mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Rockshox XC32 Solo Air vs Suntour Raidon

hey guys im thinking upgrading my forks to an entry level air fork (I have a Scott Aspect 940). I would get the Suntour through the upgrade program and the Rockshox on ebay (w/ poploc). Which shock would perform better and or last longer and are the both filled using a standard schader valve? The RC is a little heavier and costs a little more. Im looking to stay as close $200 as Possible and looking upgrade soon so any advice would help.

Thanks in advance.
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Does this seem too good to be true?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...298079&alt=web
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

mtbr member
    Save for a little longer. It will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hmm okay. Is that link I posted something I'd be better off with?
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I also have to factor in the cost of installation.
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbascrub93 View Post
    Does this seem too good to be true?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...298079&alt=web
    What makes that too good to be true?

Did you see this fork?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manitou-Towe...21fdb#shpCntId
    * It can be adjusted to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba;11165 what maks that too good to be true?

Did you see this fork?
    [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manitou-Tower-Expert-Suspension-Fork-XC-MTB-29-Black-80mm-9mm-QR-1-1-8-NEW-LTD-/141267443675?pt=US_Forks&hash=item20e4321fdb#shpCntId
    Manitou Tower Expert Suspension Fork XC MTB 29" Black 80mm 9mm QR 1 1 8" New | eBay[/url]
    I see alot of the golds in the 300s that's why but I have heard alot of good things about the manitou how can it be set too 100?
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    how can it be set too 100?
    By swapping a 20mm spacer around that's inside the fork.

Travel change is explained in the following manual.

http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Ser...e%20Manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Seems simple enough. Thanks. What makes this fork superior?
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Seems simple enough. Thanks. What makes this fork superior?
    Better damper

Suntour forks + the Rockshox XC & 30 Gold models have non replaceable bushings in the lower leg assembly, when the non replaceable bushings wear you will need to buy a whole new lower leg assembly for the fork.

A new lower leg assembly will cost a lot more then what some replaceable bushings will cost.

* If you were to buy the Tower Expert you might need to upgrade the spring in it, this will depend on how much you weigh and what spring is in the fork.
    Last edited by cobba; 04-29-2014 at 12:22 AM.

mtbr member
    so what did the OP end up getting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    so what did the OP end up getting?
    I ended up getting the XC32 Solo Air it's great for the price I counldnt be happier
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the XC32 Solo Air it's great for the price I counldnt be happier
    any particular reason why this over the raidon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If I remember correct I think the suntour can only handle around 160-180 psi but I can't remember also the availability of the XC32 solo air was greater so it made finding deal a bit easier. The shock has performed flawlessly compared to the Suntour XCM my Scott came with.
    2014 Scott Aspect 940

mbtr member
    the suntour can only handle around 160-180 psi
    That doesn't matter. The volume of the air spring is not necessarily the same in every fork; 160psi could (and probably does) feel absurdly stiff. This is a fairly worthless thing to compare across forks. How much air you need can vary radically from fork to fork, depending on how the air spring is designed.

Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Suntour forks + the Rockshox XC & 30 Gold models have non replaceable bushings in the lower leg assembly, when the non replaceable bushings wear you will need to buy a whole new lower leg assembly for the fork.
    Whatever. On an entry level fork the bushings are probably shot because the fork has been run for a while with no bath oil and the stanchions are cooked too.

Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Did you see this fork?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manitou-Towe...21fdb#shpCntId
    This is the only desirable fork in this thread. It has a real shim based compression (and rebound!) valving. This fork will move a little bit for little bumps, and really get out of the way in a big impact, and then tries to get the wheel tracking asap. A good fork transforms an entry-level mtb used offroad.

The orifice damped suntour and RS forks discussed here want to always move through their travel at the same speed- too fast and divey under braking or pedaling, or too slow and spikey rolling over bumps. Granted, they should last a long time with maintenance, perform consistently, and ride a lot better than the XCM... they're just missing what makes a good fork so rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho
    Save for a little longer. It will be worth it.
    yep. It's hard to believe until you've used both the good stuff and the budget version with the nice chassis though.

I don't mean to be dismissive of your new fork in your thread bubba, and i apologize. It IS a good fork, and down the road i'm pretty confident you can fit a motion control cartridge from the recon (and maybe the reba) and enjoy a more-supple ride. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    scottzg-
    How close is a recon gold and/or silver with a moco to the Manitou?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mbtr member
    I have not ridden that specific manitou, but it clobbers the recons on specs- shimmed rebound and a pretty sophisticated velocity/position sensitive compression damper. I'd expect that with a bit of tinkering it'd be hard to make any similar fork feel substantially better than that tower. I have/had 2 manitous with the same/similar guts and they are excellent forks.

The recons are relatively primitive- the floodgate is set at a pretty firm setting; good for lockout, bad for long descents, and have a simple rebound valve that likes to be set faster than i'd prefer. It's my impression, having owned both (sorta), that the steel stanchion version is a little more plush. Still a very good fork; 80% of the experience of the best stuff for 1/3rd the price, and a lot of riders wouldn't notice the difference. YMMV, this is why i never write reviews

Zarr, i'm sorry if i'm mistaken, but i remember reading you were a pretty big dude; bigger than me. I wouldn't really consider either of these forks for anything beyond beginner/intermediate xc trails at my 230lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    scott-
    I'm not as heavy now...I'm about 240.
    I haven't ben able to ride for a while due to illness. I have a couple of Recon Silver 29s and a 26er. I have a Recon Gold 29r also. After reading up on the Mani- towers, I gotta get a Manitou. I got a moco for the gold and one Silver. It sounds like the Mani-tower is better than a moco Recon though. I just wonder how much better.
    To the OP- from what I've heard, try to take the advice and call Sram/Rock Shox and find out if a motion control will fit your XC32. I hear what everybody says about turnkey vs. motion control damping...how moco transforms the forks. Now that you know about mtbr.com, stay here and take it all in...and be patient.Sometimes you gotta save up to get the good stuff. Take care.
    -Z
    Ask around the forums about the XC fork and moco too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld