mtbr member

RockShox Sektor TK Solo Air 130mm travel adjustment

I have a 2011 Kona Tanuki Deluxe with the RockShox Sektor TK Solo Air 130mm fork. I absolutely love this bike. When I got it in February in Michigan the travel was perfect for the XC riding I was doing. I have now however moved back to Oregon where I am riding a great deal of downhill. Much of what I am on now makes me wish I had a bike with a little bit more travel.

I have been reading about my fork and it appears that the travel is actually adjustable from the 130mm it is set at to a max of 150mm. It looks like there are spacers inside the shock that must be removed to give the extra travel. Is this worth doing? Is it something that I could tackle myself (Im fairly mechanical but have no shock experience) or is shock service something that should be left to professionals?

Also, if I change the travel of this fork am I going to dislike what it does to the geometry of the bike?

Thanks,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I wanna know as well. I bought a Sektor RL 150 and wanna take it down to 130 for my XC rig. 'hope someone chimes in.

As far geometry, Dan. FWIK, an 20mm increase gives you a 1 degree HA slack. So you might notice quiker steering and a lighter front on the climbs.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    I have a 2011 Kona Tanuki Deluxe with the RockShox Sektor TK Solo Air 130mm fork. I absolutely love this bike. When I got it in February in Michigan the travel was perfect for the XC riding I was doing. I have now however moved back to Oregon where I am riding a great deal of downhill. Much of what I am on now makes me wish I had a bike with a little bit more travel.

I have been reading about my fork and it appears that the travel is actually adjustable from the 130mm it is set at to a max of 150mm. It looks like there are spacers inside the shock that must be removed to give the extra travel. Is this worth doing? Is it something that I could tackle myself (Im fairly mechanical but have no shock experience) or is shock service something that should be left to professionals?

Also, if I change the travel of this fork am I going to dislike what it does to the geometry of the bike?

Thanks,
    Dan
    I am chiming in a bit late but did you ever find any info out? I have the same bike and am really wanting to get in the 140-150mm range. It would be great to not have to buy a new fork if possible.

mtbr member
    I researched with a local shop and they told me that the fork could be rebuilt at the longer travel setting but it would probably weaken it quite a bit. I just kinda gave up on it and decided I would wait until it wore out and get something different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwill View Post
    I am chiming in a bit late but did you ever find any info out? I have the same bike and am really wanting to get in the 140-150mm range. It would be great to not have to buy a new fork if possible.
    Fellas, here's a couple of helpful links for this:

Workshop: How To Adjust Travel On A RockShox Trail Fork - BikeRadar

Rockshox sektor travel adjustments - Pinkbike Forum

It took me under an hour to do and I was taking my time. Not as messy as I thought. Most important tool too have is circlip pliers (cheap on ebay). Oil is cheaper at your motorcycle dealer. I bought "maxima 15 fork oil" and "Honda 5w" suspension fluid. I'm assuming, anything compatible will do fine. Just REMEMBER, after taking the lowers, you ONLY have to undo the air side (where brakes are attached). Good luck.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Never go back to that shop ever again. That was probably the #1 dumb answer. They basically said 'we can't do basic fork service here' which probably means they don't do much very well.

It's an easy switch. The manuals show all the tools you need. It's kinda hard to screw up if you take your time and follow the directions. It's hard to put it back together wrong with a pictures from the SRAM tech site.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Yep, really really easy to adjust. Rockshox says it's adjustable between 130-150mm but you can keep adding travel spacers to get it where you want to, just know that your air pressure guide is going to be off.

Be sure to grab some Slickoleum/Slick Honey to pack the seals with before you reinstall the lowers. Helps a lot with small bump compliance and minimizing stiction. You can also use it on the air piston o-ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Yep, really really easy to adjust. Rockshox says it's adjustable between 130-150mm but you can keep adding travel spacers to get it where you want to, just know that your air pressure guide is going to be off.

Be sure to grab some Slickoleum/Slick Honey to pack the seals with before you reinstall the lowers. Helps a lot with small bump compliance and minimizing stiction. You can also use it on the air piston o-ring.
    Are the spacers 1 per 10mm? Could I get 140mm out of it? Im not sure I want to go a full 1 HA slack

mtbr member
    Yep, all-travel spacers are 10mm in my experience. There will be the occasional 20mm and your fork might have that one installed already; I feel like my aftermarket Sektor came with 1 20mm spacer and 1 10mm spacer to adjust down to 130mm or 140mm. I picked up a few more spacers and lowered it to 100mm for a slalom bike.

Here's the Rockshox guide to tearing down your Sektor:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/8P...ice_manual.pdf

There are some videos on Youtube showing how to remove lowers, from there you just remove the circlip on the bottom and pull the top cap.

Necessary tools:
    24mm Park Tool cone wrench
    Snap ring pliers
    5mm allen wrench

Optional tools:
    5mm hex socket - easier to hammer to remove press fit of damper and sprint seat, fits into the torque wrench to properly torque the footnuts.
    torque wrench - 100% necessary on forks but listed as optional since you might not want to buy one just for this occasion. Borrow one if you can.
    24mm ground down socket - lets you use the torque wrench on the air spring top cap. Easier than a spanner for removing the top caps. Grind down the beveled edge so that it's flush, and get a 6 sided socket.

Necessary fluids:
    15wt suspension fluid, or Mobile 1 motor oil (I wont recommend it but tons of people have used it successfully)
    Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning inside of stanchions and air piston shaft
    Slickoleum/Slick Honey for greasing air piston o-rings and wiper seals.
    Last edited by GTscoob; 04-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Yep, all-travel spacers are 10mm in my experience. There will be the occasional 20mm and your fork might have that one installed already; I feel like my aftermarket Sektor came with 1 20mm spacer and 1 10mm spacer to adjust down to 130mm or 140mm. I picked up a few more spacers and lowered it to 100mm for a slalom bike.

Here's the Rockshox guide to tearing down your Sektor:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/8P...ice_manual.pdf

There are some videos on Youtube showing how to remove lowers, from there you just remove the circlip on the bottom and pull the top cap.

Necessary tools:
    24mm Park Tool cone wrench
    Snap ring pliers
    5mm allen wrench

Optional tools:
    5mm hex socket - easier to hammer to remove press fit of damper and sprint seat, fits into the torque wrench to properly torque the footnuts.
    torque wrench - 100% necessary on forks but listed as optional since you might not want to buy one just for this occasion. Borrow one if you can.
    24mm ground down socket - lets you use the torque wrench on the air spring top cap. Easier than a spanner for removing the top caps. Grind down the beveled edge so that it's flush, and get a 6 sided socket.

Necessary fluids:
    15wt suspension fluid, or Mobile 1 motor oil (I wont recommend it but tons of people have used it successfully)
    Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning inside of stanchions and air piston shaft
    Slickoleum/Slick Honey for greasing air piston o-rings and wiper seals.
    Hmm, I do not doubt my ability but I do not have anywhere near enough of the tools to do the job right. I will probably just take it in to my LBS then. If only bikes and cars shared the same 'specialty tools'...

mtbr member
    Just to add to this, the correct oil for the main reservoir in the Sektor TK Solo air is 5wt and not 15wt.
    This is the upper oil resevoir that holds 130ml of oil, and the lockout cartridge sits at the top.