Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012

Rockshox XC 32 29er Solo Air?

I was just kicking around on the Sram site and it lists Solo Air as one of the options for the XC 32, I can't find anymore information about it or the parts though. I have an XC 32 on my bike(until my Manitou arrives). I actually don't even know what solo air is as I am a total noob, is there any possibility that this would make my forks useable for me as a 265 lb rider?

XC 32 Solo Air

I cross posted this in the 29ers components room, but no responses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd love some info on this as well. I'm just getting back into MTBing after a ~10yr hiatus and bought a Trek Mamba w/ an XC 32 TK fork. SRAM doesn't list much about it and has zero instructions on adjustment, the website even says rebound adjustment, but I am unsure if that is on my model.

Any advice appreciated.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    The rebound should be on the bottom of the right fork.
    It took a couple of weeks for my LBS to get information about a spring kit(none in stock). I'm afraid they might charge me to find out anything about a solo air kit. I'm probably going to go with a Manitou Tower Pro, they seem to be very responsive to customers needs. I take it as a bad sign that Sram doesn't even bother to put out any information on it.I'm getting the impression that putting any money/work into this fork would be like trying to polish a turd. Even if they made a spring for my weight, the damping mechanism doesn't sound like it's very sophisticated.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I did find a video with a basic explanation of the solo air concept:
    solo air

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebumper View Post
    It took a couple of weeks for my LBS to get information about a spring kit(none in stock). I'm afraid they might charge me to find out anything about a solo air kit. I'm probably going to go with a Manitou Tower Pro, they seem to be very responsive to customers needs. I take it as a bad sign that Sram doesn't even bother to put out any information on it.I'm getting the impression that putting any money/work into this fork would be like trying to polish a turd. Even if they made a spring for my weight, the damping mechanism doesn't sound like it's very sophisticated.

The XC32 is an entry level fork, and they aren't expecting people to spend much time tuning it. That's why they don't put much info out - well that, and there isn't a lot of tuning you can do anyway. You are absolutely right: TK is not a sophisticated damper by a long shot.

Solo air is an air positive spring with a self-adjusting air negative spring. If it's better for your weight depends on who you ask. The main advantage for a heavier rider is ease and range of adjustment, without replacing anything. If you could find a suitable coil, that would probably give a better ride, but at 100mm travel I'm not sure it matters.
    The problem with converting a coil RS fork to air is the inside of the stanchions can get scratched by the coil, which makes it hard to form a pressure seal that's needed for the air spring. It might work, it might not, depends on how much you've ridden it with the coil.

The tower pro is a much better fork. Only reason not to go with that is money.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I just found this solo air kit, it has the part # specified in the SRAM 2013 Spare Parts Catalog for the XC 32 TK.
    RockShox XC32 Spring Internals Left 26/29 100 Solo Air @ eBikeStop.com
    I would assume that I would still need the XFirm spring(I'm 265#), which is another $50. I have also been reading that the damper may be upgradeable to a motion control damper for another $50.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks man, I found it. Question: should I remove that "key" that is used to adjust it when riding? It looks like it could drop out if you land hard enough, but I'm also not sure if it keeps all the mud/crap from getting in there

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    No, that is there to make it easy to change the setting.

mtbr member
    Ok, let me get this straight, if I have the xc/32 29 fork from my stock 2012 trek Mamba, I could basically change the whole internals of my shox???? I can make mine a air shock??? Has anybody done this successfully??? Thanks!

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    It looks like Scott was successful, they come as solo air on a few of their bikes.

mtbr member
    Would love to see this!

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I picked up a Manitou Tower Pro. It doesn't make much sense for me to try and set this fork up for my weight when the fork is heavy and made to be disposable(not fully rebuildable).

mtbr member
    Was looking to purchase this possible upgrade. Every online store seems to be out of stock. I have been researching and trolling looking at buying the x-firm spring but that has become equally as tough to purchase. So my next question since I am headed for a divorce if I buy one more thing for my bike, what would be a good upgrade shox that won't break the bank??? The heavy duty spring is what I like to do, although the thought of an air spring upgrade sounds better. Any advise??? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmmagoo4 View Post
    Was looking to purchase this possible upgrade. Every online store seems to be out of stock. I have been researching and trolling looking at buying the x-firm spring but that has become equally as tough to purchase. So my next question since I am headed for a divorce if I buy one more thing for my bike, what would be a good upgrade shox that won't break the bank??? The heavy duty spring is what I like to do, although the thought of an air spring upgrade sounds better. Any advise??? Thanks!
    If, as you say, you are headed for divorce if you buy one more thing for your bike I would say any worthwhile upgrade in the fork category will get you there. The cheapest and wisest thing would be to just buy a new spring that suits your weight and keep that XC 32 as it actually isn't a bad fork for XC. I find it hard to believe that you can't find the right spring. Have you contacted SRAM/Rock Shox directly? Or asked at the lbs? They can order parts like these for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernas View Post
    If, as you say, you are headed for divorce if you buy one more thing for your bike I would say any worthwhile upgrade in the fork category will get you there. The cheapest and wisest thing would be to just buy a new spring that suits your weight and keep that XC 32 as it actually isn't a bad fork for XC. I find it hard to believe that you can't find the right spring. Have you contacted SRAM/Rock Shox directly? Or asked at the lbs? They can order parts like these for you.
    Well if the mrs finds the GPS that I bought and knew that I was remotely thinking about looking at a new fork, yes I will be headed for divorce. Lol

I have been riding the bike since May. I like the bike a lot it's a 2012 Trek Mamba. I am 6'3 250 lbs. Reading this forum I have heard a lot of mixed reviews with this shox. I actually like it. I have bottomed out with it once. I am wondering if there is something better then why not upgrade??? I think I would get the "black" spring. I have been to the LBS and they are very cool. I just thought this would be fun to do on my own. I haven't contacted SRAM or Rock Shox for that matter only because I normally buy online. Now it's a quest to find it. I am open to many ideas and the spring is something I would like to do.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I weigh about the same and I can't hardly make it out of the driveway without bottoming it out. I'm expecting REI to call me anyday to tell me that my spring is in stock with Sram. Sram told them it would be the middle of Oct. Are you planning on getting the X-firm spring($50) and the solo air($80)?
    I am curious how well this fork can perform, I just don't want to spend $200 to do it and then have the integral bushing, or whatever it is, go out and make it a paperweight.

mtbr member
    I weigh about the same and I can't hardly make it out of the driveway without bottoming it out. I'm expecting REI to call me anyday to tell me that my spring is in stock with Sram. Sram told them it would be the middle of Oct. Are you planning on getting the X-firm spring($50) and the solo air($80)?
    I am curious how well this fork can perform, I just don't want to spend $200 to do it and then have the integral bushing, or whatever it is, go out and make it a paperweight.

I don't know? It's either one or he other. Cost sometimes will influence some decisions.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    Does this fork use solo air in addition to, or instead of coil springs? It might be worth keeping if I didn't need to buy both.

Nevermind, I reread the posts and it looks like this question was answered a couple of times. The Solo air replaces the steel spring.
    Last edited by Treebumper; 10-23-2012 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, I'm sold!! Just got to find the darn thing. This would be in my opinion a major upgrade!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Solo Air

Did you replace the spring with the solo air? I am interested in doing the same thing.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I ended up replacing it with a Manitou Tower Pro. Upgrades didn't seem like a good investment for this fork, for me.

mtbr member

New question here.

I couldn't get a straight answer if this was the right thing for me to do. Just short of buying a new fork I changed the spring to a extra firm spring. So far so good. I have noticed a sitter ride ride but haven't given it a real test. That will happen this spring. Merry Christmas everybody!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know where I can get the solo air to convert my XC32 29". Every site I got to says they are out of stock. No, I have not called SRAM yet. I plan to call SRAM tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I Called SRAM and they said I cannot covert to a solo air. They also said they have the extra stiff coil springs in stock but you have to have your local bike shop order from them as they do not sell direct.

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I wonder why you can't covert it. They don't list separate part #'s for the solo air tubes and they started selling a soloair spring before they offered a soloair version of the fork. ]www.ebikestop.com/rockshox_xc32_spring_internals_left_2629_100_solo_ air-FK7508.php[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast