mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rockshox Tora 302 popping Damper side dust seal

I am trying to help a buddy out with his Tora 302, I figure it's probably a 2007 or 2008.

The damper side (right leg) keeps blowing it's seal and foam ring out of the fork. It's been doing it for a while last year and this year the same is repeatable even after replacing the seals and lower oil. This is easily duplicated by bouncing the wheel around in the driveway so I've tried a few different things:

I've tried taking the oil out of the lowers to make sure that this wasn't a too much oil creating a lot of pressure in the lower legs towards bottom out. It didn't help.

I took the damper top-cap off so that the damper wouldn't generate any pressure, and couldn't leak any pressure into the lowers and blow the seals out. Didn't help.

If I ride the fork without the the bolt that holds the rebound knob to the lowers and provides the seal to the lowers on the damper side then the seals don't pop. Though that's not much of an accomplishment as the lowers will obviously build no pressure in this scenario...

Other than having the wrong seals (I've checked the packaging and the Rockshox spare parts manual and they match) or there being some sort of a fundamental problem with the seal seat area I don't know what's going on here.

ShoeGoo'ing these seals in place or using something to help keep this seal in place is really starting to look good.

Ideas? Suggestions?

moaaar shimz
    Replace the seals with some Racingbros Lycan 32... or tighten the footnuts with the fork partially/fully compressed so that you don't generate too much pressure inside the fork.