mtbr member

Rockshox Tora TK 29 SL vs. Recon Silver SL 29

I am considering two 29er hard tails, which come with different forks. The 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29er is equipped with a Rockshox Recon Silver SL 29 air sprung fork and the 2011 Rockhopper Expert comes with a Tora TK 29 SL coil sprung fork.

What are the differences between these two forks other than the Tora uses a coil spring and the Recon uses an air spring. Both forks have external lockout “SL” and adjustable rebound features. The bicycle specifications say that the Tora has “TK” turnkey dampening—a blow off lock-out valve feature while the Recon fork doesn’t seem to have TK dampening.

Is the Recon worth $150.00 more than the Tora? I may need to purchase a heavy duty spring for the Tora to support my 200 pound weight for $30.00, which closes the gap to $120.00 assuming the Recon doesn’t require a new negative air spring to counter the high pressure in the positive air chamber.

The Tora seems like a better option for me because 1) I like the small bump compliance and linear feel of a coil spring better than a progressive air spring and 2) less maintenance associated with a coil sprung fork. My only concern is durability, which fork will be more durable over the long haul?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am in the same boat, and found this by searching, anyone have any info?

Former Bike Wrench
    -Tora TK uses strait wall steel stanchions, Turn Key damper, and coil spring

-Recon Silver uses tapered 4130 cro-mo stanchions, Turn Key damper, and Solo Air. The SL designates an alloy steerer.

The Recon will be lighter from the Solo Air, alloy steerer, and the tapered stanchions.

Ride.
    Jan 2011
    Tora TK 29 sl on the expert also has the sl alloy steerer. I also prefer spring feel vs air for the most part. I have the fork off the expert on my new hammer 29er build. Seems like a solid fork at this point. I am 200 usually at my lightest mid-late summer. The stock spring is undersprung for me but makes for a really plush ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone else have thoughts on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    before you say anything lisen to this..

The rockhopper series has gone downhill sinse 2011, the value for money is a joke, you talking about the top of the range rockhopper with a recon fork

it used to have reba and decent spec now you asking if the top range rockhopper recon fork is good...

How much money you looking to spend?
    Do you live in europe/UK?

If so, consider....

Canyon bikes, they are direct sales, and tbh taking the bike world by storm with their unbeatable value, and considering the reviews from what mountain bike,bike radar all give top marks.

check out their hardtails

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbi...ke.html?b=2055

£100 cheaper than rockhopper pro, and tbh it slaps it in the face with its spec

Sid fork.full x9
    Avid Elixir list goes on.

i would Really consider canyon bikes even if you go a model below the one listed or two, still beats rockhopper

p.s im a rockhopper fan, i got one, but if i had my time again with ur cash you know who i go...