mtbr member
    Jul 2007

RockShox SID Dual Air Disassembly Tool?

Doing a teardown on my 06 SID, was wondering if a real world socket exists for removing the dual air piston through the bottom of the uppers. looks like some sort of hollow internal socket would work, and i really don't feel like sourcing the $30+ "official" RS tool. any ideas?

bonked
    If you are totally disassembling the left leg you can get away with pushing the shaft up out of the negative air chamber and using the head of a metric bolt to loosen and remove the nut. Remember it is reverse threaded though, so righty loosey.

Not the best way to do it, but works in a pinch. The bolt hex will need to be 15mm. Use two nuts on the threaded bit, jammed together, as a wrenching surface so you have some way to turn the 'tool' other than vice grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    exactly the tip i was looking for. should i be worried about damaging the piston by pushing it past the internal threads in the uppers? maybe i'll load up the threads with slick honey before i push the piston past.

bonked
    Well, either way you pull it apart it has to go by threads, so grease it up and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!