Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTAggressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24

    RockShox XC Series Fork?

    Anyone have any knowledge of the new entry level RockShox XC series? They have XC 28, 30, and 32. I'm in the market for a fork in this range and I'm trying to find some reviews on this series fork and I'm coming up empty.
    Last edited by GTAggressor; 05-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,353
    They are the same as the Dart series.....just re-named. Check out reviews on the Dart.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTAggressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Aren't the 30 and 32 a step above the Dart?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,353
    Those are just increased stanchion diameters. Internals are the same I believe, but yes.....a larger stanchion will provide superior stiffness to to original 28mm Dart.

  5. #5
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Basically the XC28 TK replaces the Dart 3 while the XC32 TK replaces the Tora TK from last year. The XC30 is simply a in between stanchion size. All use straitwall STKM steel stanchions and Magnesium lowers.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTAggressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Basically the XC28 TK replaces the Dart 3 while the XC32 TK replaces the Tora TK from last year. The XC30 is simply a in between stanchion size. All use straitwall STKM steel stanchions and Magnesium lowers.
    So in theory the 32 would be a respectable fork? Or would it still suck like a dart 3? Is this still well below a Recon Silver Coil?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTAggressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by MoUTrO View Post
    I recently picked up a 11' GT Karakoram 3.0 and i'm replacing the Suntour XCT fork with an XC 32 TK. It looks a lot more beefier then the Suntour that came with the bike. I've seen bikes well over the 1k price range come with this fork.Can't wait to try it out.
    Awesome I'd like to get your feedback on it when you get it. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the XC32 or Recon Silver. Maybe I'll wait to see how you like yours before I make a decision

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    I recently picked up a 11' GT Karakoram 3.0 and i'm replacing the Suntour XCT fork with an XC 32 TK. It looks a lot more beefier then the Suntour that came with the bike. I've seen bikes well over the 1k price range come with this fork.Can't wait to try it out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAggressor View Post
    Awesome I'd like to get your feedback on it when you get it. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the XC32 or Recon Silver. Maybe I'll wait to see how you like yours before I make a decision
    You got it, i'll let you know. I'm confused over the versions of the Recon. Is there a coil only version AND a Solo Air? I'm still new to this and this is my first mtb in a very long time.

    I think the Recon Solo Air would be a good upgrade over the XC 32. I wanted to do some other upgrades to my GT so i went with the XC 32, at least until next summer and if i get serious about the hobby, then i will upgrade to a Reba. Just wanted something decent to start with that can take a little more abuse.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTAggressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by MoUTrO View Post
    You got it, i'll let you know. I'm confused over the versions of the Recon. Is there a coil only version AND a Solo Air? I'm still new to this and this is my first mtb in a very long time.

    I think the Recon Solo Air would be a good upgrade over the XC 32. I wanted to do some other upgrades to my GT so i went with the XC 32, at least until next summer and if i get serious about the hobby, then i will upgrade to a Reba. Just wanted something decent to start with that can take a little more abuse.
    Yeah I'm rather new to this myself. I used to rise BMX a while back, but recently got back into biking and went the Mountain / Trail route.

    From what I understand they have a solo air and a coil version - two different versions.

    I don't need anything crazy right now either. Just something to keep me going until I get a little more serious about it and I'm ready to dump some real money into it. My current fork is just preventing me from really enjoying some of the stuff I want to do.

  11. #11
    old school
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    xc 28's

    Quote Originally Posted by GTAggressor View Post
    Yeah I'm rather new to this myself. I used to rise BMX a while back, but recently got back into biking and went the Mountain / Trail route.

    From what I understand they have a solo air and a coil version - two different versions.

    I don't need anything crazy right now either. Just something to keep me going until I get a little more serious about it and I'm ready to dump some real money into it. My current fork is just preventing me from really enjoying some of the stuff I want to do.
    Sorry to intrude into this conversation. I own an old Schwinn S-30. I used to ride it on dirt roads. One day I tried a trail and liked it. Not long afterwards the RST,191's on board locked up. I bought a set of Rock Shox xc 28's to replace them. and a disc brake. I also noticed that my front wheel was warped. The Schwinn's were not up to the task. I replaced them with a Rhyno wheel. Its still a bit heavy and old. It still has the twist shift 21 speed. But the shocks made a huge difference.It feels much more sturdy and takes a lot more punishment.Has more travel up front and a stiffer feel.That said I am an old guy. I dont bomb hills. However some of my riding is demanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •