mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Rockshox reverb can be pulled up by hand

Hi

I just noticed that my saddle (mounted on a RockShox reverb) can be pulled upwards by hand (though, falling down to starting position when I let go!). Is this normal? The reason I ask, is that I normally lift my bike grabbing the saddle and the handlebar. I have done this several times but haven't noticed until now, that the seat post is extended when I pull it by hand.

Using the switch on the handlebar works fine for rising and lowering the saddle, so no problems there...

Best regards,

Søren

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thats what i noticed the last time i rode. i thought one distinct feature the reverb has over other dropper post is that it supposedly should not move when it has been adjusted to a lower position.

product manager explicitly mentions it at around :55 mark
    RockShox Reverb seatpost First look - YouTube

will have to check mine again as i did not think it was much to fuss about...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, it looks like he also applies a tiny bit of horizontal force aswell.. if I do so too, the saddle won't come up.. I don't really care too much about it - just wanted to make sure that nothing crucial was broken..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Mine did not do this when I first installed it, but I just noticed mine having the same behavior this weekend.

I haven't looked into it a bit as it doesn't affect the function of it, but I wonder what has caused it. When I pull up on mine, it's like you are compressing an air spring...which may indicate air in the reverb fluid. I bleed will more than likely fix it, but it makes me wonder how the air got in there?

If the air spring portion of the reverb leaks internally, does it put air in other places that are sealed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    Mine did not do this when I first installed it, but I just noticed mine having the same behavior this weekend.

I haven't looked into it a bit as it doesn't affect the function of it, but I wonder what has caused it. When I pull up on mine, it's like you are compressing an air spring...which may indicate air in the reverb fluid. I bleed will more than likely fix it, but it makes me wonder how the air got in there?

If the air spring portion of the reverb leaks internally, does it put air in other places that are sealed?
    I am almost 100% sure that mine didn't do this in the beginning, as well... My first thoughts were air entering the system aswell.. I have contacted SRAM - I'll let you know when I hear from them..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If I were inclined to look into it, then I would check the air pressure, followed by a full bleed. I suspect that would eliminate the issue...for how long..who knows?

I hate working on stuff since that's what I do for a living...I'll probably end up messing with mine when I have to use that little collar that holds up the seat in the event of a failure

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    oh noh.. do get us informed as to what SRAM says so i can bring mine to the LBS if needed.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Mentioned here in the Reverb thread - RockShox Reverb Thread specifically posts 1173 & 1174
    Plenty of other info here that relates to Reverbs as well, so worth the read IMO.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Mentioned here in the Reverb thread - RockShox Reverb Thread specifically posts 1173 & 1174
    Plenty of other info here that relates to Reverbs as well, so worth the read IMO.
    that is quite comforting knowing that after i checking my reverb, it is behaving exactly the same. although i cannot be certain if this was the case when i initially got the reverb along with my RF PRO (although almost certain it wasn't the case). i will just have to keep an eye on it.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleyou View Post
    Hi

I just noticed that my saddle (mounted on a RockShox reverb) can be pulled upwards by hand (though, falling down to starting position when I let go!). Is this normal? The reason I ask, is that I normally lift my bike grabbing the saddle and the handlebar. I have done this several times but haven't noticed until now, that the seat post is extended when I pull it by hand.

Using the switch on the handlebar works fine for rising and lowering the saddle, so no problems there...

Best regards,

Søren
    do you have a left handed or a right handed remote? did you modify it in anyway?

reason i am asking is that i have a left handed remote that i mounted on my right hand side at the bottom of my bar. i got the idea from one of the reverb threads here. this modification in mounting prevents the remote from getting damaged when the MTB is positioned upright.
    http://www.mtbriding.com/wp-content/...1/DSC02252.jpg
    hopefully this is not a causing a problem to the reverb seatpost.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks mate!
    Also, in post 1233 an onwards, it's mentioned that the user's manual states that it's pretty normal

RockShox Reverb Thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Page 8: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/7o...-000_rev_a.pdf

However, I'm not sure if this is for the 2011 model or the 2012 model?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

ill be darned!!! I GOT THIS PROBLEM FIXED.

i remember to have read a REVERB post aside from what was mentioned earlier here, about the owner checking the Air pressure on his REVERB and he found out it was under the recommended 250 psi.

so i decided to check the PSI on mine and guess what it was! it was at 130 PSI! so adjusted the PSI to approximately 250 psi. approximate because unfortunately my SHOCK PUMP releases air when i unscrew it. (suggestions as to a SHOCK PUMP that will accurately provide AIR PRESSURE will be very much appreciated)

after adding the air pressure, problem was gone. REVERB seatpost did not budge when i tried to lift it up from the saddle. this leads me to two theories.

1. since i think i did not have this problem initially, could it be that the seatpost had the suggested 250psi but has started to leak hence its at 130 now? im doubting this though, since the post i read, the owner was upset that the REVERB did not come with factory suggested PSI. now, if its a leak issue, where and how could be leaking?

2. the LBS did not put in the correct AIR PRESSURE when they assembled my MTB. but how can this be? im inclined to think the seatpost came in with the bike installed to the frame from TREK, but then again if this was not the case, how can the LBS miss the marking on the REVERB air valve cover that clearly shows 250 PSI?

my golly... hopefully having the correct air pressure will be a permanent fix. NOW if i can just find a shock pump that is accurate enough to provide the correct air pressure, ill be set.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    i remember to have read a REVERB post aside from what was mentioned earlier here, about the owner checking the Air pressure on his REVERB and he found out it was under the recommended 250 psi.

so i decided to check the PSI on mine and guess what it was! it was at 130 PSI! so adjusted the PSI to approximately 250 psi. approximate because unfortunately my SHOCK PUMP releases air when i unscrew it. (suggestions as to a SHOCK PUMP that will accurately provide AIR PRESSURE will be very much appreciated)

after adding the air pressure, problem was gone. REVERB seatpost did not budge when i tried to lift it up from the saddle. this leads me to two theories.

1. since i think i did not have this problem initially, could it be that the seatpost had the suggested 250psi but has started to leak hence its at 130 now? im doubting this though, since the post i read, the owner was upset that the REVERB did not come with factory suggested PSI. now, if its a leak issue, where and how could be leaking?

2. the LBS did not put in the correct AIR PRESSURE when they assembled my MTB. but how can this be? im inclined to think the seatpost came in with the bike installed to the frame from TREK, but then again if this was not the case, how can the LBS miss the marking on the REVERB air valve cover that clearly shows 250 PSI?

my golly... hopefully having the correct air pressure will be a permanent fix. NOW if i can just find a shock pump that is accurate enough to provide the correct air pressure, ill be set.
    Any shock pump with a 2-stage 'connector' or 'valve head' (some use different terminology) will work. Off the top of my head, Sette makes one and Cane Creek has one that is made by SKS.

Edited to add- Topeak has this pump on Amazon as well.
    Amazon.com: Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Sweet! Where is the valve located? I'll check my pressure too!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    At the bottom of the post.

mtbr member

Your LBS would not set the pressure of the Reverb, as it comes pre-filled from RS. In saying that, it does seem to be quite common for the posts to be under filled from the factory, but I still would'nt blame the bike shop for not checking it.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Any shock pump with a 2-stage 'connector' or 'valve head' (some use different terminology) will work. Off the top of my head, Sette makes one and Cane Creek has one that is made by SKS.

Edited to add- Topeak has this pump on Amazon as well.
    Amazon.com: Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump: Sports & Outdoors
    thanks. ended up ordering the Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump. Looks like it has good reviews.

you'd have to take out the seatpost and its at the bottom of the seatpost the valve cover is marked "250 PSI".

Your LBS would not set the pressure of the Reverb, as it comes pre-filled from RS. In saying that, it does seem to be quite common for the posts to be under filled from the factory, but I still would'nt blame the bike shop for not checking it.
    that probably explains the under pressure. was not blaming the LBS. i was not sure if they were the one's who put in the air or the factory. they most likely just assembled it, along with the other parts of the bike also assuming that, the suggested PSI is in place.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just increased the pressure to 250 PSI (according to my bontrager pump)... I can still extend the post by hand, though

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Reverb post air loss and solution

I just increased the pressure to 250 PSI (according to my bontrager pump)... I can still extend the post by hand, though
    Hi, I had this problem. It's a loss of air pressure and it is easily resolved. You do not need to bleed anything or send the post in for repair.

The problem is caused because the air valve at the bottom of the seat post screws into the air cylinder. If the thread loosens and the rubber "o" ring at the top of the valve body thread is dry then air escapes in tiny gaps between the air cylinder and the valve head.

Solution:

1. Turn the reverb post upside down.
    2. Remove the metal "O" ring surrounding the valve
    3. Push the seat down so you can access the black valve body at the end of the grey air cylinder. The valve body should simply unscrew.
    4. At the top of the screw thread for the valve body you should notice a tiny ribber "o" ring. I applied a little thick grease to this.
    5. I then wound some plumber's tape around the thread and screwed it back into the air cylinder. I only needed to get the fit finger tight.
    6. Put it back together and pump it up.

Works for me so far. Think the plumber's tape helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Use Loc Tite

I have dismantled and "repaired" over 5 of these, some of them multiple times. Most were 2011 versions, some 2012's. Every single one of them had the same failure as described above. I even have another one to do tonight.

Simple fact is that the air seal undoes itself over time. Period.

In my experience the only long term fix (which still fails on occasion) is to clean the threads on the air seal as much as possible using a degreaser, whilst being careful not to lose any oil in the process - and then apply blue loctite to the threads and tighten with tools. Finger tight as described above, is nonesense.

You should be careful not to pinch the o-ring on re-assembly.

I would strongly recommend periodic checks - once you know what you do start to stop including parts cleaning is about 15 minutes. Way better than having a mid epic failure.....been there, done that.

Its beyond me why this is an issue that wasn't designed out during testing.

Still, when it works, the product is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Reverb movement

Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post

Look at the the max pressure. With adequate pressure it will perform fine, but if you let the air pressure drop it will move all about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How did you check the pressure? The air chamber is a Reverb is very small, so attaching a shock pump to this will drop the pressure significantly, maybe by 50-100psi. A dedicated low-loss gauge would be the only way to get close to an accurate pressure.

I also side with the point that the LBS is not at fault for the pressure, even if it was actually wrong. As a mechanic myself, I would just install the post, check the operation, and not change anything provided it was working fine. Bikes come to a shop partially assembled, and tearing every bike down to its smallest parts and checking that everything is done by the book would add an astronomical labour charge to each bike.