mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Rockshox SID Team 2009 issue

Hi MTBR, Need some advice.

I have a Rockshox SID team 2009 model fork (the one with the 28mm stanchions) fitted to my hardtail. Fantastic fork when it was working and I was able to set it up to suit my needs perfectly.

Just recently I have noticed the fork has been bleeding air out of the positive pressure side and would drop in ride height until it was pretty much sitting on the bump stop during a ride. This would force me to use the poplok for fear of damaging the bumpstops. This only happened twice on a ride, and I wasn't carrying my fork pump...Poplok it was...

So I decided to take the bike to my Local Bike Shop (LBS). They sent the fork to the local SRAM dealer (SRAM in Rowville, VIC) who informed my LBS it was a "CSU scratch from the air assembly pin". They didn't have replacement parts (as it was a 2009 model), and suggested I would have to buy another fork! Now a new replacement fork they quoted of equivalent value is approx $650AUD (that's their "special price" due to the 'situation'). I'm not sure how special that is...

Now here's the kicker: I have done a little bit of research on the interwebs and found the Rockshox service manual. The replacement parts for this fork contains a slightly different design, and another O-ring which is supposed to cover the pin, preventing it from scratching the inside of the stanchion and therefore losing air pressure. I would think Rockshox have found this problem (with the pin scratching the CSU) potentially in the field, and have therefore provided a replacement part to fix the issue potentially before it happens, or the newer forks don't have this issue due to the newer design. From memory in 2010 they went to the 32mm stanchion.

The fork is obviously out of warranty. It's four years old...regardless, it isn't supposed to be a "throw away item". Rockshox are meant to carry enough spare parts so if and when one of their forks wears out, you can get replacement parts. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to wear my fork out, but instead it has been damaged due to a design issue of which I have no way of controlling or minimising the occurrence.

Has anyone on here got some advice as to:
    1. Where i can get spare parts and an approx. cost
    2. Where do I stand as a consumer?
    3. Where can I get the equivalent fork (such as a Rockshox SID RLT 2013) at a decent price. OR where can I get a FOX fork, as Rockshox may not deserve my business.
    4. Has anyone else experienced something like this with their SID, or any other Rockshox fork?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBVoodoo View Post
    1. Where i can get spare parts and an approx. cost
    Replacement SID CSU's aren't cheap.

Look for the part number in the Spare Parts Catalog.

http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._spc_rev_c.pdf

* The Spare Parts Catalog looks to list SIDs form 2008 and onwards as having 32mm stanchions.

The following shop has a lot of Rockshox spares and SID CSU's

Petra Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Replacement SID CSU's aren't cheap.
    That's if they still have them!
    I'm expecting them to be very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    * The Spare Parts Catalog looks to list SIDs form 2008 and onwards as having 32mm stanchions.
    I can assure you they are 28mm stanchions. 28mm was specifically for light weight. It may be a 2008 fork.
    Regardless, the new designs (for both my 28mm stanchion forks and the 32mm versions) have the O-ring over the pin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hmmm based on the above comments it may be the fork is actually a 2008 model...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBVoodoo View Post
    Hi MTBR, Need some advice. (snip)
    3. Where can I get the equivalent fork (such as a Rockshox SID RLT 2013) at a decent price. OR where can I get a FOX fork, as Rockshox may not deserve my business.
    Buy one of these: manitou marvel pro | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com

I'm putting one on my wife's bike tomorrow. I can't provide feedback for it, as she is 5'5" on a 16.5" bike and I cannot ride it at speed in any way (6'0"). But I have used a Tower Expert with great results, so I have no reason not to expect the great results.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Pretty good price!
    Let me know what you think.
    I'm thinking of getting the Rockshox SID RLT as a direct replacement. I might be able to get a good price.