Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RockShox Revelation Setup

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  balling 
#1 ·
Just bought a 85-130mm Coil Revelation and I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do with it. I'm riding the standard spring but I'm trying to decide if I should move up to the next spring size. I'm afraid to go to the black spring because being close to the recommended limit (180) I'd worry that it would be to hard.
So, question
A. Should I move up to Blue spring (160lbs-180lbs) or go to Black (<180)?
B. Is that blue motion lever like a spring tension lever? I'm not getting that whole thing with the relief valve.
Basically what i want to do is set this fork up once and not touch it again, that's why I went from air to coil. I'm not new to mtbing I'm just not a big techy guy.

How's that for a vague group of questions.

#3 ·
A. Get geared up and get on your bike. If the fork sags 25-33% percent of travel than you've got the right spring. If it sags past that I'd think about switching to the black.

B. No, the spring is on the opposite leg of the blue knob. The blue knob controls the motion control unit (compression damping).

#5 ·
For what ever the reason, RS coil forks yields only 10-15mm sag even when you have correct spring for your body weight. I have Recon and Pike coil and they both have stock red med spring in them. I weigh 155 w/o gear and only get 12-15mm sag. Feels pretty darn plush though. Technically they should have 25-35mm sag based on their advertised travel when using 25% sag rule. To compensate for lack of sag, I just crank down the u-turn to achieve the correct ride height on the front end.

Recently I purchased the softest spring RS make for Pike and dropped it in. Spring was rated for 145lbs rider or less. I did managed get 25mm sag on Pike...still on the low side IMO. Fork felt much plusher but I felt the "real" bottoming for the first time on this fork. It felt pretty harsh and abrupt when it did. It doesn't seem like Pike have any sort of bottom out bumper inside the fork. I only felt two or three bottoming during 1hr ride so I am not too concerned but I will be going back to med spring at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.