mtbr member
    May 2008

rp23 Boost Valve - 100 hour suspension fluid service

Hi,

1) Do I have to send the shock into Fox to have the 100 hour suspension fluid service done? I'm at 140 hours(4 months) right now. Aren't LBS's authorized to do that service?

2) How much does Fox charge?

3) Turn around time?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nothing on the fox site for a 100hr service.
    Air can service is standard evry 40hrs max and this can be done DIY just need the seal kit. Video: :::: MOJO SUSPENSION ::::

At 200hrs its a full fluid service which include a nitrogen recharge this can be done DIY but to do it properly requires special kit and should be left to the experts.
    In the UK Mojo do this for around 90 and this includes a custom tune.
    :::: MOJO SUSPENSION ::::

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Nothing on the fox site for a 100hr service.
    That doesn't surprise me. The Fox service website isn't updated for newer models. The Fox manual that came with my frame lists the 100 hour suspension fluid service for shocks. It says the service must be performed by Fox or an authorized service center per the warrantee, but the Fox website doesn't list any authorized service centers in the US.

The seal kit is a 30 hr service in my manual, and the seal kits are not $6, as mentioned in the very good Fox how to video:

Float RP23 Rebuild - YouTube

The seal kits are around $15, which is getting too expensive for me to do every two weeks. And I'm certainly not going to pay over $100 to service a $350 shock three to four times a year.
    Last edited by happyriding; 01-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    As youve probabley guessed all manuals are for guidence only and they get frequently revised.
    Firstly I'd drop an email to Fox asking for confirmation of the Service Intervals and what is required.
    Secondly Id also ask them who there authorized providers are in your area.

If you check the video youll see it was uploaded in 2009. Prices will have changed since then and the vid is to show you what/how to do its not a definative guide to what it will cost.

The seal service doesnt need to change the seals if they are not worn, but it is designed to be a preventative way of preserving the overall integrity of the shock. Im guessing its difficult to prove if seals have been changed anyway.

If you check the US fox site you warranty is only 12 months anyway.

If your doing a lot of hours (dependant on conditions) Id be tempted maintain as follows:
    1-2 months clean seals and re-oil
    Quarterly Seal replacement (sooner if loosing pressure)
    Annual full service

Down side of owning a shock is that you need to service it to keep it working.
    Weigh up the cost of maintenance vs the cost of replacing and decide if you even want to maintain.
    Alternatively dump the suspension

mtbr member
    You are riding 35 a month?

If you are not riding in harsh conditions but you are actually clocking in 35 hours a month I would keep a seal kit handy and replace once every 6 months or when needed(losing air, stuck down).

I am not sure about a interval for the damper oil. I would also look into a timeline for changing shims due to shim fatigue. Maybe shoot Push a email?

mtbr member
    happyriding....if you need information on a shop that performs the anual or 100 hr service pm me. I just had mine done. It was 50.00 labor plus seals and I got it back in two days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Been riding 2 yrs on most of my shocks. How many hours is that and have never needed to do air sleeve seals. 40 Hrs is way OTT for seals. Need to keep an eye on lube in the sleeves though. Theirs only a lick of grease and or oil in there.I check mine every couple of months and they're usually ok. I'm definately due for a full break down service though but I haven't noticed any drop off in performance. DU bushings wiil make as much or more difference.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Anyone replacing the seals on the air can every 30 hours is hilarious. What a waste of time and money. I think once a year is excessive. Keep them lubed and replace them if they're leaking.... otherwise just ride your bike.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    Anyone replacing the seals on the air can every 30 hours is hilarious. What a waste of time and money. I think once a year is excessive. Keep them lubed and replace them if they're leaking.... otherwise just ride your bike.
    Agreed to a point; until you blow a seal 10 miles down a trail. I suppose it could happen 1 minute or 100 hours into a set of air seals, especially for the heavier riders (myself included) but I'd think maintaining them would reduce this problem. For one you're looking at the seal, adding the appropriate grease, cleaning out dirt/dust, etc..

That said, just getting a new bike after 17 years, shocks have gotten a hell of a lot more complicated and I don't look forward to the new maintenance on mine...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    agree, my 2007 titus has 3000 miles over 4.5 years with one seal replacement and once I have added oil .
    no leaks -working perfectly .

disclaimer :

I'm 183 lbs , riding XC only ,95% on dry condition , no jumps.most of the my riding time it is locked on pro- pedal .