mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rockshox Sektor Dual Position

has anyone already managed to experience with one?
    what are your thoughts about it ?

its reminding me old manipuo Black 80-100 travel which technically was the same as this dual spring lock out and was total disaster in real world.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am also very interested if anybody had some experience with these forks. Also, if I get this correctly, it should work on the fly, unlike U-turn?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    bump

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi guys,
    I'm also considering to buy the model year 2012 Rock Shox Sektor RL Dual Position Coil. I checked a lot of sites and documentations already, including the 2012 Rock Shox spare parts list in .pdf. Looks promising, the inside of the fork Sektor looks incredibly simple to me, I would have the chance to service it on my own, at home (in spite of my '08 Fox 32 Talas...). Great!
    But, life is not as simple, I would like to by a 110-140 Dual Position Coil version with 15mm Maxle Lite lowers, which can be purchased only if I would buy the 120-150mm version. OK, but in order to change the travel to 110-140, I thought that I would need to change the 120-150mm stock spring 11.4015.540.080 to the 110-140 version 11.4015.540.030. Am I right, or I missed something?
    Strange, but I saw that tha 2011 Sektor has different CDU+steerer for the 140mm U-Turn (11.4015.498.030) and 150mm U-turn (11.4015.498.040) version (!), so that's why I'm asking it.

Thanks a lot!

Zs

mtbr member
    I don't know about the Dual Position version, but I just bought the Sektor Coil U-Turn 110-150mm. It feels super smooth throughout the travel, performs well in rock gardens, and feels pretty stiff compared to my old Fox Float 140 (QR version). Big hits and fast descents are where this thing really shines. It feels completely smooth, stiff, and inspires confidence on the downhills. At just $350, I think it's a complete steal.

I've fooled with the U-Turn a bit on climbs, but really I think it's unnecessary. It changes the geometry of the bike too much to be useful IMHO. Dialed down to 110mm it feels like I'm hunched over the front end and the wheelbase is super short. It might be useful for long fire road climbs, but for short sections or mixed elevation gain/loss trails it's not useful. 120mm-130mm feels better, but I like the slacked out feeling of 150mm on my bike. I leave it on 150mm and it performs wonderfully.

I will say that it's nice to have the flexibility of the U-Turn to adjust to any bike I put it on. And when it comes time to sell the fork, it will fit just about any bike out there of a potential buyer's.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. In my country the 2011 U-turn is probably still available and quite cheap so it would be great if I could go with that. My only pain is that the lowers are the quick release versions (I have found only QR9 versions). (I will check whether 15mm Maxle Lite is available somewhere or not.)
    At this moment, I cannot devide between a fix travel and the U-turn/Dual Position Coil, I can imagine that you are right and travel adjustment is not really necessary. (I used to use the 100-120-140 positions with my Fox Talas, but probably I could live without travel adjutment.)
    I'm just cheching the 2012 RS parts .pdf, so currently I'm thinking of the following possibilities:
    1) buy a 2011 RS Sektor RL U-turn 15mm Maxle lite (if it's available) and convert it to 140mm travel
    2) buy a 2012 RS Sektor RL coil Maxle Lite and convert it to 140mm travel version
    3) buy a 2012 RS Sektor RL Dual Position Coil Maxle Lite and convert it to 140mm travel
    (So I need to change the spring for all options to the 140mm versions, but it's not so pricey, fortunately)

Pros for 1)
    - cheap, reliable, tough
    - later on, can be converted to the Solo Air version (with PN 11.4015.501.010 and PN 11.4308.327.002, if I'm not mistaken)
    Cons for 1)
    - maybe this model not available anymore in my country
    - convert to 140mm travel achievable not only by changing the springs but changing the 150mm CSU (PN 11.4015.498.040) to 140mm CSU (PN 11.4015.498.030) - not cheap unfortunately

Pros for 2)
    - same as Pros for 1)
    - don't need to change the expensive CSU for 140mm, only the spring from the factory PN 11.4015.499.130 to the 140mm PN 11.4015.499.080
    Cons for 2)
    - (none)

Pros for 3)
    - same as Pros for 1)
    - don't need to change the expensive CSU for 140mm, only the spring from the factory PN 11.4015.540.080 to the 140mm PN 11.4015.540.030
    Cons for 3)
    - (none)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So i am a little lost. Whats the big advantage of the dual position over just the regular u-turn?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckmanEG View Post
    So i am a little lost. Whats the big advantage of the dual position over just the regular u-turn?
    U-Turn you have to turn the key several times to change the travel. Dual Position you hit a button to go up, hit the same button to go down. It's a lot quicker to change on the fly for climbing or descending.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I see thank you for the reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    U-Turn you have to turn the key several times to change the travel. Dual Position you hit a button to go up, hit the same button to go down. It's a lot quicker to change on the fly for climbing or descending.
    Can the Dual Position be ridden hard in the lower position, or is it intended for climbing only?

mtbr member
    Yes, you can ride it normally in either position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So, anyone who has already tried the new 2012 RS Sektor Dual Position Coil please do not hesitate to share his/her experience. (I haven't found any test on the Net yet.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am interested in the u-turn and dual position coil version
    can I adjust the spring preload to change the sag%? I don't see a dial for that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    I am interested in the u-turn and dual position coil version
    can I adjust the spring preload to change the sag%? I don't see a dial for that
    Nope, not for the coil version. It comes stock with a spring for the correct sag for 160-180#, a medium spring I believe. If you are lighter or heavier than that they have light, firm, and x-firm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hm, but spring preload adjustment would be useful I guess... At the end, would I need to go for the Solo Air version without the travel adjustment?
    Anyway, it's quite hard to decide what direction I would go, coil or Solo Air, etc. At this moment my main problem is, I have just chosen my new bike frame which has a tapered head tube, a ZeroStack type.
    But, I cannot buy any tapered version of Sektor. Strange, but all available versions in Europe have 1 1/8 steerers and a new CSU with tapered steerer costs around 200 EUR - while a new Sektor SoloAir or DPC with 15mm Maxle Light cost arould 330-340 EUR, so it would be a quite expensive solution. (Revelations with tapered steerer start at the price 500-550 EUR but that price is too much for me.)
    Maybe this information might be useful to others as well, so I found a 'workaround' for this. The only thing what you need is a Cane Creek ZS/56/30/H4/K (in case of ZS headtube), which costs only ~35-38 EUR. (For intergrated HTs: SHIS/52/30/H1, normal HTs: EC/49/30/H12/K)

Update: sorry I wrote CDU instead of CSU accidentally. Corrected.
    Last edited by semmiho; 12-22-2011 at 03:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree. I have U-turn Tora and for higher travel you have to stop and get of the bike to change the travel. Down adjustment can be made on the fly.
    If I understood correctly, Dual position should do both on the fly and that is big plus for me

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yay, I wanted to buy an RS Sektor DPC and finally I bought a 2011 tapered QR15 Fox 32 Float RL 140 O/B... Nevertheless, I use my Trail/AM bike so often (75-110 miles per week with lots of ascent/descent) so I do need a 'temporary' fork. Therefore I still want the Sektor as well.
    Regarding the dual position coil version, I'm a little bit disappointed because the preload cannot be adjusted on that version, only on the basic coil version. It's a big question, should I go for DPC or a simple coil (or maybe the RL air?) version. Big questions of life.

mtbr member
    If you're outside the weight category of the stock spring (160-180), I would opt for the Solo Air version. If you're in that range, there is no need to worry about preload. Playing with the motion control lever for compression will definitely firm up the suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Sektor Dual Position Coil

If you're outside the weight category of the stock spring (160-180), I would opt for the Solo Air version. If you're in that range, there is no need to worry about preload. Playing with the motion control lever for compression will definitely firm up the suspension.

Just had my Revelation dual air u-turn converted over to a dual position coil (using the DPC coil from a Sektor fork). Both were 120-150mm. Initially the new coil spring seemed increadibly plush and I could get 100% travel from the stock (medium) spring. Unfortunately Rock Shox forgot to send down the top out spring that sits on top of the rebound damper and it was over extending when the fork was unweighted.

Subsequently the top out spring has been fitted but since doing this I can no longer get the last 10-15mm of travel and the very small bump compliance seems to be a little less sensitive.

Would this be a direct effect of the top out spring causing a small amount of compression of the main spring (essentially creating a little preload effect?

Would altering the amount of oil (recommended being 5-8ml of 15 weight) in the left non-drive side lower leg alter this in any way?

I have kept the dual flow rebound and black box motion control dampers that were with the revelation team fork. The feel of the fork is not changed by having the MoCo on the full open position.

The coil spring is still way more sensitive than the dual air "spring" but wondering if I can still improve things further?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Kiwimtbker; 05-27-2012 at 03:21 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with altering a fork, or with Revelation internals, so take this with a grain of salt. Altering the amount of oil will not matter, since it's just a tiny amount of splash lubrication. On the coil side, there really isn't much lube except for the grease on the coil.

The Motion Control knob should have a noticeable effect in the compression. When fully open, the fork should be plush and lively. When fully closed it should be very stiff and only compress a couple inches. If this is not the case, I'd pull off the top cap on the right side and make sure the oil level is correct. If you're unsure, just pour it out and add the proper amount in (125cc of 5wt I think).

If you're under or around 160#, I would try using the light spring. If you're not getting full travel and are losing some small bump sensitivity, that would point towards a spring that is too stiff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for that. Yes the MoCo is working really well. Other than there only seems to be 3 functional settings - fully open, and 5, 6 clicks fully closed where you can definitely feel the low speed compression working. Clicks 2,3, & 4 really don't seem to appreciably change things. I have seen this commented about in numerous other posts so suspect this is just how the MoCo is designed.

I'm 78kg and the stock spring is for riders 72-81kg. So theoretically should be able to get almost 100%travel. I suspect you are correct though that the spring may just be a little stiff. (Particularly given RS recommended air pressure settings are way too high on their air forks) My sag settings are a little on the low side and there is no way of adjusting preload with this coil system.

I think I will try finding a soft / yellow spring and see how this feels.

Cheers