mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Rockshox XC30 vs XC32 coil springs

Is there a big enough difference between the XC 30 and XC 32 to warrant carrying about (both coil spring)? I know the 32 is a bit thicker but they appear to be made the same in all other respects. I want to get a bike that is worthy of upgrading when things wear out so I am leaning toward the Trek 2015 Xcaliber 7 which has the XC30 over the 2014 Xcaliber 8 which has the XC32. All other things being close to equal to my limited knowledge (Shimano shifters on the 2015 X7 is preferred for me as it's what I am used to and like). Just wondering if this shock difference is worth any worries, concerns? I know they are both lower end Rockshox but they are probably better than what I am used to. A guy at one of the LBS said they XC32 is better but is it so much better that I should reconsider? Thanks for putting up with all my noob questions. Chances are, whatever I get will be with me for a long time as my next bike will be a very big purchase on my salary/budget.

Also wondering with all this talk on the Trek website about "custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset", does that mean if you replace the shock in the future, you need to get a special replacement only made for Trek Geometry? Figured this would be the right place to ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    From what I have read so far on this forum, getting a fork with 51mm offset seems to be about the frame geometry and keeping the stearing tight for this set up. Seems like a good idea to stay with that 51mm from what I can tell. Still wondering if there is a big enough difference between the coil spring Rockshox XC 30 or XC 32 to warrant any concern. Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I read that the xc30 is slightly more refined in its dampening, not really sure how that is possible but basically the only difference you would be getting would be with the 30mm stanctons on the xc30 and the 32mm stanctons on the xc32. Though, the x-cal 7 and x-cal 8 have a pretty big difference as far as drive train components go.

I bought a 29er this year and ended up going with a norco charger 9.3, it came with a xc30, prior to buying the bike though i did take out my friends mamba, which essentially would be a x-cal bike and the xc32 rode very nice, one big difference is that his bike came spec'd with the right spring for his weight. I am still in the midst of changing mine out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a good hardtail 29er that I can use without having to upgrade right away. The 2015 xcal 7 seems to have a drivetrain and breaks I can use till they need replacing. The fork is what I know least about. It will probably be an upgrade from my suntour XRC 011 on my 26" access raptor 2.0. If I can live with it than as I learn more and replace it down the line with a better fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Sorry XCR fork on my 26"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The XC30 vs. XC32 is pretty much a wash. I wouldn't let the difference between those forks be the deciding factor. I've got the XC32, and it's OK, but once I got a Recon Silver, I can feel a lot of the entry level qualities from the XC32 come out. Even worse if you're big, because an understrength coil just doesn't feel as good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I'm 175 lbs