mtbr member
    Jan 2010

RP3 or RPL.... your suggestions?

what suspension would you run for your XC rig? i have a 2007ish RP3 and RPL for my yeti 575.
    open for suggestions.

EDR
    I am a longtime 575 rider/owner...so I have some input to be shared but i am not sure what the RPL is. R=rebound, P=Pro Pedal, L=lockout but I'm not aware of a fox shock that comes with PP and lockout. The old RL had both rebound settings and a lockout.

mtbr member
    Fox makes an RPL.

Why just those? Theres lots of good shocks out there, most better than a float.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Fox makes an RPL.

Why just those? Theres lots of good shocks out there, most better than a float.
    Well he said those are the two shocks he owns so that's my guess as to his options.

Anyway OP: I'm not sure what the RPL offers as far as PP options go. But I will say that the 575 is best served with a shock that does indeed have PP settings, preferably several. My old '05 575 had a RP3 and it worked out great. I could flip a switch and turn PP off or flip the switch and be in 1 of 3 PP settings...IIRC. For 90% of my riding on that shock with that bike I had PP set at #2. It was enough damping to tackle the climbs and not squat/bob too much and was good for most of the riding. For the chunky d/h or fast stutter bumps I would flip the PP 'off' and it was compliant with all the chatter or drops and baby head rocks. My next 575 (08) came with a RP23 and honestly I preferred the RP3 over that....so much so that I sent the RP23 into PUSH. My next 575 (yes, another) is a '12 model. It came with the Kashima coated RP..whatever. I rode it for a week or two and sold the brand new shock and installed my old '08 PUSHed RP23....it was just a better shock by far, but that's b/c it was custom tuned for my weight and the bikes suspension characteristics. Once PUSH gets a hold of your Float it's not really a Float anymore.

mtbr member
    PUSH completely guts the shock and returns you a new product. Its not so much that its tuned for you, its really that they give you a brand new damper thats functionally nothing like the fox shock you sent in. PUSH is a good option. I would use neither of those shocks as-is, but a pushed version of either one would be a good call.

EDR
    His question was, of the two options which would be the better choice. i still can't give a good answer b/c I don't quite know what a Float RPL is. Maybe you can help with that. Your answer of "neither" doesn't help the OP with his current options.

mtbr member
    If someone asks what kind of hammer should they smash their fingers with, I cant help but recommend not smashing your fingers with a hammer Might not be one of the asked options, but its a good option.

FLOAT RPL

Thats a fox RPL. None of the floats are significantly different really, the R cant have PP turned off though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My choice would be the RPL. Isn't the RPL a newer shock ? I had a 2006 RP3 and it did OK on my Blur LT. Went to an RP23 and could feel the "open position" vs. the RP3's 3 Propedal's, no off.

EDR

Re: RP3 or RPL.... your suggestions?

[

Oop

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thanks for all the input. after double checking the shocks that i have, the RPL is a 2005 and the RP3 is a 2007. right now i'm leaning towards getting the RP3 'pushed'. i will be able to run the RPL while i wait for it. anyone see any downside to this plan?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deli152 View Post
    thanks for all the input. after double checking the shocks that i have, the RPL is a 2005 and the RP3 is a 2007. right now i'm leaning towards getting the RP3 'pushed'. i will be able to run the RPL while i wait for it. anyone see any downside to this plan?
    Are you sure you have an RPL ? As far as I can remember Floats of that Vintage were either R, RL or RP3's. Later came the RP23's and even later the RPL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Are you sure you have an RPL ? As far as I can remember Floats of that Vintage were either R, RL or RP3's. Later came the RP23's and even later the RPL.

i as far i know, the RPL came off a 2005 Trek project one bike. i could be mistaken on the year though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i as far i know, the RPL came off a 2005 Trek project one bike. i could be mistaken on the year though.
    "Project one" what model ?

EDR
    It may have come off a 2005 bike but I agree with Keen, the RPL is from around '09 or above I think..maybe a tad earlier, idk.

Here's what I would do. Ride the RPL and see how you like it. Not for a ride or two but for a month. Then try the RP3 for a while. Compare the two at that point and if you have any issues with them like midstroke wallow (typical of a Float on a 575 set up at proper sag) then CALL Darren at PUSH and talk to him. He will give an honest opinion as to which shock would be the best to have custom tuned.

Now, if you have the lockout on the RPL you could use that when climbing but I wouldn't really advice that as a way to go when climbing bumpy/rocky/rooty trails, you want the suspension working for you in those cases. I personally can't really see any real purpose for a lockout on a FS bike with the one exception of climbing steep buff trails for hours at a time, or maybe for sprinting out of the saddle in a race scenario. But I don't think you are racing this bike.

MarkyMark
    RPL.

I selected the RPL over the RP23 on my Mojo SL. I tried the RP23 on an Intense Tracer demo at Oakridge, OR. I was bobbing like a mofo and got dropped on a fireroad climb (Alpine Mtn, Cloverpatch) with the A group. Switching between the 1-2-3 positions didn't do anything.

I figured I needed about 300 lbs of pressure (I weight 170 lbs) when climbing with the RP23 and then lower it for the descents (excellent performance and I was near the front/passing people on the downs all day, BTW).

RP23 is great when you get shuttling, don't care about climbing, or opt to push your bike up the hill.

what suspension would you run for your XC rig? i have a 2007ish RP3 and RPL for my yeti 575.
    open for suggestions.

EDR

Re: RP3 or RPL.... your suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    RPL.

I selected the RPL over the RP23 on my Mojo SL. I tried the RP23 on an Intense Tracer demo at Oakridge, OR. I was bobbing like a mofo and got dropped on a fireroad climb (Alpine Mtn, Cloverpatch) with the A group. Switching between the 1-2-3 positions didn't do anything.

I figured I needed about 300 lbs of pressure (I weight 170 lbs) when climbing with the RP23 and then lower it for the descents (excellent performance and I was near the front/passing people on the downs all day, BTW).

RP23 is great when you get shuttling, don't care about climbing, or opt to push your bike up the hill.
    I think your experience with the float RP 23 is far from the norm. There must be something wrong with that shock or something. They're both Fox Float shocks after all. I bet that I could use the RPL or an RP 23 and not be able to tell the difference. They simply have different features but the same damper.

300psi is rediculous unless you weigh 300 pounds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=eatdrinkride;10189270]I think your experience with the float RP 23 is far from the norm. There must be something wrong with that shock or something. They're both Fox Float shocks after all. I bet that I could use the RPL or an RP 23 and not be able to tell the difference. They simply have different features but the same damper.

300psi is rediculous unless you weigh 300 pounds.

What he is saying is the level / tune of Propedal dampning is different between the RPL & RP23. My first 2008 RP23 had a quite noticeable PP especially in PP3 - felt pretty close to a lockout. My buddy had a 2011 BV RP23 and it was almost impossible to feel open vs. PP3. I told him his shock must have a problem. Well almost a year later I picked up an RP23 that felt very similar and was suggested to try an RPL if I wanted a more substantial Propedal / lockout.