I can say that the Lyric's damping is sooooo much better than the 36. BTW, I've owned 2 TALAS 36s and one Van.

Team Fearless Descender
    Scubapro -

Looking for input on the Lyric, and you seem to have some hands on time with (at least the coil(?) unit).

I'm just now starting to spec out the build on a new machine (Ventana T-Moto - 6" AM ride), and am considering the Lyric 2-step or Solo Air.

What are your (or anyone else) feelings on these. I'm seeing some posts about problems w/ the 2 - Step. "Stuck Down" issues mostly. However, I'm also hearing good things, ride performance wise about the Lyrik overall.

Any comments are most appreciated.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Motion activated
    My thoughts on the Lyric Coil U-Turn.

Lyrik Coil U-turn Impressions
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Amphibious Technologies
    I have the 2-step version. I can say the damping is really really good. Best I've ridden thus far.

I've haven't heard of issues with the coil so I would go for the coil version for reliability and better small bump performance.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Scubapro -

Looking for input on the Lyric, and you seem to have some hands on time with (at least the coil(?) unit).

I'm just now starting to spec out the build on a new machine (Ventana T-Moto - 6" AM ride), and am considering the Lyric 2-step or Solo Air.

What are your (or anyone else) feelings on these. I'm seeing some posts about problems w/ the 2 - Step. "Stuck Down" issues mostly. However, I'm also hearing good things, ride performance wise about the Lyrik overall.

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Scubapro -

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I ended up trying these settings as one stated:

~80 PSI;
    LSC 1 click in;
    HSC 4 click in;
    Floodgate fully open.

Seemed to work really well. Can't remember where my rebound was set. Fork tracked well, never bottomed out with max 3 to 4 foot drops, and a couple of small gap jumps. Riding the Tunnel Trail (shuttle) in Auburn, CA. Short climb to start out and then pretty much tech-DH 80% on the way down. Rocks, ruts, and uneven single and dual-track, both hard and soft dirt. Used the Floodgate feature on the small climb and that really helped me. I didn't used it on the way down so I guess the HSC/LSC doesn't really come into play (just rebound).

I'm still new to all these settings but they sure are nice. Last fork I had was Dirt Jumper...huge difference! I didn't really think about getting the two-step version but I was looking at the U-turn pretty hard and decided on the Solo-Air just to save a little weight.

Very happy so far and I'm sure I'll have more adjustmests to make. The fork was very responsive. Soaked up the small bumps and didn't jar your hands off the bars. I tested a Fox 36 Van in Downieville and was not impressed. But I don't know that it was totally set up the way I needed it. I spoke was Kirt Voreis at a Santa Cruz demo day and he was ridding the U-turn. He had nothing but good things to say about the Lyrik and that was my deciding vote on which fork to get.