fried not baked
    Sep 2010

RockShox Totem Coil 1.5 or Fox Racing Shox 36 Talas 180 RC2 FIT

Building my blindside cant decide on a front fork. Any suggestions or comments? I cant make up my mind i keep hearing different things. I thought it would be best to post here.

Mainly riding DH, FR and XC

Please help

THanks

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    bump please help anyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When I was in a market for a fork, I narrowed it down to a Lyrik Solo Air RC2DH vs. Talas 180. Then I decided that I didn't need travel adjust and compared Lyrik vs. Fox Float. I did a whole lot of reading (there is a LOT of info in this section on all the different forks in this section) and ended up with the Lyrik Solo Air RC2DH and am very happy with it. I also made a few calls to the different fork/shock tuners (Isotune, PUSH, etc) for some fork feedback and the general consensus was that they preferred Rockshox. I believe it was PUSH that is not even working on/custom tuning 2010+ year Talas forks.

on a side note, you are asking for a comparison of different style forks. I don't think Fox makes a "big" single crown to compare to the Totem. If you're looking at a coil, maybe the Lyrik coil vs. Fox Vanilla is a better comparison. If you're looking for a travel adjust air fork, Lyrik u-turn vs. Fox Talas. Good luck!

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    I can't vouch for the 36 talas, but the totem coil is a tank. I've only had a few rides on it so far and I was concerned with the long fork popping on me on climbs ... but it is too heavy to get any lift. It awkwardly cancels the steepness out on XC.
    Turn around and it is an animal gobbling up everything in sight. I still will probably buy a 180 talas because I do so much climbing.

- L Pivot Firebird
    - DHX 5.0 Air
    - Totem Coil
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben
    I can't vouch for the 36 talas, but the totem coil is a tank. I've only had a few rides on it so far and I was concerned with the long fork popping on me on climbs ... but it is too heavy to get any lift. It awkwardly cancels the steepness out on XC.
    Turn around and it is an animal gobbling up everything in sight. I still will probably buy a 180 talas because I do so much climbing.

- L Pivot Firebird
    - DHX 5.0 Air
    - Totem Coil
    PICS! Sounds like a cool bike man.
    "It looks flexy"

MC MasterShake
    I've owned both. The Totem is the stiffest and burliest of the single crown 7" forks. It's easy to work on and has a real good suspension feel to it. The problem I had with mine was blown dampers and seals. 2 dampers and 4 seals in one season. RS was good about warranty but it was a pain in the arse. I also felt it did not have the small bump compliance that the Talas has, even with the button mod and the dials set to full plush.

I've been on a 180Talas for more than a month and I'm really impressed. I like the dampening more than the Totem (and the 66). It has better small bump and really good midstroke for an air fork. The dials are actually useful for dialing out dive and bottom out. It's also a pound lighter and rides higher in it's travel which does seem to make it more playful and a better climber. I'll be taking it to the lifts tomorrow so we'll see how it holds up. I'm pretty confident it'll do just fine. Obviously I can't comment on reliability.So far so good.

If I were to dedicate my bike to FR/DH riding I'd probably go with a Totem or 66 but if you get a significant amount of trail time in the 36 is the way to go.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    gti, you have seen it. I think you may have ridden it. She is louiffe's old bike. Pictures are on the Pivot board.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you are considering a coil sprung Totem look at either a Float because it is cheaper, lighter, smoother and simpler than a Talas or the Van because it is just as good or better than the Totem. I've been 100% happy with my Van 180 that I bought in August. It has had none of the problems (yet) that either my Totem or 66 have had