Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion

I looked at the parts diagram and it looked like a drop in replacement. I purchased the RockShox XC32 Spring Internals Left 26/29 120 Solo Air replacement part, but have encountered an issue with the install.

When I install the Solo Air it doesn't fully seat so I can't engage the threads on the top cap. The top cap looks to be about .5-1" above where it needs to be. Looking at the bottom of the upper tube there looks to be a part that the spring rests on. However I'm not seeing this part on the diagram or rebuild instructions. Any advice on how to remove it? It looks like I need to pull the lowers. I'm hoping it is not a permanent part on the upper tube that can't be removed.

RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0865.jpg
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0872.jpg
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0867.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't know about the part, but I would make sure that the spring didn't scratch, gouge, or wear the inside of the stanchions. Any blemish can cause the seal to leak or tear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw686 View Post
    I looked at the parts diagram and it looked like a drop in replacement. I purchased the RockShox XC32 Spring Internals Left 26/29 120 Solo Air replacement part, but have encountered an issue with the install.

When I install the Solo Air it doesn't fully seat so I can't engage the threads on the top cap. The top cap looks to be about .5-1" above where it needs to be. Looking at the bottom of the upper tube there looks to be a part that the spring rests on. However I'm not seeing this part on the diagram or rebuild instructions. Any advice on how to remove it? It looks like I need to pull the lowers. I'm hoping it is not a permanent part on the upper tube that can't be removed.
    You will probably have to pull the lowers. I have no experience with this fork but there should be a cap on the end of the stanchion... FYI, you will probably need oil and new crush washers.

It looks like you should be OK with any scratches, etc as it appears the air spring is its own unit (probably not the lightest way to make it).
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Scratches shouldn't be an issue since the Solo Air is a separate sealed tube. The bike only has 30 miles on it and I was originally planning to swap to a stiffer spring. When I started looking for springs the Solo Air was only $30 more so I figured it was worth a try. I like the idea of dialing in the sag with air pressure vs picking the rate spring rate. The spring preload adjuster doesn't seem to do much either.

I just purchased Pitstop 15wt oil and a syringe, which should arrive tomorrow. I'll pull the lowers then and see if I can pull that part out. It seals the shaft coming out of the upper tube so it has to have a seal and should be removable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So far it is a success! You have to remove the plastic retaining ring from the plastic spring seat. Once that is done it falls out and the Solo Air fits perfectly. I pressurized it to 100 psi and will check tomorrow to make sure it holds.

I haven't tightened the lowers as I'm waiting on the oil. Hardly any oil came out and you can see oil on the inside of the lowers. The manual calls for 6ml per leg, but I'm wondering it I should only put in 3ml as there is some left. Or is it no big deal to have too much oil?

Coil spring setup
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0873.jpg

Retaining ring and spring seat removed
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0877.jpg

Solo Air installed
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0875.jpg

Solo Air top cap tightened
    RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion-img_0880.jpg

Class Clown
    just clean off the old oil and add new stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any luck with this? Where did you get the parts to get an air spring? How much was it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Solo Air has been performing great! I got mine off eBay for $69, but I've seen them on Amazon and other sites. Search for "RockShox XC32 Spring Internals Left 26/29 120" or similar depending on your model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have an rock shox tora coil 100mm 2012-2011 not sure, so you think this upgrade can fit in a tora?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi,

Just came across this link. I'm thinking of doing g the same. Did that part come with everything you need for the conversion?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I forgot all about this thread. After talking about it with the guys at my LBS, I actually got a whole new bike. For me the minimal weight drop wasn't really worth the 60 dollars or whatever it was for the part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    I forgot all about this thread. After talking about it with the guys at my LBS, I actually got a whole new bike. For me the minimal weight drop wasn't really worth the 60 dollars or whatever it was for the part.
    I don't believe there really is any weight savings for doing this mod... It's more for the adjustability of the air spring.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've just come across it and am thinking about doing the same, as my 2013 Mamba came with an X Firm spring, and I need an Extra Soft/Soft spring, but am tempted by the adjustability of the Solo Air.

I have basic bike mechanical skills (I've serviced headsets/hubs etc), but should have all the tools to do this - do you think it would be easy enough for me to attempt to do myself, or do you think it would be best left to the LBS?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm interested in this conversion as well. My bike came stock with the 100mm travel, medium spring. Can I convert it to 120mm air? Or are there differences in the stanchions/lowers between the 100/120mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is promising. Sram tells the LBS it can't be done but you have obviously done it. Thanks for posting this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmilin View Post
    This is promising. Sram tells the LBS it can't be done but you have obviously done it. Thanks for posting this!
    I've been told the same Zmilin.

I spoke to my LBS, and also emailed my local official SRAM dealer.

The SRAM dealer said they can source and fit the parts, however the Solo Air replacement part is unavailable to order from SRAM at the moment, and there's no ETA on when they will be restocked.

My LBS (whom I'd rather carry out the work) spoke to SRAM support and they were also told that it's not possible to convert the fork into a Solo Air. I'm going in to speak with them later today to see what my options are (spring wise or a better fork), so I'll see if they gave any reasoning, as it seems from this thread it is possible. I'm guessing SRAM want you to just buy a new fork from them, but when I have a G2 offset crown, aftermarket forks are much more expensive I've been told.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just back from the LBS. Apparantly SRAM don't recommend doing an air conversion as the inside of the leg may be scratched and therefore prevent the air from sealing properly, despite the fact it appears to be in a tube of its own. If this is the case, I'm assuming the OP was successful as their fork was reasonably new.

Taking my bike in tomorrow for them to see if they have any spare/take-off springs that will fit the fork for me to try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    OP, was you fork originally a 100mm? I've got an XC32TK 29 that is OEM 100mm. I'd like to convert it to 120mm air if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phred119 View Post
    OP, was you fork originally a 100mm? I've got an XC32TK 29 that is OEM 100mm. I'd like to convert it to 120mm air if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I am in the exact same boat with the exact same fork (mine on a Kona Hei Hei). I never even thought about replacing the guts, was looking at a new fork but $350+ made me rethink that idea.

So interested in any info about this...

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    BTW phred119, it looks like there is only one length of upper tubes for these forks, at least that's what I gleaned from the part list at: (mine is a 2012 version)

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/QX..._spc_rev_c.pdf

I see several versions listed with different steerer lengths but none that list different (not sure of the official term) tube lengths. So my guess is the parts are the same just the spring (or in this case the air cylinder) is longer for the 120mm versus the 100mm.

In either case I just ordered the 120mm internals ($63 off ebay/Amazon, same seller and free shipping both places)...so we'll see how it goes. Can't believe the luck of stumbling onto this thread after I was pissed to find out my new-to-me bike had a coil shock, I didn't know any bike had those since the dark ages...

-Mark
    Last edited by mabrodis; 05-09-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Stuff

N79
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Any update on whether you were successful converting to 120mm air? I've got a trek xcal 8 Id be thrilled to upgrade to 120 air

mtbr member
    I replaced mine with a good Fork after it exploded on the trail making me crash.

mtbr member
    The top cap is what came open and allowing the spring and such to eject out of the fork while in mid air jump. Landing was bad.
    That crummy top cap is omg.

N79
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    The top cap is what came open and allowing the spring and such to eject out of the fork while in mid air jump. Landing was bad.
    That crummy top cap is omg.
    So you did the conversion and your fork failed? No rockshox warranty?

mtbr member
    I was considering doing the conversion but it exploded to soon. I realized what a low end shock it was and got a proper shock. That thing sells for so little that is a obvious sign its crap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast